↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Older people and driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Older people and driving
Hi. I have become increasingly concerned with the standard of driving of a neighbour, I know that you have to reapply once you are over 70 but it seems to be a paper exercise, unless a dvla investigation is started. I don't want the individual to know of my involvement and yes I could turn a blind eye but they're a liability to themselves and others. How anonymous is the dvla process? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608392 10th Mar 2017 3:22pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
There are a large number of elderly people who are perfectly adequate drivers (I'm 74) and a large number of young/middle age drivers who's ability is questionalbe.
Please DON'T dump all elderly drivers into the same pigeonhole. 
Post #608408 10th Mar 2017 4:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The DVLA say these sorts of reports are treated in the strictest confidence. There's even a web form for the purpose:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/...ed_03.html

It's not age-specific, of course. It could be used to report anyone. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #608416 10th Mar 2017 4:55pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Indeed there are a large number of elderly people who are adequate drivers, just as there are large numbers of elderly people who are inadequate ones. Mainly due to physical infirmities, eyesight deteriation and slow reflexes along with the typical Percy Sugden "I've been driving since the Battle of Crecy and I pay my road tax" type attitude.

Lambert, if you have doubts, nip over the field to Cardale Park and have a quiet word with the desk sarge.

I ride motorcycles, I've experienced many near misses, caused by crap drivers of all ages, sexes and ethnicity but, without doubt, WITHOUT DOUBT, the worst moments have been caused by elderly drivers who seem totally oblivious to other road users, to their own stupidity and to the fact that they have just almost killed me.

I'm 60, I intend to grow old, that's why I pay particular attention whenever I see a Honda Jazz, the weapon of choice for the homicidal geriatrics in Harrogate.
Post #608420 10th Mar 2017 5:07pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Agree with Laurie as I am over state pension age.

Worst drivers I see are young inexperienced drivers. Then there are the drivers who do not understand what an amber traffic light means let alone a red traffic light. Then there are the idiots who do not know what a give way sign means or an advanced stop line mean!

Brendan
Post #608449 10th Mar 2017 6:29pm
Projectblue

England 
There is a fine line between being old and a bit careful because you aren't processing information as quickly, and being unsafe to be in charge of a motor vehicle.

This chap mentioned here: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53137.html was 83 and could out drive anyone on here.

However, people hang on to their driving licences too long when they know they are wrong to do so. It's a hard decision to dob someone in, take away their freedom. But you are doing to potentially save someone's life. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #608453 10th Mar 2017 6:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I reckon the middle aged are the worst, too over confident.
Especially if it's a BMW or Mercedes Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #608454 10th Mar 2017 6:44pm
lambert.the.farmer

I am not tarring all elderly drivers. But the person in question is eligible for a blue badge on account of their limited movement and is waiting for another hip op. They have the mental capacity(enough to work out who has reported them) to drive and the experience just not the physical capacity. I am extremely reticent about being involved in this but equally a sense of social responsibility for not letting them cause an accident. Arghhhh conflicted. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608465 10th Mar 2017 7:33pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
I think that when you reach 70 you should have to retake your test.
If your reaction time and eye sight are ok I haven't got a problem with it.
Post #608472 10th Mar 2017 7:49pm
lambert.the.farmer

That was what I thought happened with the new license, taking the onus off the likes of me, Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608475 10th Mar 2017 7:59pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Fill out the form, be as factual as possible (no hearsay or hypotheticals).

Wait a day then read it back aloud, see how you feel...

Send it or don't send it.

Job done Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #608483 10th Mar 2017 8:27pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^^^ that is good advice for many situations.
Post #608486 10th Mar 2017 8:52pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Interesting that old, middle aged and inexperienced (read young in that word) have all been mentioned so far in this post for poor driving standards, think the moral of this is regardless of age none of us is as good a driver as we think we are Laughing 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #608487 10th Mar 2017 9:01pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Laurie wrote:
There are a large number of elderly people who are perfectly adequate drivers (I'm 74) and a large number of young/middle age drivers who's ability is questionalbe.
Please DON'T dump all elderly drivers into the same pigeonhole.

Agree, I'm 72.
I ain't saying I'm a good driver, or a bad one, I reckon I'm average.
I don't hog the passing lane, I don't tail gate, I am careful, & I am respectful of other road users, even when I "give way" when I don't have to, but I do so for the safety of myself, and my car, and yes, I do like to "put the pedal to the metal" when I can, which is not very often these days, because of radar, speed cameras & all sorts of other devices. If we are in Gracie our Defender, I will always pull over if necessary to let faster cars get by.
I've also done OK at AMG drive days, & others for HSV etc.
Yes there are some elderly drivers that shouldn't be on the road, but in all honesty, I see squillions more young irresponsible drivers EVERY day that don't give a stuff about other road users, or seemingly themselves for that that matter,...the number of cars driven by these "hoons", & impounded by Police, is increasing at a rapid rate all the time.
I reckon the main complaint about some old drivers is that they're slow, & perhaps this is a valid statement, but it's not such a bad issue when one sees the antics of some of these irresponsible younger drivers who are a danger to all on the road, including themselves.
The traffic in Melbourne is horrendous, seems to get worse all the time, grid locks everywhere, not even in peak hour. I dislike driving in these conditions, I can, but I don't like it. Wifey loves any excuse to drive her Audi RS3, so she does most of the driving in the City, but when we're cruising on a trip, in the country, away for a few days, it's pretty hard to get me out of Gracie's driver's seat!....so yes, I still love to drive.
Pickles.
Post #608490 10th Mar 2017 9:15pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Had to stop my MIL from driving as eyesight was falling. Stubborn lady just went out and bought another car. One minor self-inflicted accident later I arranged for her licence removal. Did not feel guilty
Post #608494 10th Mar 2017 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>