↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Older people and driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Slideywindows

England 
Now we've flogged this to death, just for fun let's change the thread title to " Motorcyclists and Driving".

No-one can help getting old, but you can help thinking you are immortal.

Motorcyclists die in proportionally greater numbers on the roads than other motorists.

Seeing the speeds they go on the country roads around here, I am not surprised.

But there will be at least one person on here who will blame it on elderly drivers who are out to get them!

Not you Lambert. I think you are raising a valid personal moral question, not slating all older drivers (which all of you young males will become much sooner than you think, unless we elderly drivers get you first.... Twisted Evil )
Post #608757 11th Mar 2017 9:34pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
Notify dvla or whoever and let them judge. My father in law has got to age 76 and his driving is shockingly bad! No amount of parking sensors stop him hitting things, drives to fast and no consideration or awareness of other road users. I've suggested to mother in law that she stops him driving but to no avail.
Post #608777 11th Mar 2017 11:04pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
GREENI wrote:

IBTL
Cool

Ang calls me magoo when I'm trying to read the time on breakfast TV in the mornings Shocked
Post #608781 11th Mar 2017 11:23pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Perhaps Lambert who started this thread with a worry is being misrepresented with his thoughts. If he has witnessed such things as knocking gate posts down, inadvertently driving into the wrong driveway, ending up with a car in a flower bed it is something that I would worry about should a neighbour do such things?

However all that bad driving, and maybe this could be down to many other medical things, that perhaps might be sorted out by a competent GP, if the bad driving is due to this, even as a simple good pair of glasses.

Lamberts original post should not be derided, after all as a good neighbour he is worried and that should be applauded and I have seen no posters agree with that.

Older persons who drive can have problems and yes our present system allows many people to slip through the net re ability to drive safely and perhaps observant caring people may be the answer to this.

My only advise in such circumstance is to contact the neighbours family (If at all possible) as a concerned and proper neighbour and explain to a son or daughter or some other family member what you have observed and leave it to them to make the decision, hopefully the right one.

Saying that if this person is driving without due care or attention then the consequences could be dire, Young children play in house driveways or indeed near peoples homes.

Do not make light of anybody’s concern of someones driving ability no matter what age, as we all have control (or Not) of what can be a very dangerous hunk of metal.

Just saying Smile For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #608782 11th Mar 2017 11:49pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
I am amazed that we don't have compulsory eye testing; it would be so simple to implement.
When you renew/ take out insurance you would be required to enter the number of your current eye test and/or expiry date.
Each certificate would have a life of one/ two or three years ( whatever the medics arrive at when setting up the legislation).

& yes I ride motorbikes ( only 3 at the moment). Big Cry
Motorcyclists gat caught out for a variety of reasons; appalling road surfaces, weather conditions, other drivers ( absolutely no age discrimination as fast as I am concerned; you are ALL out to get me) & sometimes speed.
Unless you ride a bike you have no real appreciation of how quick they can go & stop in the right conditions.

Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #608795 12th Mar 2017 7:14am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Well it seems that it is not my problem anymore, their house is up for sale. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #613193 30th Mar 2017 4:04am
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
So much for the "liability to themselves and others" you mentioned in the first post on this thread.
Post #613213 30th Mar 2017 7:38am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
My partners Dad who is 84 and lives with us, is a menace when walking let alone driving. He repeatedly crosses the road without looking and has on numerous occasions caused cars to brake. We have witnessed this many times and despite everything from reasoned discussion to outright Censored from his daughter continues to do it. My partner has taken him to get his eyes tested and has an up to date prescription and glasses, he also has hearing aids, which he often refuses to wear. He is a menace to road users of all types and we are seriously worried that he will cause someone to have an accident. In all other respect he is a lovely chap, kind and thoughtful and his mind is sharp but out on the streets he does not seem to be aware that he causes a problem and my partner cannot seem to get through to him that he needs to stop and look when he is crossing a road.
Post #613245 30th Mar 2017 10:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Well it seems that it is not my problem anymore, their house is up for sale.

Wow, you've run them out of town! Shocked

Only kidding! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Post #613246 30th Mar 2017 10:02am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
defender9 wrote:
My partners Dad who is 84 and lives with us, is a menace when walking let alone driving. He repeatedly crosses the road without looking and has on numerous occasions caused cars to brake. We have witnessed this many times and despite everything from reasoned discussion to outright Censored from his daughter continues to do it. My partner has taken him to get his eyes tested and has an up to date prescription and glasses, he also has hearing aids, which he often refuses to wear. He is a menace to road users of all types and we are seriously worried that he will cause someone to have an accident. In all other respect he is a lovely chap, kind and thoughtful and his mind is sharp but out on the streets he does not seem to be aware that he causes a problem and my partner cannot seem to get through to him that he needs to stop and look when he is crossing a road.

Clearly a menace if he walks this way. Think he needs to get himself a Defender and start driving that in order to protect himself. Whistle You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #613248 30th Mar 2017 10:17am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
David T wrote:
So much for the "liability to themselves and others" you mentioned in the first post on this thread.

Having been given the good word here and elsewhere for wanting to be responsible about it I was quietly compiling a list of instances for the authorities over a reasonable time however as they have moved and I don't know where I don't know what else to do so yeah not my problem after all they could be in sheltered housing now for all I know and therefore safe from harm. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #613249 30th Mar 2017 10:18am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Interesting thread.

I had to go to the GP today and and usual I got there in good time ...but as usual he was running late. I sat down next to an old gentleman and younger woman, I always take a magazine to read and just as I opened it heard the old fella state to the woman in a broad Norfolk accent that he hadn't brought his glasses, so I jokingly took mine off and offered them too him. This broke the ice and over the course of the next 40 minutes or so we had a really grand chat about his past, doctors, animals, farming, driving, accidents - you name it.

Turns out the woman was his daughter in law and after he saw the doc they planned to have lunch out as it was the old man's 91st birthday today. After their meal he would drive his usual 30+ mile round trip to see his wife who is in care. He told me he got his licence on March 30th 1943 and he was worried because he thought that it it expired tonight. He said he had recently had two eye operations and that he could see perfectly but as these had been declared to the DVLA they were requiring him to undergo a fitness to drive medical.

Turns out he was declared unfit to serve in the war as he had severely injured his right hand in the late '30's so had not been issued a service licence - hence having to buy it in 1943. His daughter in law and he were a pleasure to chat to and the waiting time just flew by - quite different to the usual impatient minute by minute wait to be called to see the quack. He was as bright as a button and had far better recall than I, several decades his junior.

I have no idea why I typed all this out but it seemed timely. When I was called in I shook his hand warmly and wished him all the very best for his birthday and medical. I salute you Sir. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #613332 30th Mar 2017 5:09pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
My wife's grandfather is 92. He lives on his own and his car was 'liberated' two years ago. He is a good old chap with reasonable eye sight but the reaction times of a sloth. Everytime I see him he talks about buying a new car and I struggle to hide the cold sweats.

It comes to us all. We will all fight it to the last. Part of life's rich tapestry.
Post #613366 30th Mar 2017 7:10pm
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
ericvv wrote:

Clearly a menace if he walks this way. Think he needs to get himself a Defender and start driving that in order to protect himself. Whistle

Eric and others, worth remembering that although we joke and some get all defensive when ages to tests are given if you dont feel happy about someones driving please report it.
This happened locally to me to a girl a couple of years below me in our local town, worth a read and thinking about if you have elderly relatives who perhaps you feel as lambert said shouldnt be driving.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...cence.html Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #614791 5th Apr 2017 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234