↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > 3.9 V8 liner or head gasket.... Help !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Jim G

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
3.9 V8 liner or head gasket.... Help !
I have just bought a Discovery 3.9 for the engine and gearbox to go into my 90....

I have noticed that there is quite a lot of white smoke at startup and until the engine warms up ... when it clears completely. I cant tell if its using water as I am only running on the path for 30mins or so ( not legal for road) . The coolant system does not pressurise at all , can take cap off when hot no problem and top hose never gets firm or hard
and now there is a misfire / bad idle that comes and goes ( possibly because of my pressure washing)

Any ideas ?
Post #605982 2nd Mar 2017 9:31am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I would be Checking compression, and carry out a sniff test on the coolant just to confirm any HG issues.
Have you looked at plug colours? That will give you a good idea of what's going on.
How much condensation is it throwing out?
It may just be that it needs to warm up properly, not unsusual for a V8. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #606011 2nd Mar 2017 11:25am
Jim G

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your answer

I have just tried taking a photo of the smoke, but it doesnt show up on the photos. Its noticible, but not 'clouds and clouds'

I am afraid I dont know what a sniff test is , could you enlighten me ?

I will get the plugs out at the weekend and let you know, I will do a compression test as well.

Jim
Post #606036 2nd Mar 2017 1:10pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
A simple test that will detect contamination from combustion in the coolant,
Any good motor factors should stock them,

Are you noticeably loosing any coolant?
I would let it run up to temp for a while, keeping an eye on levels, the condensation should gradually dissapere if there isn't any issues?

Head gasket would be producing a fair bit of vapour, plus bubbles, hard hoses like you say. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #606053 2nd Mar 2017 2:17pm
Jim G

Thanks for the reply,

It was low on coolant when I got it, about 1 litre to top up.
Its ran for about an hour and a half now,mostly idling, and a short run on a private road , about a mile, no obvious coolant loss.
It now has a 'tap tap' at about a half to a quarter engine speed... about 3 times per second on idle , could be a sticking follower ?, I have noticed that if it hasn't run for a day or two its VERY rattly for about 10 seconds on start up. , I am presuming its the followers being worn ( 145000 miles) Seems to be one thing after another with this motor, however misfire much less now, tried my OBD reader but it cant connect with it.

I will get one of those testers and check it this weekend when I do the compression's
Post #606080 2nd Mar 2017 3:59pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had a D1 V8 for 18 years and in the end it developed a small crack in one of the bores which caused it to pressurize the system. You will know if this is happening because the coolant after about 10 minuets will be at the top of the expansion tank and bubbling like a volcano. Engine was fubared so gave the car to a friend to tinker with and bought my Puma. Best decision I made! Cheers Don.
Post #606089 2nd Mar 2017 4:57pm
Rickydodah

Is there any signs of water in the oil? Most cases of liner seal failure will seep water into the sump, however if the cooling system is not pressurising then you may have avoided this yet. Are the radiator/expansion tank caps in good condition? If the caps are not keeping pressure then neither will the system. The "sniff" test will test for combustion gases in the coolant water Confused I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #606092 2nd Mar 2017 5:25pm
Jim G

Hi,

No signs of water in the oil, nor 'salad creme ' in the rocker box. The cap doesn't seem to hold any pressure, so I swapped for the one off my defender 300 and had the same result, the cooling system doesn't seem to get any pressure in it! Could the old owner have done something to stop this ?
Tried to do a video of the noise , but it isnt obvious on the vid, but is obvious in real life, so looking a Don H 's answer ( many thanks) it probably isnt a liner moving.
Sniff test ordered off EBAY
Post #606101 2nd Mar 2017 6:00pm
Romadog

is thermostat fitted ?
Post #606130 2nd Mar 2017 7:38pm
Jim G

No Idea... I will check tomorrow
Post #606223 2nd Mar 2017 10:24pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Try taking the plugs out then disconnect the power to the fuel injection/pump so you can turn the engine over 'dry'. Did this with my brothers that was showing similar symptoms to yours (but with mayonnaise in the oil filler cap & pressure in the header tank) & hey presto cylinder no.8 ( right hand bank bulkhead end) was squirting water out of the plug hole when cranked on the key. Result is complete strip down & rebuild of engine under way... Big Cry
Post #606310 3rd Mar 2017 9:17am
Jim G

Thanks VVS210, I will try that tomorrow when I check the plugs and compression... fingers crossed
Post #606311 3rd Mar 2017 9:21am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Obvious thing to say but will say it just in case - do the dry crank test before you try and check compression - if there is water in the cylinder when you do the compression test it will not do the test gauge any good... Shocked

Be interested to hear how your engine swap goes as I am thinking along the very same lines - I'm going to sell my 90 SW shortly and will replace with a Td5 DC if I can find a decent one at the right price. However, my ideal choice would be a V8 DC so I am contemplating looking for a DC with a poorly engine and transplanting the engine and gearbox (R380 manual) from a Disco 1 along with a borg warner transfer box into it Very Happy
Post #606331 3rd Mar 2017 10:49am
Jim G

Actually.... not obvious to me ! Thanks.

Yes I looked for a Defender with a duff engine .... for nearly a year, I found that its hard enough to find one for sensible money at all, and there are not many with duff engines .

I have just bought a tatty 'well used' 90 circa 1984, with a very good 200TDi engine ( might actually be the best part of the truck Wink )

I think that the selling of the 200 TDi as its a Defender one, will recoup more than the reduction in price for one with a duff engine.

And ... I just want to get started ! I knew that I would be rebuilding all the truck anyway, so buying a 'well used one is not a big problem to me. I have rebuilt three before and .... many years ago built a 100 inch V8 Hybrid ( on a Range rover chassis , shortened 110 body etc) , and although my current road car is a Defender 300TDi that I rebuilt.... with the fuel turned up and an allard intercooler.... I REALLY miss that V8.... just no comparison !

And I fancy an auto for a change, I have read that its better in a Defender.... well I will keep the LT77 that comes with the truck as backup.... see if I can get a V8 bellhousing

Here are a couple of photos.... it actually looks better than it is.. ( unbelievably it has 9 months MOT on it)

so this Saturday is strip down day , if its not raining .

then the 200TDi with all the rad fitting kit etc is on EBAY with the winch bumper, roof and sides

Then strip the disco down ... break that ( shame really as the rear floor, sills and wheel arches are really good) ... fit new 1/4 chasiss to the Defender and get it galvanised with the bulkhead, rebuild doors etc....

My Grandson loves a red landie pickup toy I bought him... so .... its going to be a Red Pickup !

Anyone selling a truck cab ?
Post #606361 3rd Mar 2017 12:01pm
Jim G

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #606367 3rd Mar 2017 12:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>