↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Focal Speakers, or not.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
leonvh

Belgium 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Barolo Black
Last year I upgraded the speakers in my 110 also to 130 Focals. In the rear the same as you, in the front I installed the PS130F. The ones in the rear were an immediate improvement. The ones in he front were a bit of a dissapointment. It was just like the head-unit was struggling to give them enough power to work well. And maybe that was indeed the issue if you look at the flimsy speaker-cables that are used.

Just a few weeks ago I installed a Focal FD2.350 digital amplifier in my under-cubbybox safe using new speaker-cables. Now that was an immediate improvement! Enough power now, and now dissapointed I did not get the 4-channel version to also power the rear speakers...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #611366 22nd Mar 2017 12:58pm
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Oh dear - it all starts to add up!!

Does anyone know of a sub that also contains a 4 channel amp - like the Focal iBus 2.1 but 4.1 instead? 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #611367 22nd Mar 2017 1:09pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
my fronts are running from a 2 channel lightening audio amp. its nothing expensive or fancy but its well worth fitting for the front speakers.

the rears are directly from the headunit and I plan to keep it that way when I fit the focals. My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #611387 22nd Mar 2017 2:23pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
datcullen wrote:
Oh dear - it all starts to add up!!

Does anyone know of a sub that also contains a 4 channel amp - like the Focal iBus 2.1 but 4.1 instead?

Not to my knowledge, a 5 Channel amp or a mono piggy backed onto 4 channel are pretty much your options.
Post #611524 22nd Mar 2017 11:07pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The Focals are in, no problems, fairly straightforward. I read as much info as possible on the forum before starting, that was a great help, there was loads of it too!

Rear PC130's. They went in really easy, about 2 hours to do the job. I used a Dremel to cut the panel and flatten the ribs in a small area. At the RH side the speaker was very close to a previously fitted 12v socket, luckily all ok though.

Click image to enlarge

Refitted the panels, then the speakers. It would be best to fit Dynamat while the panel is out, but I didn't have any.
Bigger speakers may go in, but would need more work.

Click image to enlarge

Front 130KR. Fairly easy, but did need all the modifications expected, cutting the dash, reshaping the heater duct, also some slight trimming of thr fuse box covers to clear the grilles.
Tweeters went straight in, no trimming of the hole required.

Click image to enlarge

The lower dash hole was increased by shaving it with a sharp knife. The Dremel would have made a mess in there with plastic chips.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The crossover fitted with 2 fly leads, long one output to woofer, short one for input. The input lead avoided cutting the connectors off the vehicle wiring. If I later fit an amp, there will be a new wire direct from the amp to the crossover.

Click image to enlarge

Connected up

Click image to enlarge

Woofer fitted.

Click image to enlarge

Fuse box lid trimmed.

Click image to enlarge

No major problems after all the good advice on here. Bow down
If you're not confident to cut the dash, or want to preserve it, the 4" KRS100 should be a straight forward fit, no cutting and could all go back to standard.

What does it sound like?
The Rear was done first and used for a few days with the factory fronts, tweeters and active sub. The difference they made was amazing for 1 pair of speakers. They filled in the mid bass missing between the sub and old 4", sound really punchy and no distortion when turned up. If you're doubtful about upgrading, try this first! Thumbs Up

The front didn't have the same immediate impact, the rear had already massively improved things!
Once set up the difference was noticeable, the tweeters need their level turning down a bit, I adjusted the head unit but will try the settings on the crossover later, -3db will probably do it. Vocals are crisp and clear, loads of detail in the music that I hadn't heard before too. Lots of advice to amp these speakers, which I trust, but as a simple upgrade without an amp they do work well.

Last edited by DSC-off on 1st Apr 2017 7:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #613813 1st Apr 2017 5:47pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
While I'm really happy with the speaker upgrades, and will enjoy it as it is for a while, further changes would be substantial.
To add an amp using pre outs will need a new head unit, the 133bt only having 1 pre out currently used for the active sub. A DAB head unit with 3 pre outs would be my preference. Then there's the amp, the active sub then may not be able to keep up. Where does it all end once you start? Laughing

As I said, enjoy it as it is for now.
Thanks to all that gave inspiration, opinions and good advice. Bow down
Post #613820 1st Apr 2017 6:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123