↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > 2003 TD5 Coolant System over pressurising
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Leakage from that pesky plug is very common, and, provided that it is only a minor weep doesn't really matter, just keep the coolant level well up. I have been meaning to get round to sorting a weep from my Disco 2 for the last 12 years and 150,000 miles, but it is still weeping.
Post #609427 14th Mar 2017 5:51pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
hplp wrote:
Sorry mate.....Id be leaning towards HGF caused by low water.....

Unfortunately thats not the first time Ive seen that core plug leaking....

H
g

Oh goodness you found me! Big Cry thought I was safe here... Rolling Eyes good to hear from you Hugh.

Going to be very lean month next month. I have already prep'd the family that they'll be lucky to get a cadburys mini egg this Easter... Wink

I think I am more annoyed by the theft of me snorkel top... That's just low down n dirty!
Post #609499 14th Mar 2017 10:06pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
Leakage from that pesky plug is very common, and, provided that it is only a minor weep doesn't really matter, just keep the coolant level well up. I have been meaning to get round to sorting a weep from my Disco 2 for the last 12 years and 150,000 miles, but it is still weeping.

It would appear there are a good number of you good fellows that have suffered the same fate, perhaps a new support group needs to be set up - the TD5HGF condolence society...

Have to say that the ol gal is nearly up to 172k miles and this is really the first big thing to go wrong with the engine, injector looms, manifolds, turbos, fuel heater leaks, fpr leaks and an injector death... So a great engine all in all. The daft thing and perhaps this is the epitome of insanity, I wouldn't change her for the world. i would rather repair and repair the repairs than buy a disposable euro-box...

I am inclined to think the core plug is a symptom rather than the cause. So whilst the HG is sorted the plug will be too... Ooo eck I really hope there is nothing else lurking in the shadows... Cracked head etc... Please oh pretty please!

Perhaps my vicarly step father would consider calling on some Devine assistance on my behalf. Sure he must have a direct line to him upstairs... Rolling Eyes
Post #609502 14th Mar 2017 10:18pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
For that core plug, you will need to remove the exhaust manifold to have access. It's unfortunate, but really the only way to do it. Hopefully you don't snap off any studs, that becomes a real chore.

Positive thinking!!!

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #609544 15th Mar 2017 7:17am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Also had headgasket failure....New head for me Sad 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #609562 15th Mar 2017 9:27am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
HI CDN. Always a positive thinker, got to be, too many miserable folks around. Surround yourself with positive people is the only way forward.

Thankfully... I have only just replaced the manifold, studs and turbo. So all should be relatively corrosion free. I suspect though that the entire head is going to have to come off to fix the underlying problem of a HGF due to... plastic dowels?! a higher mileage engine or just bad luck.

I will however not be doing this job myself on account of not having anywhere to do this large job and no sensible way of getting the vehicle back to the farm.
Post #609564 15th Mar 2017 9:35am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
excossack wrote:
Also had headgasket failure....New head for me Sad

Big Cry Big Cry Oh dear... Cracked I take it? if you do not mind me asking how much did that set you back and from whom did you get it from?
Post #609566 15th Mar 2017 9:36am
excossack

Not sure if cracked or not, just know it failed pressure test. Wasn't leaking a huge amount nor pressurising the header tank that I recall, just the water level kept dropping. Some days worse than others for water level.
Tried sniff tests (a couple of and all showed as no fault found)

After 4/5 years all is well with the new AMC head. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #609572 15th Mar 2017 9:45am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Interesting. I too have been having random water level fluctuations over the past 12 months or so. Never found a leak. Perhaps this has been gradually getting worse for some time.

I did have a coolant pressure test 3-4 years ago prior to heading to Gib and that gave the system a clear bill of health.

lifes rich tapestry and all that.
Post #609610 15th Mar 2017 1:32pm
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I just picked up my bill... ouch!

And I checked, it already had a steel dowel, he was as confused as me as to why the gasket was leaking.

Click image to enlarge
Post #609660 15th Mar 2017 6:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Just a thought. Could a failing water pump cause over pressurisation of the coolant system??
Post #609709 15th Mar 2017 9:55pm
CDN38

Looks like I have been sucked into the vortex... I have been dealing with an issue of no heat. Replaced the thermostat, water pump, and radiator.. still the top of the radiator is hot, and the bottom of of it is cold, the thermostat isn't opening for some reason (or at least there's no flow through it). Explanation seemed to be an air pocket in the cooling system, seemed to make sense.

Latest symptom is the, coolant reservoir is now over pressurized and blowing the reservoir cap. Has to be the head gasket, or head.

Last year when I did my restoration and I replaced the core plug, I ran into an issue. After replacing the plug, I checked it by pressure testing the system. No leaks, but the truck sat, pressurized for a couple months. When I went to start it... hydraulic lock up in #1. Removed the glow plug, cleared it out, and life went on as normal. However I knew that the gasket or head has a very small leak, and it would eventually need to be done.

So, it's time, the over pressurized blowing reservoir cap tells the story, but I'm still confused as to the no heat issue. What is stopping the coolant flow?

If anyone has experienced their before.... let me know. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #610233 18th Mar 2017 6:52am
excossack

Hows the head/coolant situation? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #611645 23rd Mar 2017 5:39pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Update: soooo I have had quite a bit done to the ol Fender this past week or so. Call it amassing age related issues... Whistle

After the coolant explosions I dropped it off at my local Indy as I do not have the space time or my tools with me at the moment. Upon talking to the owner, whom I have known for donkeys and trust to give me a direct answer, even if I don't want to hear it.. Rolling Eyes he did not think the coolant explosion was the head, but the water pump seizing during hard (hot) driving, causing the coolant to overheat, pressure increases and Kah-boom... I thought that was a possible explanation as both times the coolant blew I was pushing quite hard and the Inbetween times driving nice and gentle like with no problems at all. So worth a try...

They took the water pump off and replaced it with one I have carried as a spare for a few years. Noticed the pas pump dog drive was gnarled up so replaced that as well and a pas pipe that had perished badly and put a new pas box on as well... Steering is awesome again, if a little heavy, hoping things just need to bed in a bit.

The coolant side of things looks good too, temp sitting just left of vertical which it hasn't done for a good number of years. Wonder if this has been slowly coming on. Only issue is that the block drain plug that I asked them to repair they failed to do, which is entirely irritating and now I will have to revisit doing it myself as it is weeping quite badly. So hoping that is the only reason the coolant is going down. Job for Easter...

Does anyone know if there is a seal associated with the drain plug, cannot see one in my parts book or is it just the threads that seal the hole?
Post #613367 30th Mar 2017 8:17pm
CDN38

excossack wrote:
Hows the head/coolant situation?

New head is en-route from Turner, due to arrive on Monday.

Basically, as soon as the engine starts to warm up, it's pressurizing the coolant tank. Not driving it any more than a few minutes to the store or work. Big Cry (basically before the temp starts to go up). it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #613368 30th Mar 2017 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>