↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > which transfer boxes!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
monk

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black (black Hood)
which transfer boxes!!!
Hope somebody can give me some straight forward answers! Ive a defender td5 and want to change gearing, which transfer boxes can i use and what problems with each box will i have to sort, been told 300tdi pretty much straight swap but what about one off an auto or v8, disco 2 wich has diff lock etc, cheers chaps
Post #606243 2nd Mar 2017 9:59pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
One off a 200 or 300 or disco 1 V8 will be a straight fit, manual or auto doesn't matter, the D2 ones can be fitted but will need some parts changing such as front drive flange, handbrake casting to get speedo drive and hi/lo lever, more if it doesn't have diff lock Dave
Post #606671 4th Mar 2017 3:55pm
monk

Cheers for that , thats just what i wanted to know, seen a few off autos but wasnt sure plus think id seen something on here that the auto ones should be in better shape due to the auto gear box , the transfer boxes ive seen on ebay average 130-150 but dont want to fit something thats going to last 5 minutes just because of the labour cost, get the impression you cant check much on them until fitted, theres a couple local for sale around 150 with gearbox approx 160000 on them?
Post #606690 4th Mar 2017 4:56pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
Try the Ashcroft Transmission website. It has a ratio calculator. It will give you a guide on the different boxes and ratios depending on what outcome you want. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #606695 4th Mar 2017 5:23pm
monk

Hi there, im after tge disco ratio, only really use it on road and want it re-chipping, i know its a defender but it is sloooow! something isnt right with it but money is getting stupid! Ive range rover whhels with allterrains on so speedos over reading by approx 10% , just fitted a rev counter and slickshift tonight not easy with a torch ha but havnt tried them out tonight, as per other posts rev counters on the slow side!
Need to get it on diagnostics as hits 50 easy enough but put foot to the floor and it sounds and feels like its revving its nuts off, cleaned all sensors, new fuel pump,injector harness,props,fuel filter,oils,air filter, wastgate, manual boost control with gauge,so apart from fuel pressure reg or replacing maff im stumped!
Post #606750 4th Mar 2017 9:36pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Unplug the maf and drive it for a couple of days, if the maf is dead some performance should come back pretty much straight away with it unplugged. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #606792 4th Mar 2017 11:06pm
monk

Well i tried unplugging it and took it for a 5 minute blast but felt no different, ive done same procedure on my old merc and there was a big difference so felt no nearer to solving the problem, if i keep foot light and let speed build its pretty refined upto 60, but put foot down hard after 50 in 5th gear and you would think its going to blow!
Post #606805 4th Mar 2017 11:36pm
Miggit

United Kingdom 
Reading this it would look like you want to do the opposite to me.. I'm looking to raise the revs on mine due to larger wheels.. Anyhow you need to make sure that the replacement transfer box is 1.211:1 that will lower your revs, or give you a higher top end Wink

The standard ratio for the Defender is 1.410:1, going to a 1.211:1 box will drop your revs at 70 by appx 300 RPM.. it doesn't sound much, but it will make a big difference..

And make sure that the transfer has a locking diff... Later D2s did away with this in favour of traction control and run an open diff..

Just make sure it looks like this..

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  RRC 2.4 TD... it's either a stretched 90 or shrunken 110!!
ML 270CDI
Post #608506 10th Mar 2017 10:55pm
monk

Cheers miggit, went on a major look for one to buy today, got one for 55quid just need to sort a courier out, and at that price for 119quid off ebay can get bearing/seal kit to recondition it, anyone done that job themselves ?
Post #608700 11th Mar 2017 6:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1