↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Reverse light switch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
"I'll say again the UK is in the EU..... (whether you like it or not) building and selling a car in the uk is building and selling a car in the EU. "
At the moment yes, not in a couple of years time.
It'll be interesting to see what will apply at a later date, probably an inclusion of conformity but not a legal obligation.
As we'll transfer to UK laws, not EU laws.
Providing the vehicle stays in the UK & providing the UK exists by then in the same format.

That aside, ref lights on trailers.
Not sure about reverse lights having to be fitted post 2012, I bought mine brand new in spring 2014 and came with 12N & no reverse lighting.
I guess it'll be implemented though over time, I had the option to go 13 pin but didn't really want to after laying out what I paid on top. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #610338 18th Mar 2017 6:55pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi this has turned into a very interesting topic,it's interesting that it's passed the mot for the last 5 years with no reverse light,there will definitely be one fitted for the next one,just out of interest when it is released from the military is it just a matter of asking for a new reg no or does it have to be inspected and then issued with a registration no Thumbs Up cheers Paul Tash n Barney
Post #610386 18th Mar 2017 8:35pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
Mate get over it, we are leaving, and it's because of reasons just like this.. Eurocratic nonsense.. IT IS NOT IN THE MOT, THEREFORE IT IS NOT UK LAW.

Having said that Trailers built after june/july 2012 can't remember exact date, do have to comply with EU regs, but I think that only applies to braked trailers and there is talk about reversing lights for cars in the IVA test... but it's very unclear as to whether they are required, just if they are there then they must do this and not that. And that is from .gov.org not a German light manufacturer, I'm suprised that they haven't said that you need marker lights down the side and on the roof too Rolling Eyes

I dare say that if you are making them then you have to fit them, but if it hasn't got them then they are optional... which strangely enough is the description of reversing lights in the Road Traffic Act..Optional.

Like most thing legal the UK has either ignored it or overlooked it... I believe that it is still a legal requirement for hackney carriages to carry hay / oats to feed the horse... you don't see that one getting enforced much Rolling Eyes

Maybe there are country lanes near London full of badly parked black cabs, with their drivers feeding horses over the fence Laughing RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #610400 18th Mar 2017 9:06pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
But we're still in the EU. The MOT is not definitive of uk law. Illustrated by aftermarket HID conversions, they're not legal but can Pass an MOT. There's nothing for me to "get over"

UNECE is now admistered by the UN so I would expect once we leave the eu it will still apply.

Last edited by zsd-puma on 18th Mar 2017 11:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #610415 18th Mar 2017 9:44pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
What ever happens they will definitely not back date it, so even if reversing lights are a requirement the first mention is the middle of 2012, so provided your car is more than 4 years old you can Ner Ner at the EU

So Ner Ner Ner Ner EU Ner Ner Ner Ner My car is 29 years old....... oh wait a minute... Rolling Eyes In have reversing lights... D'OH! Sad .... Exclamation Maybe I'll paint them red out of defiance Mr. Green RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #610420 18th Mar 2017 9:52pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
2012 for new trailers as you pointed out. Cars are 1979, which is when the UK signed up to the UNECE rules i think, rear fog lights came in a little later. Although there may be a different date for 'commercial vehicles'. But you're right it can't be back dated if your car was built before that.

Just like tow bars are supposed to be type approved for cars, but not light commercial vehicles.

The German light manufacturer is quoting the UN rules, of which the UK is a signatory, there is a UNECE site, but it's not as well presented as the Hella document.
http://www.unece.org/wp29.html

You do need side marker lights once the vehicle is over a certain length, which is why the larger Ifor trailers have them, but smaller ones don't. Outline markers on the front and rear once you get over a certain width/height too i think.
Post #610448 18th Mar 2017 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123