MartinK12th Apr 2017 11:19am
User Registered Confirmed

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
Yorkshire 4x4overlander Gathering 13/14th May 2017
4x4overlander are holding an open weekend at the Old Hill Inn, Chapel-le-Dale LA6 3AR

Come along meet the team, see our vehicles, see our products and pick our brains.

The Old Hill Inn is in the middle of the Three Peaks area of the Yorkshire Dale with the famous 3 Peaks walk going pass its front door. Old Hill Inn website is HERE the food is very good and the desert Chocolate Indulgence is to die for!

We will have maps of nearby suggested green lane routes, walks in the vicinity, places worth a visit from nearby White Scar and Ingleborough caves, the Terrible Knitters of Dent.

There is variety of accommodation in the area, ranging from campsites, caravan sites, bunk barns, holiday cottages and B & B's

This is a free event, there will be no dogs herding ducks, no stunt riders etc. Just a social event. The group meal will be on Saturday night for people who have pre-booked. Menus etc will be available about 3-4 weeks prior to the event.

Any questions please ask away

If you are interested in coming and would like to partake in a group dinner please give us an indication above.

Brendan
Post #607374 6th Mar 2017 11:18pm
David T

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Hope to get to this but somewhat disappointed there'll be no dogs herding ducks or stunt riders.

Any chance of stunt ducks or dog riding herders instead?
Post #616104 11th Apr 2017 7:16pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
If things go okay, will look to be going, maybe alone!
Post #616147 11th Apr 2017 9:16pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Looks great!

Only 23 miles away from my house, so will try and come for an hour or two on Saturday. I'm double-booked so may be a flying visit.

My Defender is mothballed right now, so a good excuse to put some air in the tyres Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #616260 12th Apr 2017 11:23am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Had a chat with Bean(the landlady at the Hill Inn) today she says she has a double room at her B & B unbooked. Must admit I haven't given it a lot of organisational thought as yet. I will get the GBLR show out of the way and then get round to see if I can sort out some ducks for herding. We could try kitten herding - there are usually some feral kittens about. That was where my last one came from but Bren might think I had really turned into a mad cat lady if I couldn't resist any more. Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
Regards
Barbara
Post #616344 12th Apr 2017 5:09pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Only just seen this event. Apologies Brendan and Barbara but we are in Helmsley that weekend for Ang's birthday.
Post #616353 12th Apr 2017 5:37pm
David T

I used to go up there quite a bit to various biker rallies in the late seventies/eighties. Much jokin' smokin' and 'pokin.

IIRC, the landlord was called Alan Greenbank, a right p*** artist.

At the time, my bruv-in-law was with the local CRO and they had their HQ in the old stone shed behind the pub. He and some of his cave rescue buddies took four of us bikers for a wriggle thru some potholes. I think it was called The Kingsdale System. I'd never been so fkn terrified in all my life. Afterwards in the pub, the cavers liked to climb in and out between the spokes of some cartwheels that were used as partitions, without touching the floor. Very silly and raucous it was too. A slimline me managed it then, but I don't think the corpulent me could manage it now.
Thumbs Up
Post #616374 12th Apr 2017 6:48pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Brendan - I will see you there. Day visitor only though Thumbs Up

David T - interesting hearing your motorcycling recollections. Probably at many of the same events myself. Here's a snap of some of the happy campers back in the day.

Click image to enlarge
Post #616390 12th Apr 2017 8:31pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
David T wrote:
Hope to get to this but somewhat disappointed there'll be no dogs herding ducks or stunt riders.

Any chance of stunt ducks or dog riding herders instead?

Well we could always try to train the Hill Inn hens to ride on the local barn cats! Razz

As a matter of interest have you tried to herd cats!

Now I used to cave in the Dales the odd decade or two ago and have been drinking on and off in the Hill Inn since the errrr 70's

Hill Inn is now run by Colin and Bean, the food is rather Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The bar area of the Hill Inn has not changed much since the 70's and the cart wheels are still there. NO I can not get through the cart wheel now.

Brendan
Post #616405 12th Apr 2017 9:24pm
David T

Great photo Rockster, I can almost hear Quo playing in the background.
This is me, up at the Hill Inn, rather drunk and about to light a fag with a red-hot poker. So they tell me 🙄

Click image to enlarge
Post #616408 12th Apr 2017 9:52pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Haha, those were the days! Thumbs Up
Post #616410 12th Apr 2017 9:56pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Well the social gathering is this coming weekend at the Hill Inn, Chapel Le Dale.

The Hill Inn is the only pub directly on the Yorkshire Three Peaks walk.

Last weekend we were up at the Hill Inn and checked out some of the local green lanes. One of the green lanes has a ford at the end, but also has an ice cream van halfway along the it Razz So you will be able to bring the young ones along and keep them happy whilst green laning. Most of the green lanes appear to be in very good condition and should be driveable by most 4x4 if driven with care.

We also went into Bernies (those of you who know the Dales will know Bernies Razz ) for a cup of coffee. Now when you go into Bernies you will meet people there who you have not seen for years. Last weekend we bumped into AB and DB (the old cavers amongst you will know who I mean) who I used to cave with back in the 70's and 80's. The magic and draw of Bernies still work.

Plenty of other things to do from, caving (wild or show caves), walking from the waterfall walk all the way up to the Three Peaks, drinking and eating. Now Colin at the Hill Inn is a master sugar chef and his deserts are to die for so is not to be missed. Apart from that you can have a good look around our vehicles and products plus just talk to us whilst drinking tea and coffee.

Brendan
Post #622966 9th May 2017 7:59pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Heading that way soon on the motorbike for a spin in the sun - hope to catch up in a couple of hours... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #623998 14th May 2017 10:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1