↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Older people and driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
One of the issues with these types of threads is the lack of actual figures about accidents and age.

Apart from the actual figures you need to look at what is happening behind the figures.

It is possible to break down the percentage of licences held by different age groups.

Now looking at the over 70's which is the age that under current legislation need to reapply for a driving licence. Just because an over 70 holds a driving licence does NOT mean they actually drive.

Now 17-19 year old drivers represent 2% off UK drivers but are involved in 6% of collisions. So on those figures they are about 3 times as likely to be involved in a collision then older drivers. Except that is not the whole story. Young drivers on average do 3,500 miles a year compared to an average of 6,000 miles. So they are about 6 times more likely to be involved in a collision then an older driver.

Need to look at

Quote:

15-19 years olds experience almost double the risk of death from road traffic
accidents (82.5 deaths per million population) in comparison to the general
population (42.2 deaths per million population). For males in this age group
the risk is higher still at 127.3 deaths per million population

Taken from here

OR

Quote:

In 2012 there were relatively fewer road fatalities in the United Kingdom than in other
countries across Europe and the rest of the World.

Taken from HERE

From the US

Quote:

The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among 16-19-year-olds than among any other age group. In fact, per mile driven, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are nearly three times more likely than drivers aged 20 and older to be in a fatal crash.

Now throw age and fatalities into the equation. Is an older driver more likely to die from the same injuries sustained as a younger driver? Quite possible as an older driver is more likely to have other medical issues such as heart problems etc.

A good, safe, courteous driver is less likely to be involved in a collision then bad, unsafe, rude drivers irrespective of age

Brendan
Post #608603 11th Mar 2017 1:15pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
ARC99 wrote:
Right time someone answered the original question.

I have in my past had to report several persons to the D.V.L.A. and courts because of the standard of there driving. I have never felt guilt or remorse that I have started the process as I believe that a motor vehicle of any description is dangerous in the hands of any person young, old, black ,white ,male or female if the standard of driving is a danger to others.

If you have seen this person commit dangerous acts or fails to comply with the road traffic act not once but constantly then how would you feel if that person , the next day does the same act and kills someone and you did nothing knowing what you know, how would you deal with it knowing you could have prevented it.

Bring it to the attention of those who can make the decision to with draw the licence knowing you did the right thing and never mind the other persons feeling or that of his /her family.

This is really the only responsible action to take, not the easiest path to walk but the right one.

For all those who think I am being harsh or interfering in something not my business, if I take the easy way out and ignore this persons driving and they set off to come to your town and happen to have some kind of incident involving you or your family will you still be saying that I should have done nothing or will you be baying for blood? Also if my neighbour was a hundred years old and still driving competently I would not have raised the issue. My agenda is not ageism it is the vert specific requirements of my observations of one individual.

Oh and 25 years driving and over 600000 miles covered. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608617 11th Mar 2017 2:12pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
What my complaint is that you saw one elderly person with poor driving ability and started a thread headed 'Older people and driving'. Your implication was that all driving skills deteriorate with age. This is not the case.
I started driving on a farm when I was 12 years old and have driven continuously since then. That's more than twice yours in which you claim that years of experience has made you a good driver, so why should my years of experience make me a bad driver? Twenty years ago I held an international trials driving championship. A friend and I with a 80" Series One in the late fifties 'invented' green laning as a recreational sport.
I am not geriatric.
Please, treat people as individuals 
Post #608632 11th Mar 2017 2:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Laurie wrote:
flydive wrote:
Well, yes, elderly drivers are dangerous as they have slow reflexes, bad eyes, etc.

My optician says my eyesight is 100%.
My reaction speed is perfectly adequate - tested everytime I'm fast winding through the TV ads. Rolling Eyes

.......I even remember our wedding anniversary. Shocked

Oh man, did you really take my post seriously Rolling Eyes
Post #608640 11th Mar 2017 3:45pm
lambert.the.farmer

Laurie wrote:
What my complaint is that you saw one elderly person with poor driving ability and started a thread headed 'Older people and driving'. Your implication was that all driving skills deteriorate with age. This is not the case.
I started driving on a farm when I was 12 years old and have driven continuously since then. That's more than twice yours in which you claim that years of experience has made you a good driver, so why should my years of experience make me a bad driver? Twenty years ago I held an international trials driving championship. A friend and I with a 80" Series One in the late fifties 'invented' green laning as a recreational sport.
I am not geriatric.
Please, treat people as individuals

And what I didn't do was start a thread saying "No one over 70 should be allowed to drive because they are all a liability" . What I did was put a title that succinctly highlighted the point I wished to raise. You have taken my request for advice on one specific individual and attempted to twist it into an ageist rant which it is not. Oh and where have I said I am a good driver? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608654 11th Mar 2017 4:37pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
I don't want the individual to know of my involvement. How anonymous is the dvla process?

We have names for people like this. It is a word which is not in my vocabulary, so I had to look up the english translation for "verklikken" and found all the below, one of which is without any doubt the most appropriate for the above statement.
To peach, to leak, to denounce, to snitch, to rattle, to blab, to tattle, to blow the wistle.
Maybe time to man up, and go talk to them direct about it.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw

Last edited by ericvv on 11th Mar 2017 6:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #608663 11th Mar 2017 5:25pm
lambert.the.farmer

And as I am increasingly tired of saying what if you are the victim of my neighbour having an issue behind the wheel, ok not them because they are highly unlikely to venture out to Switzerland but someone else like them, are you still going to be defending their right to drive when unfit to do so if it directly impacts you or your family? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608669 11th Mar 2017 5:57pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
To be fair it is hard to give an opinion on reporting the driving ability of your neighbour unless the full account of his bad driving is known.

You say you have become increasingly concerned with the standard of his or her driving. Being eligible for a blue badge or waiting for a new hip is not grounds for driving badly.

So what else have you observed to justify having your neighbours licence to drive revoked, have they had accidents recently, have you observed the neighbour driving erratically.

If you are to report this person you would have to give some sort of evidence and be able to back up the claims you are making, so perhaps you could list these so that we are able to agree or disagree with your judgment on your neighbours driving skill. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #608671 11th Mar 2017 6:03pm
lambert.the.farmer

Without giving enough information on a public forum to allow identification of the individual, they have in the last month to my knowledge driven into my drive 4 times, knocked over both their gate posts, got stuck in a flower bed and creased the rear passenger door allegedly on a trolley park bollard somewhere but I only saw the aftermath not the event. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608676 11th Mar 2017 6:24pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #608679 11th Mar 2017 6:38pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Without giving enough information on a public forum to allow identification of the individual, they have in the last month to my knowledge driven into my drive 4 times, knocked over both their gate posts, got stuck in a flower bed and creased the rear passenger door allegedly on a trolley park bollard somewhere but I only saw the aftermath not the event.

Having read recently about people over the age of 65 drinking alcohol a lot more than they should, perhaps your neighbour likes a couple or more of large glasses of the Scottish wine, either way what you have observed is worrying. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #608682 11th Mar 2017 6:43pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
do we think the uk is developing a load of busy bodies that dont know how to mind their own business? not just in this thread but generally.

Those in glass houses...

The holier than squad are getting a little wearing Mike
Post #608685 11th Mar 2017 6:49pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 

IBTL
Cool
Post #608705 11th Mar 2017 8:35pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Lambert having opened the thread and read peoples replies..... What did you plan to do prior to posting and what do you intend to do now? Im not looking to flame the situation just curious and please dont take it any other way. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #608729 11th Mar 2017 9:47pm
lambert.the.farmer

Initial thoughts were very conflicted. I was vaguely aware that dvla were able to conduct investigations into fitness to drive but I was not familiar with the process. By turns I was also just for turning a blind eye, not my problem. After all that has been said here I am now certain that a report wouldn't be a waste of my time and would definitely be the right thing to do especially as the ultimate decision is not actually mine to make or enforce, I would simply be raising the awareness of the dvla, they get to choose.

However I am also more inclined to say to hell with it let them drive as they want, why should I care they ain't hurting me and if something does happen, well I asked for advice on a respected motoring forum and as many as not said don't get involved so I didn't. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #608744 11th Mar 2017 10:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>