Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roll Cage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Roll Cage
Hi guys,

Due to the 'fragile' nature of the A pillar and a Defender generally if she rolls over, I was wondering if any of you had experience of roll-cages. The two names that spring to mind are P&P and Safety Devices. I would want an external system as there is precious little room for a cage inside.

How much do they weight and doe sit make much difference to handling?
My truck is silver, what colour would look best black or, err silver?
Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,
Harvey
Post #38123 14th Aug 2010 9:39pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I've got a full external P&P cage on my 110 SW, I also had the internal hoop fitted that goes behind the drivers & passengers seat.

If yo don't want the full external, than the "camel trophy" semi internal/external is very good... although it does encroach in the rear load area a bit.

My 110:

Click image to enlarge
Post #38127 14th Aug 2010 10:07pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Looks great with the darker colours. Did you notice anything difference about your Defender afterwards?

i.e. was there any wind noise?
Did it wallow more?
Was it more comfy (don't know just a random guess on weight comrpessing springs more Wink )?
Was there a drop in economy?
Oh, and what can I expect to pay for said setup?
Why did you go for the additional interior loop?

thank you for the response on a Saturday night.
Harvey
Post #38131 14th Aug 2010 10:47pm
diesel_jim

harveyg77 wrote:
Looks great with the darker colours. Did you notice anything difference about your Defender afterwards?

i.e. was there any wind noise?

Not noticible....over the Td5 and stereo anyway...

Did it wallow more?

No, well, it did slightly, but i added HD springs (130" dual rears) and anti roll bars front & back. handles very nice now.

Was it more comfy (don't know just a random guess on weight comrpessing springs more Wink )?

Ummm.. it seems quite "stable" and "planted", kind of hard to desribe, but the extra weight certainly does make it seem stable and solid.

Was there a drop in economy?

I don't know,it's really a plaything, so i just keep filling it when the needle gets to the red part. the cage itself weighs about 200kg plus a bit more maybe, plus the added drag factor, so i guess it has to make some negative additions to the economy.

Oh, and what can I expect to pay for said setup?

I think it was about £1200 delivered to my door.

Why did you go for the additional interior loop?

from P&P, you order it at the same time as the external pieces, as they have to weld various other brakets on to the 1st hoop.
Post #38133 14th Aug 2010 10:55pm
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hey Harvey I have a P&P cage too.
Advice plan on a hit on MPG by about a 5th. I lost out on about 50 miles on a £50 fill.
Wind noise is an issue but fortunately I cannot hear it over the KM2's and the stereo Thumbs Up
Get it fit by a P&P recommended workshop. I didn't and now have a intermittent vibration Evil or Very Mad
The tubes to the front of the cab leak rusty water all over the roof and doors Rolling Eyes
But the reassurance you feel when following Willy through 45 degree cambers is priceless Thumbs Up
My new shocks and springs go on tuesday. Terrafirma medium load shocks and flatdog HD springs it has sunk quite a bit with both cage and warn powerplant + bumper and guards must add over 300kgs and now I have added a roof tent Very Happy
Some Pics Wink

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Something to bear in mind. Ladder, snorkle, snorkle top and mesh all classed as accessories and the cost rises accordingly Confused

That said I would not change it :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  59 2.4 110 XS Utility
55 TD5 110 CSW Special Vehicle
Post #38158 15th Aug 2010 12:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Ci it,

Your 110 looks absolutely superb! I almost regret getting silver when j see how good the black ones look, but I convinced myself silver would be better if I ever get to hot climates like Morocco or Libya.

I didn't realise the difference a cage would make to economy. Shame they don't do aero-shaped tubing ;/)

I'm inHexham in September, is that anywhere near you?

Thanks Harvey
Post #38172 15th Aug 2010 6:47pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Got a P&P, it was on there when i bought the truck, no vibrations and alot quieter than a D3 with roof rack. Mine has mesh panels on roof so no need for a rack !

But rusty water is a problem esp when my truck is white.

Over all very pleased with it and feel very safe. I run it with LR DH suspension and it feel planted and lean isn't too bad but it does get through shock ever 10,000 miles, so that is my next up grade but LR did replace them under warranty aswell as bushes.
Post #38181 15th Aug 2010 7:09pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hello

I also have a p+p , quality and fit is good if your fitting yourself best to ore assemble off the vehicle to check the fit and where everything goes, I didn't fit the rubber gaskets just sealed with a good sealant also plenty of sealant where the tubes slide into each other to prevent any rusty water dripping as already mentioned. Mine was for a 90 it's an external front which extends to the rear with a full internal rear, I didn't want the full external bird cage look but wanted to mount my rooftent to the cage. Total weight was 75kg + 15kg for the rooftent mounts so probably not much heavier than a roofrack but with much more purpose. I used the spot light brackets to mount my hilift jack upright, the foot+mech is stored inside. Total cost I think was just under £1500.

Steve
Post #38208 16th Aug 2010 12:32am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Those of you with the full P&P cage on a 110 with the internal B hoop, can you give me some advice, please?

How intrusive is this hoop? Do you find that it limits movement on the driver's seat, or contacts your shoulder when driving? How much impact does it have on the use of the 2nd row seats? Is it still possible to tip the 2nd row seats forward fully?

If anyone has one of these cages on a DC, can you tell me if it possible to remove the canopy without removing the rear section of cage (I am thinking of the one with the removable rear section as shown in the photo below, from the OEC International website)?

I am seriously lusting after a P&P full cage with a deck but expect serious opposition from SWMBO, so want to be sure of my ground before raising the issue!

If anyone else is thinking of one of these, there is an interesting article on the OEC International website about fitting one:-

http://www.oec4x4.com/index.php?option=com...;Itemid=42

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Last edited by blackwolf on 16th Aug 2010 1:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #38224 16th Aug 2010 10:12am
Cibit

harveyg77 wrote:

I'm inHexham in September, is that anywhere near you?

Thanks Harvey

Let me know when and maybe time permitting the 2 Phils (Chunk and PDH) and myself could take you on some lanes Thumbs Up 59 2.4 110 XS Utility
Post #38233 16th Aug 2010 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diesel_jim

blackwolf wrote:
Those of you with the full P&P cage on a 110 with the internal B hoop, can you give me some advice, please?

How intrusive is this hoop? Do you find that it limits movement on the driver's seat, or contacts your shoulder when driving? How much impact does it have on the use of the 2nd row seats? Is it still possible to tip the 2nd row seats forward fully?

In mine (As i'm quite large so have the drivers seat pushed right back and tipped slightly back, i can smack my head on the inner B hoop, although a bit of padding on it would soon sort that out.

The middle seats still tip forward just as they did before, no problem, and the middle passengers also gain a handy "foot rest" by the way of the horizontal bar that joins both mounting feet together.

I see you're in Dorset? I'll be out on Salisbury plain on thursday afternoon, if you want to pop up and meet me you can have a good gander at the cage.
Post #38248 16th Aug 2010 2:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
For those with the bar - pre fitting could you not spray some waxoyl in the tube then use some sealant? Mike
Post #38267 16th Aug 2010 6:09pm
Cibit

Hi Mike I suggested it to the fitter and he reckoned I would have waxoil dripping all over the roof Wink 59 2.4 110 XS Utility
Post #38272 16th Aug 2010 6:19pm
diesel_jim

My thoughts, next time i've got the front piece off the vehicle, is to drill a small (1/4" or so) hole at the bottom of each horizontal roof piece, so when water does go in the tube, it'll just drip out the front.

The trouble with trying to seal the tube up, is that they slide into another piece of tube that bolts to the "B" pillar hoop, and this is an open ended tube also, so any water just travels right down this.
Post #38273 16th Aug 2010 6:23pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Having a drain point is good though.

Spray the waxoyl down, leave it to dry it should no more leak than any other place and tube ive done...even in the hotest sun.

If it does top trick - WD40 removes it perfectly in about 5 seconds Mike
Post #38275 16th Aug 2010 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>