↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 19J problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
YankPilot

19J problems
Getting ready to ship my defender back to the States and had to switch my 200 TDi back to a 19J to make it legal for customs. I know its stupid, but lets spare that conversation! This Yank needs help! We swapped out the engines, finished up the plumbing and she turns over but will not cough or fire. Fuel has been bled all the way through the injectors so it seems like its getting fuel.

Tested the glow plugs with a half key turn and they get hot. The fuel is routed via a new filter as the 200 TDi filter had one less port. 1 to the injector pump, one is a return line, one from the leak off I believe and not sure where the fourth goes but will check again tomorrow. Because parts were scarce and we were unable to find the full return line, we spliced the return line via speed fittings.

The valve clearances were checked when my friend timed them so he says. I have attached pictures with the timing cover off today: it seems as though everything lines up correctly. One question though, in reference to the attached workshop manual, where should the bottom right number 13 be aligned. It seems as though from the pictures you can see that we have aligned it correctly but it doesn't specifically mention that one in the text.

The other issue is the tool which is referenced in step 14 in unable to be fully inserted into the DPS pump once it is screwed into place (see attached picture). What does this indicate? Perhaps he didn't rotate the pump as described in step 14? We were able to fit an allen wrench of the same size fully into the opening but it seems to go in a little crooked.

All this is a little above my skill level obviously. Any ideas would be much obliged!
Post #607579 7th Mar 2017 6:45pm
YankPilot

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #607580 7th Mar 2017 6:46pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I've not timed up a 19J, but should the crankshaft not be at TDC?

i.e. Woodruff key at the top in line with the cast arrow?
Post #607585 7th Mar 2017 7:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1