↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > GPS navigation signal double din unit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
GPS navigation signal double din unit
I've recently installed an Alpine double din unit, mostly for the navigation so we don't need to use phones/tablets. Disappointingly, the GPS reception is shocking. Doesn't matter if I'm in or outside of London, on any of the motorways, countryside, etc. I've placed the antenna behind the centre clock but under the dash (i.e. out of sight under the plastic). Any recommendations of what's a better location? Also it comes with a very long cable, so I'm wondering if it would make a difference to run it around the windscreen, perhaps place the plastic end receiver somewhere on the windscreen too, or even outside (don't think it's watertight though)? Comments/advice most appreciated. MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #607897 8th Mar 2017 6:11pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
If its the type im thinking, there are a few reasons why it might be like that.

Run it into the engine bay, keep it flat and put it under the plastic air intake blanking plate - make a little tray as i think they like metal underneath or glue it to the bottom - you will be surprised (unless the unit it faulty) Mike
Post #607898 8th Mar 2017 6:14pm
jk84

Thanks for a prompt response Mike. Silly me I have these Optimill vents on both sides though...

But I'm sensing it's a good idea to have it somewhere externally? Point taken on flat and metal underneath.

Click image to enlarge
 MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
Post #607903 8th Mar 2017 6:26pm
mse

I assume its one like this:

Click image to enlarge

They are (allegedly) waterproof. They will work through metal just not as well as plastic - you could try to put it under the wing - i wouldnt bother putting it above the headlining

Clear view of the sky with limited cover above it, is what your aiming for Mike
Post #607915 8th Mar 2017 6:59pm
jk84

That's the one indeed. Makes sense, I was going to stick it on the wind screen from inside but that wouldn't be really flat obviously, under the wing is a candidate then. Will report back how it worked. Thanks again. MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
Post #608007 8th Mar 2017 10:21pm
mse

No problem, when i first did one of these it took me a day to figure out the best place that was factory, hidden and had the most free sky...now ive done a couple (admittedly not in a defender) mounting them all over the engine bay area, avoiding directly around/on the engine as i read somewhere this could cause a problem.

I didnt like the "gobby" on dash installs, nor the on the outside of the car...but with the defender your even more limited than other cars - if you get it under some plastic or thin metal skin then you should have success, hence the wing is a prime target.

Run the cable through the small hole in the large bulkhead grommet (prepare for swearing)

Before you fix it, most of the head units have a sat fix screen - do a before and after (remember with the engine started) test before you glue it in.

The defender is limited in locations, the only other place i would look at at the top of the grill (if you have an AC one) but there really isnt much space there Mike
Post #608035 8th Mar 2017 11:18pm
jk84

I looked at the grommet, that's promising to be fun! I think I may have to put the plastic blanking plate back on if I go that route though. Hmmm...

I've been thinking about running the cable under the headlining and take it out at the back of the roof where the screen wash outlet is and then just stick the antenna on top of the roof as I'm not too concerned about the looks if it does improve the signal. Having said that, if the roof rack is on than I'm back to ground zero. And more importantly the guys I bought the unit from claim the antenna is not 100% weatherproof, so I may be looking at having to replace it 12 months down the line. Not sure how accurate that is.

As you said, it's not ideal with Defender. I've found below as recommendations on what to omit so sharing with others, makes it even more interesting to find a suitable place.

If you opt for interior mounting:
- Keep in mind that the GPS antenna cannot "see" through metal.
- Reception is also prone to electromagnetic interference when mounted in the interior of the vehicle.
- Do not place the antenna on the dashboard or rear deck if:
-- you have a wired screen defroster
-- you have metallic window tint
-- you have a solar reflective window
-- you have a windshield mounted radio antenna
- The GPS antenna should be placed at least 5 inches from any physical obstruction like the "A" pillar or a 2-way communication antenna.

If mounted externally:
- Place the antenna in the centre of a metal roof away from any roof bars or radio antennas.
- Do not mount the antenna close to the edge of the roof as reflections from the ground may interfere with the signals.
- Avoid the edges as reflections from the A/B/C-pillars will cause problems.
- Mount the antenna as high up as possible and keep above any roll bars.
- Pieces of metal close to and above an antenna will disrupt the GPS signal.

Additionally, if an antenna is not mounted on a large enough ground plane then the multipath reflections will also be from the ground beneath the antenna. place the GPS antenna on a flat piece of metal at least 10cm in diameter. If this is not possible, copper or aluminium foil can be used to create a shaped ground plane underneath the antenna. MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
Post #608147 9th Mar 2017 2:14pm
jk84

Or....
I can get this lady to help me out...

And install one of these antennas for BMW drivers...

MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
Post #608149 9th Mar 2017 2:18pm
mse

Have a look where the aerial lead runs through the bulkhead - you will see the hole (not opened) the other side. Cut the grommet and use that opening...swear a bit and your good to go.

Most of the points you have listed are the sorts of factors i was getting it. They do say put it in the middle of the car too...im not sure thats a big deal - make a simple bracket with a metal foil section under the antenna and it will be fine.

Note some the bounced signal issues are more of a problem for the tracking, really sensitive stuff...not car GPS Mike
Post #608166 9th Mar 2017 4:18pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I'm thinking a roof antenna from another vehicle, Range Rover L322 one for example. It's designed to be waterproof and create a water proof seal with the roof. It can go on the roof or even on top of one of the front wings.

Most use generic antenna connections from what i've seen.
Post #608292 10th Mar 2017 12:25am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
I had a similar aerial in my D2. I managed to fit it to the metal tray of one of the sunroofs so it had a clear 'view' from inside the car where it was nice & dry. Not sure about how Defender sunroofs are put together or whether you have one on yours?
Post #608312 10th Mar 2017 8:14am
jk84

Nope, no sunroof on mine. But I bought one of the below external magnetic antennas and will try Mike's approach mentioned earlier. Will report how it goes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182451815053?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
Post #608325 10th Mar 2017 9:37am
mse

If you want to go down that route - you can get shark fin roof covers or entire unit really easily for these antennas, either with the stuff in or without:
start here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191876035082

I still suggest keeping it under the gill in the engine area and run it through the grommet - much simpler Mike
Post #608326 10th Mar 2017 9:38am
jk84

Just to follow up, I've followed mse's suggestions and the gps now works a treat - very good signal, gets locked to satellites real quick.

Took the dash apart, got the cable through the grommet on drivers side into the engine bay, then run it on the side under the radio antenna and placed it further to the front under the wing. It came with a small metal plate which had adhesive at the bottom so I fixed it to the plastic panel that runs under the wing. Works very well now so recommend it.

Also worth pointing out that when you're installing the sat nav for the first time, switch the unit on before you fix the dashboard, etc and with the GPS antenna outside on the bonnet or roof get the system to fix few satellites first. This way you might even be able to keep the antenna somewhere internally, like top of the dash, and you may still get a good signal. It seems that once the antenna locks few satellites it works well afterwards even in the not most ideal places. MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
Post #610048 17th Mar 2017 11:58am
mse

Thumbs Up glad it worked out Mike
Post #610109 17th Mar 2017 4:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>