↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Safety Devices 4 Point Internal Cage Install Experience?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Safety Devices 4 Point Internal Cage Install Experience?
I am looking at Roll cage number L255. "4 point bolt-in internal rear 'half' roll cage. Suitable for newer Defender 110 (Puma) with high backed / bench seats."

Has anyone installed one? Wondering what the install is like....not sure when SD says "Bolt in" do they really mean that!
Post #607622 7th Mar 2017 9:16pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I asked safety devices about install costs...

£1130.00 exc. VAT / £1356.00 inc. VAT.

the installation takes about 8-10 hours for en experienced installer.

I'm guessing tricky if they take that long and fit these all day long.....
Post #607625 7th Mar 2017 9:20pm
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
wow- just for that 4 point cage?? I could see the external cages that need body cutting and frame attachment....but jesus mary and joseph that expensive
Post #607628 7th Mar 2017 9:29pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
ooh sorry no this is for a full cage on a 110 sw.

send me you email address via PM they sent me instructions.
Post #607630 7th Mar 2017 9:32pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Actually checked my emails that was fitting for a 4 point...and its was about to go up...

We have had a price increase recently and if we'd receive a new enquiry the cost of the L255 roll cage and installations would be £1180.00 exc. VAT / 1416.00 inc. VAT.

The full cage was...

he cost of supply and installation of our L242 roll cage only is £2440 exc. VAT / £2928.00 inc. VAT, the L172 roll cage only is £2675.00 exc. VAT / £3210.00 inc. VAT.

So then I asked protection and performance...

For the Front External to Internal B, C, D hoops with joining bars, the cage is priced at £1312.00+VAT. This is fully powder coated in black gloss and is a bolt on spec cage. If you do choose just to have the internal section then that would be £848+VAT.

They needed the car for 2 weeks though....

Judith Jackson
Protection & Performance Ltd
T: 0044 (0) 1282 842200
Post #607633 7th Mar 2017 9:37pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I fitted my pp NAS cage, it is quite a labour intensive job. I was surprised!
But yeah, that's expensive!!

Have a go yourself, it's only nuts n bolts. Thumbs Up
Post #607640 7th Mar 2017 9:51pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
I had mine fitted by a local garage for £250 lol Whistle 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #607651 7th Mar 2017 10:00pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Stacey007 wrote:
Actually checked my emails that was fitting for a 4 point...and its was about to go up...

We have had a price increase recently and if we'd receive a new enquiry the cost of the L255 roll cage and installations would be £1180.00 exc. VAT / 1416.00 inc. VAT.

The full cage was...

he cost of supply and installation of our L242 roll cage only is £2440 exc. VAT / £2928.00 inc. VAT, the L172 roll cage only is £2675.00 exc. VAT / £3210.00 inc. VAT.

So then I asked protection and performance...

For the Front External to Internal B, C, D hoops with joining bars, the cage is priced at £1312.00+VAT. This is fully powder coated in black gloss and is a bolt on spec cage. If you do choose just to have the internal section then that would be £848+VAT.

They needed the car for 2 weeks though....

Judith Jackson
Protection & Performance Ltd
T: 0044 (0) 1282 842200

This is the cost of the cage plus fitting Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #607661 7th Mar 2017 10:10pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Just installed my own L242 6 point external cage:

Click image to enlarge

They said a competent mechanic with shop should take 2 days. By myself, it took 5 and half.

Instructions are IKEA-level sparse and confusing, photocopied in black and white and refer to coloured sections in images that cant be seen.

Apparently I was meant to get fastener bags numbered according to the installation sections. The sections that required fasteners if I recall were 2 through 6...

I got bags numbered 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6 and S/S.

Only 3 of them made any sense to me, the rest were just random grab bags of bolts, washers and nylocs that I had to make 'best' use of, rather hard at the beginning when you don't know about what the future of the installation will require.

I went with the logic of spring washers for plain nuts and plain washers for nylocs but at the end I had a fair amount of left overs, so I went back and installed larger washers and spring washers in places that I hadn't already.

Additionally, The cutting templates for the front mounts - where you cut through your body panels! - were off by about 8mm too aft IMO, but still within the tolerance that the flange joints would cover...

In all, I'd say it's a lovely bit of kit, but in terms of install you have to think for yourself, which is fine, but it would be nicer to know that from the get go, rather than constantly trying to understand what the instructions mean.

In the same breath, do pay attention to any instruction regarding spacer plates to account for the typical Defender assembly tolerances, I can see people not using them and compressing their vehicle bodies as they torque up Shocked

Much of the 5.5 days was taken up with cleaning, corrosion prevention and other little fixes as I figured since I had the vehicle all exposed I may as well take advantage of it. Without that I would say the 2 day job may have taken, hrrrm, let's say 4.

Click image to enlarge
 Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Last edited by agentmulder on 31st Mar 2017 7:17am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #607669 7th Mar 2017 10:20pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ yes
Post #607670 7th Mar 2017 10:20pm
Romadog

Had same issue with fixings, but emailed SD and had great help and confirmation on fitting etc. I didnt buy it from them it was on ebay. I had originally contacted Frogs Island about fitting and their price was of a similar magnitude. So ended up doing it myself.
Post #607681 7th Mar 2017 10:29pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Yes, I'll confirm that SD in person were very comprehensive with queries I had before purchase. They really did take the time to answer my questions properly with no ambiguity.

Pity the instructions were the opposite! Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #607686 7th Mar 2017 10:36pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Looks great Mulder.
Post #607703 7th Mar 2017 11:17pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I installed the P&P full external cage on my 110 when I built it (with the internal hoop), and also a full external SD cage on my old 90.

The coating on the P&P is far better than the SD one was, but both makes, the installation instructions left a lot to be desired. the template for the P&P one was about 5cm out!

In hindsight, covering the bodywork with masking tape then assembling the cage on top, THEN drilling the holes is the way I'd do it if I were to do it again. I stupidly trusted their rear hoop template and now have 4 extra bolts stuck through the body to plug the holes Evil or Very Mad
Post #607754 8th Mar 2017 8:26am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Shocked

Bad huh, and we wonder why outfits charge so much to do the work; most of it goes towards an informal insurance fund for when they stuff it up according to 'instructions'.

You tend not to hear about that so much, for the obvious reasons. People, (myself incl.) do however, LOVE to talk about it when they get it right. Whistle Mr. Green

Anyhoo, yeah mine was no where near 5cm, but still enough to get me in a bit of a state when I realised I'd have to cut more. Doing it alone it was 100% trust, as I had no real way to hold up the parts or otherwise accurately gauge where things were going to end up to any helpful precision.

I did do an image search though as an idiot check "yes, uh huh, in the vicinity" ...

The whole template process - sheesh - on the front when they say "align it with the edges" while referring to curved templates running along curves that end in curves, what exactly is the engineering consensus where the edge 'ends' ??

When the virtual and lenticular parallelepipeds formed by the nadir of each spline are equidistant and conform to yesterday's tea leaves? Or perhaps when the panel is vertical, and holding a plumb bob by its eigen-bob we are meant to find the singular value decomposition of our overalls?

Fore and aft is easy, but around the curve, that's hard to explain without showing in person, and your guess is as good as mine. Either way that's no excuse for them to give up trying to explain it - and even if they didn't realise the ambiguity, a photo would have cleared it up.

Ah but then, I succeeded - do I get membership to some exclusive club, or does my moaning exclude me?

Rolling with laughter Rolling Eyes Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #607757 8th Mar 2017 8:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>