↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Weird problem with lights and alarm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Weird problem with lights and alarm
Hi Guys, I have a weird problem which I hope somebody has had and solved and can point me in the right direction or its a trip to an auto electrician!

I noticed a week ago when it had been raining for days and days that when I have the side lights on and apply the brakes that the left indicator flashes faintly on the near side which also shows up on the dash indicator,
in addition to that on occasions even with the side lights off and I press the brake pedal the nearside indicator does show a feed back to it, but even stranger is today I noticed when I set the alarm the rear indicators do not flash but the brake lights show a faint glimmer of current feed to them, I have had the hitch connection off as I suspected water ingress but its as dry as a chip !!!

I am lost at the moment as to where to look as the oddest part is why the rear brake light show a current feed to them when the alarm is set and the indicator lights do not flash at all?? I guess its water somewhere or chaffed wiring maybe but cannot think where to look first?

Any help would be appreciated guys??

Ole Dave
Post #607194 6th Mar 2017 12:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
It could be water in the 10AS, but that's not connected to the brake lights, so i would think it's just a bad earth connection to the indicators/brake lights. Clean up the earth points and make sure it's sound and the fault should disappear.
Post #607198 6th Mar 2017 12:26pm
dorsetsmith

1. towing light socket water logged, try unplug Gray plug under driver side rear wheel arch also remove towing light socket and check for water
2. or bad earthing in light cct
Post #607199 6th Mar 2017 12:27pm
OleDave

Hi Guys, have had both the sockets off and open on the tow hitch and the socket what supplies the feed to the caravan but both sockets look clean and dry and all wiring seems tight and intact, have had off all the rear lights to check for water and nowt !! oddly just noticed as I set the alarm that the number plate light also shows a feed but nothing to the indicators? the indicators work fine as normal as do the rear side lights, will check for the grey plug dorsetsmith and see if thats the problem if I can find the devil?

Many thanks

Ole Dave
Post #607202 6th Mar 2017 12:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetsmith

the Gray plug is lighting only as supply by land rover

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 6th Mar 2017 1:35pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #607206 6th Mar 2017 1:15pm
OleDave

Hi Guys, dorsetsmith have had a good look under the rear drivers wing and I cannot see any grey socket ? I did trace the wiring back from where it comes out of the chassis work up to the nearside entry point behind the rear nearside light socket and after some feeling around the blasted flashers worked normally which make it look like an earth problem but where?

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #607207 6th Mar 2017 1:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There's a fault with the earth to your NS brake light so it's earthing through the other lights, which makes them glow. I'd start by checking the connections in the nearside light cluster, behind the speaker. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #607208 6th Mar 2017 1:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ This sounds highly probable to me. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #607209 6th Mar 2017 1:21pm
OleDave

Hi Guys, well the lastest weird thing is I plugged the caravan in as a test with the result of no indicators on the caravan but both front indicators on the defender go on full time without switching them on!! have had the caravan plug off again and stripped back the protective sheath as far as I can and nothing evident, all wiring is intact and clean with no water evident, have had all the rear inside panels in the defender off looking for poor earth connections on all the light fittings both left and right, all are clean and seem in good condition, however, I cannot see any direct earth body connections at any of the rear lights at any point to check and clean?

Guess its going to be an auto electrician as its got me scratching my head and the problem has now switched to the drivers side where it was the nearside!!!! where I would look next I just do not know?, I am stumped good and proper.

Well thats it guys I am miffed with myself for not being able to source the fault but you cannot win them all !!!!

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #607243 6th Mar 2017 4:01pm
OleDave

dorsetsmith many thanks for the picture of the chassis to trailer harness connection, for the life of me I cannot find the plug, even looking at your picture it does not compute, is it possible for you to explain to an old man exactly where the plug is? while looking for the plug I have noticed up under the rear area looking for the plug that the trailer harness from the socket to the main harness goes over the chassis, at that point it looks like the protective sheath has rubbed away where it contacts the chassis maybe thats the fault? but I cannot get close enough to see if there is damage to wiring loom, if I could unplug the trailer loom from the main loom that would be a great help, but now its chucking it down with rain again so I cannot investigate further today !!!

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #607254 6th Mar 2017 5:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Remove, clean and refit the main rear earth strap on the transfer box. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #607263 6th Mar 2017 5:52pm
OleDave

Hi custom90steve, good suggestion, will do when it stops raining.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #607266 6th Mar 2017 6:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up It can have all sorts of bizarre effects, including some of those you have described. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #607267 6th Mar 2017 6:02pm
dorsetsmith

also check driver side chassis to body work earth too
Post #607270 6th Mar 2017 6:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ Thumbs Up Good call. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #607299 6th Mar 2017 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>