↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender production
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
MGCarr

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rioja Red
New Defender production
For anyone that may be interested I have it on reasonably good authority that production of new LWB Defenders will start in July 2019 followed by the SWB in November 2019, so I am guessing that we will have to wait till late 2018 or early 2019 before we see an official launch.
Post #605947 2nd Mar 2017 2:30am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Where? the rumour is Slovakia.
Post #605954 2nd Mar 2017 7:09am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
The whole debacle is absurd. Personally, I can't remember any car manufacturer taking so long after stating that they would build a vehicle. It's become a joke. It would be better to think of 2020 - that will be 10 years after the DC100 was first 'concepted' in design and planning. This should be their core vehicle, the one that makes Land Rover what it is (was). Pathetic. I have nothing but contempt for Land Rover's managers.
Post #605979 2nd Mar 2017 9:23am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I think we are all going to be disappointed and glad that we have preserved our Defenders and Series vehicles. Landrover has gone for profit and popularity, as shown by the Velar. All the current line up are generic SUV's. Nothing to distinguish them from all the other Chelsea tractors - design over use ability. Not even high on reliability according to the recent surveys.
Rant over- this thread has turned me into a grumpy old man. Or as SWMBO would say - grumpier Whistle
Post #605983 2nd Mar 2017 9:36am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I just hope it isn't a comedy charicature like Toyota did with that FJ Cruiser a few years ago. I know this topic has been done to death, but a bit of uninformed speculation is always fun. What I can't get past is that LR have zero interest in commercial vehicles, and without that, the next Defender will not be a true successor to its predecessors. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #605986 2nd Mar 2017 9:50am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
I have a deposit on the list while I await its arrival.... I will need to really love it to take delivery. Prepared to be won over though as the D5 has grown on me already and as love the D4! 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #605987 2nd Mar 2017 9:50am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I loved the D3 and the D4, and the Evoque was inspired thinking (even if using Victoria Beckham was pathetically silly). But I can't stand anything else in the LR line-up. I don't know who the first person to call such cars 'Chelsea Tractors' was, but no one has been on the button so much as when Alan Yentob called Camila Batmanghelidjh 'A pile of Aladdin's laundry'.
Post #605995 2nd Mar 2017 10:14am
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
What puddle? wrote:
The whole debacle is absurd. Personally, I can't remember any car manufacturer taking so long after stating that they would build a vehicle. It's become a joke. It would be better to think of 2020 - that will be 10 years after the DC100 was first 'concepted' in design and planning. This should be their core vehicle, the one that makes Land Rover what it is (was). Pathetic. I have nothing but contempt for Land Rover's managers.

But they make shedload's of money, employ thousands of people in the UK and clearly give the car buyers what they want.

I'm happy to judge the new Defender when I see it, if it's not up to the job I won't buy one but I hope that that won't be the case. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #606002 2nd Mar 2017 11:00am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I'm not disputing that (if it stays true), but LR's lame and pathetic way of bringing out the new Defender is more than worthy of derision. It may be a standard example of how a manufacturing company can treat its core product (not necessarily its most profitable one) with all the ability of a bunch of local councillors trying to run a village.
Post #606006 2nd Mar 2017 11:09am
Vintagepaul

I won't disagree that they could have handled the introduction of the new Defender a lot better, over 3 years between the old and new models is extraordinary (can't see Ford doing that with the Fiesta!).

It may well be that the adverse reaction to the DC100 concepts caused them to think again and put them back a good deal of time.
I reckon that up to then they had got used to every new model that they introduced being well received in general and when it didn't happen with the DC100 concept they didn't know quite what to do. Laughing 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #606010 2nd Mar 2017 11:25am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I loved the DC100, I still do. I think LR really missed a trick - look at the sales of the Skoda Yeti (which is a lower height version of the DC100!). I think they were extremely foolish in not producing the DC100. The only way I can forgive LR for taking this risible amount of time is if the new Defender is innovative in some way. The longer it goes on, then it should certainly be a hybrid, for a start. Have you seen the press in the past week on the future of diesel? It doesn't look at all good, and yet here we are, with LR still inventing diesel engines and pushing them. So it has to be at least a hybrid, with a full-electric waiting in the wings, two years on. If it's just an Evoque with a better ground clearance, then what has taken so long? Maybe an Eastnor roof (anyone remember that?), or tyre-less wheels (which have been promised for as long as the new Defender). But if we have a re-hash of the DC100, with petrol/diesel engines, then you have to wonder at the mentality of the managers within LR. Only innovation can excuse the farcical wait.
Post #606012 2nd Mar 2017 11:47am
Huego

United Kingdom 
***prediction***

Next-Gen Defender will be revealed at Red Wharf Bay - 30 April 2018.

huego
Post #606017 2nd Mar 2017 12:05pm
Vintagepaul

Well that makes 2 of us then, I liked the DC100 as well...

Fair point about diesel but I think it will still be around for a good few years. It's alright for a here today, gone tomorrow politician to say that we should think very carefully about buying diesels but for many vehicles it's the only choice ( Vans, trucks & many SUV's).

Manufacturers I think are aware of the present backlash against diesel (although the particulate issue has been known about for years) but the lead time for the introduction of new powertrains is not the work of 5 minutes.

It's possible that LR may introduce hybrid versions of the new Defender but with the added weight and cost I bet they won't sell many of them.

What I do want to see from the new Defender is all the wheelbase/body configurations that were available with the old one but I'm not holding my breath. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #606019 2nd Mar 2017 12:07pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Sorry, I didn't mean the grumblings about people buying diesel, I meant Norway:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry...-cars-2025
This is to phase them out completely...in just 8 years...petrol AND diesel. Watch as other European countries do the same, certainly Japan, and China.

EV sales are taking off:

And this graph is indicative of world sales. Electric is the future, it really is. Just in case people missed it (because I initially did) Norway are PHASING OUT PETROL & DIESEL in just eight years. In the time that has passed since we first saw the DC100, petrol and diesel new sales will be banned. Countries will look at the health quality of their cities and go the same way. Any vehicle manufacturer is silly to ignore this, and they won't.
Post #606025 2nd Mar 2017 12:23pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
I find it ridiculous they praise all new Suvs to be "extremly capable" offroad...how capable is the new disco with these expensive plastic bumpers full with sensors, radars and electronics? And how capable is a vehicle without chassis. I dont want to think about repair costs after serious hit underneath the body of the new disco. And new "defender" will be as capable as all other SUVs.
I dont understand why LR didnt add to the real defender a plastic front bumper which can be replaced by a proppper winch bumper, than add front airbags - there is plenty of space, curtain airbags - also plenty of space in the roof, then put a gas engine for the US and a 100k price tag to compete with G wagon. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #606028 2nd Mar 2017 12:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>