Home > Technical > Puma Cigar Lighter Socket Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DerekV

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Montalcino Red
Puma Cigar Lighter Socket Removal
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise how to remove the cigar lighter socket from the puma dash without removing the centre dash panel (the dash panel is not easy to remove due to other accessories I have fitted). I've spent the last few hours fiddling with it, trying to release it from the back etc to no avail!! I'm trying to get to the back of it to take a feed off it.

Thanks.

Derek.
Post #607586 7th Mar 2017 6:15pm
big110

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I know on my volvo, I had to sacrifice it and basically take it apart bit by bit. If you dont want to remove the dash or reuse the original socket, might be an option.
Post #607620 7th Mar 2017 8:14pm
DerekV

I see! I'd rather not destroy it if I can avoid it, because I'd like to reuse it, but as it's really strong plastic clips holding it in, I'm not sure how much luck I'm going to have getting it out intact!! Big Cry
Post #607644 7th Mar 2017 8:56pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
i think you're going to have to remove the centre section of the dash to be honest.
Post #607680 7th Mar 2017 9:29pm
DerekV

You may be right, but I have heard that there is a way to remove it without taking the centre panel out, and I'd really rather avoid removing that panel if I can!!

From what I've seen online, it seems that there are 3 clips holding the metal socket in the green plastic surround, and these must all be released simultaneously to slide out the metal section. I'm not sure how the green plastic bit is held in the dash though, and whether it would be possible to remove this without first removing the metal socket?!
Post #607728 7th Mar 2017 11:38pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
DerekV

Taking the centre panel is not too dificult and you need it to remove the cigarette ligther in a esay way (I replace it some time ago for a Blue Sea one). If not will be quite difficult.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #607730 7th Mar 2017 11:44pm
meeerrrk

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I tried last weekend, it's a centre panel off job I'm afraid. However the good news is that it only takes 2 mins to remove the panel far enough to get it out - it just needs pulling forward enough to get to the back of the cig lighter Thumbs Up My 90 Project : http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52774.html
Post #607742 8th Mar 2017 5:21am
DerekV

Ah really, that's useful to know! How does the lighter socket release from the panel once the panel's out? I can't seem to work it out looking at pictures!!

Thanks.
Post #607768 8th Mar 2017 8:52am
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Having removed my centre fascia panel, I really struggled to get the cigar lighter out without resorting to destroying it.

Eventually, I managed to remove the metal sleeve by prising apart the green plastic from the metal at the two tangs. Once the metal sleeve is out, the edge of the green plastic can be compressed enough to come through the fascia, but the light has to be removed first. I don't think it is meant to be removable!

Click image to enlarge
 Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #610037 17th Mar 2017 10:43am
DerekV

Thanks for the heads up doublea! I'm just about to go and take the panel out now actually, so now I know what I'm in for! I did think that I would probably end up destroying/damaging the socket, so luckily I've bought a Blue Sea socket to replace it with. There main thing now is to get that centre panel out without breaking it!!
Post #610055 17th Mar 2017 12:37pm
DerekV

Well I did the job the other day and it wasn't as bad as I expected in the end. The centre panel came out easily releasing one clip at a time with a wide plastic lever, and I didn't need to take the radio out or unplug anything as there was a fair bit of spare wire on all the switches. The lighter socket itself, however, was tricky to remove. After unplugging the 6.3mm spade connectors, the bulb needs to be removed by levering it off the side with a small screwdriver, then there are two small clips holding the metal barrel in, which are pretty strong but can be released by levering the metal section out of the green plastic section from the front with a small screwdriver (pushing from behind doesn't work for some reason). However, when you release them the metal section doesn't come fully out. It gets stuck at the end as you withdraw it and as other people have said, it's pretty much impossible to get out intact. I got it out in the end by taking apart the socket so I was just left with a metal tube, then filing off the plastic clips from the front with a needle file and twisting the metal section inside using pliers which then meant it could be removed. After this is out, the green plastic section just had two small clips top and bottom which can be depressed with your fingers to remove it from the centre panel.

So, overall, the verdict is that the lighter socket can't be removed without removing the centre panel (but that's not actually difficult), and you'll probably have to destroy the socket to get it out!! The Blue Sea one I replaced it with though is much nicer looking in my opinion and much better made. It's also held in by a plastic collar that screws on the back, rather than clips, which means removing it if necessary will be much easier!! The hole in the centre panel does need to be opened up by 1-2mm with sandpaper but that's no big deal, so I would say that if you need to take the lighter socket out, have one of these in reserve as you'll probably need to break the original!!
Post #610525 19th Mar 2017 11:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1