↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma Alternator Pulley.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Snorkers

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Puma Alternator Pulley.
Just thought I'd share my recent problem and solution regarding my alternator pulley.

Recently my 2.4 TDCI has been getting noisier at low revs and idle. A loud mechanical clatter from the front drivers side (RHD) which sounded worst at the point of shutting the engine off.

This was not the usual bearing sound of a pulley bearing failing or drive belt chatter. I was afraid it might have been behind the timing case.

To track it down, I slackened the serpentine belt tensioner and slipped the belt off. On restarting the noise was gone - so the noise was in the belt/pulley path. The engine can be run with the vehicle at rest in this state. But not for long. The battery warning light will illuminate, and there is no coolant circulating. All the pulleys and idlers felt ok (96,000 miles), then I paid closer attention to the alternator pulley

This is an over run decoupler pulley. I.e. it drives in one direction but free-wheels in the other. On checking it seemed to lock and drive fine in one direction, but when rotated in the opposite direction it did not always freewheeling and partially locked/grabbed. I reasoned that this was the source of the clanking at idle as the pulley grabbed and released sporadically.

Land rover don't list a part number for the puller (nor do Ford for that matter) however Dingbro motor factors do. Alternator Freewheel Pulley - 53501280 priced at 37.70 plus vat and they had one in stock.

I needed to purchase an alternator pulley tool (Laser part no 3307 -M10 spline for BMW,Ford, Mercedes, VAG 16.4Cool It is almost impossible to remove or replace the pulley without the tool.

Once the new pulley was fitted and torque to 85'm, I replaced the belt and the noise is now gone.

Sorry if this is a bit 'wordy' but but the noise of the failed decoupled pulley really was awful. I was fearing the worst! There are numerous threads about strange noises some with speculation as to the cause however this one has been decisively cured. Its now quieter that I can ever recall and the info about the pulley being available as a part might save someone a few hundred pounds against the cost of needlessly replacing the whole alternator.

Sorry there are no picks as I'm not very with it regarding IT. Removal of the fan shroud (6 dzeuss fastener screws provides access, and other threads detail removal of the belt - a 3/8" square drive extension into the end of the tensioner arm is required.

Hope that this information may be of some benefit to others. I've not posted much, but I've gleaned countless pieces of info from this site over the years and hope I can give something back

Regards as always

Snorkers Very Happy
Post #609184 13th Mar 2017 7:02pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
good info, will help someone I'm sure Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #609279 14th Mar 2017 5:32am
spudfan

Ireland 
Thumbs Up
Must remember this. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #609350 14th Mar 2017 11:29am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
I had a similar problem with a 2.4 Ford Transit at 130,000 km. Would sound like a bag of spanners at idle however the noise always sounded as though the noise was coming from the top of the engine. Unfortunately this had me checking for problems in the wrong spot.

After a heap of mucking around I eventually found that the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer?) was failing. The rubber had broken down between the outer and inner part of the pulley which would then allow the two outer and inner parts of the pulley to contact each other at idle under the tension of the belt. When revs increased, centrifugal force would take over and the noise would disappear. It would have eventually separated and caused damage to items such as the radiator. I don't know if the 2.4 Defender is the same pulley as the 2.4 Ford Transit.

My 2.2 Defender also has a composite style crankshaft pulley although different to the 2.4 Transit and probably 2.4 Defender.. There should be no noticable side to side movement of the pulley components. The new Transit pulley was rock solid. If the bits move freely relative to the inner and outer section, it is likely on the way out. Another tell tale was that fine dust was evident around the deteriorating pulley as the rubber was breaking down and the metal to metal contact was creating the dust. The other sign that helped me find the problem was that looking down at the pulley during idle, it would tend to shift and not run 100% true at times. Hindsight is a wonderful thing when you know what the problem is!
Post #609353 14th Mar 2017 11:37am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Crank damper failure is common on the Mondeo 3 and Jaguar X-Type, which then wears out the tensioner, most people just replace the tensioner only for it to fail again a few months later. Jaguar did an upgrade kit with a larger heavier crank damper. I suspect the upgraded damper pulley is just from a transit as it has an extra belt way on it.

I've not heard wide spread comments about defender crank dampers failing like they do on the Jaguars though?
Post #609359 14th Mar 2017 11:54am
pannawonica

Australia 
Thanks Snorkers for a most useful post! Thumbs Up I have learnt something new, keep it coming, for many of us (me) it may have take much time and $s too sort! Very Happy
Post #609368 14th Mar 2017 12:33pm
M94PUMA

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Hi there,I'm just about to do this to my alternator, I'm guessing you can do it all with the viscous fan still in place?
Is it as simple as just unscrew with the tool and screw the new one back in? And 85NM tourqe?
Thanks
Post #652704 25th Sep 2017 5:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Useful info.
I think new ones are around 152 or similar amount as a whole unit. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #652706 25th Sep 2017 5:14pm
M94PUMA

My alternator clicking on tick over, soon as revs increased its goes away,
Post #652719 25th Sep 2017 5:37pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
M94PUMA

Mine does that, I thought it was the standard Defender tick over. Oh well something else to do. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #652869 26th Sep 2017 9:11am
M94PUMA

No it shouldn't sound like that Wink mines only started doing it recently, for the first 10 seconds after starting and then it will go away, soon as you turn all the lights on & radio subwoofer etc putting a draw on the battery it will click away!
Got the special pulley removing tool coming today and new pulley coming tomorrow so will write a review of the job!
Cheers
Post #652883 26th Sep 2017 10:21am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
wow - very interesting - I occasionally hear something similar but thought it was my EGR!!! Better look closer later... Thanks for sharing Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #652926 26th Sep 2017 12:39pm
M94PUMA

Well chaps, just did the whole job in the rain and it took no more than 15 minutes start to finish,
6 screws take radiator fan top cover off, rachet and small extension just release the belt off the tensioner, put the tool onto the old pulley, hold 17mm spanner on outer of the tool, clockwise on the rachet to undo it, old one comes off, new pulley on, tool onto the pulley, then tighten back up to 85NM, slip belt back on, radiator fan housing cover back on, job done!!!!!
All noises gone away!!!
So so simple to do,
Pulley was 32 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232409534488
Tool was 16 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002V9P76...ATQ0XTT6ZQ

Total of 48 as opposed to 200+ for a new alternator!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Cool Wink
Post #653192 27th Sep 2017 4:40pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Well had the alternator pulled replaced and a complete idler pulley which was in a bad state due to the bearing having collapsed ,while in for a service and the fitting of a new Radiator (under warranty) which I had found to be leaking. The mechanic called it a Censored of a job as everything was solid . Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #660038 28th Oct 2017 12:32pm
davidpalfreyman

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
M94,

Thanks for your comments on the alternator pulley. Does the same pullet fit on all the different alternators that LR used? Mine is a Bosch 021615003. The Haynes manual mentions 4 different altenators but the Bosch isn't mentioned
Thanks
Dave
Post #808057 30th Dec 2019 1:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>