Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Ramajama

United States 
Stuff wrote:
14 Feb 17 trading statement:

http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2017/0...er-revenue

# Third Quarter revenue of £6.5bn, up 13% year on year

# Retail sales of 149,288 vehicles , up 8.5% led by strong demand for Jaguar F-PACE, Jaguar XF and Land Rover Discovery Sport

# Profit before tax of £255 million and positive free cash flow of £54 million after £926 million of investment

Total retail sales of 149,288 vehicles, up 8.5% year-on-year, were a record for the third quarter with higher volumes in China, (up 38.4% including sales from the China joint venture), North America (up 19.8%) and Europe (up 7.0%) led by strong sales of Discovery Sport, Jaguar F-PACE and the Jaguar XF (including the new long wheelbase Jaguar XFL in China).

Jaguar retailed 45,364 vehicles, up 90.3% as sales of the F-PACE continued to grow and demand for the long wheel base XFL in China increased.

Land Rover retailed 103,924 vehicles, down 8.7%, with strong sales of the Discovery Sport more than offset by the run-out of the outgoing Discovery, ahead of the start of sales of the all-new Discovery later in the fourth quarter.

Dr Ralf Speth, Jaguar Land Rover Chief Executive Officer, said: “Continuing expansion and innovation in our compelling product range have driven up global revenues and retail unit sales, led by the Jaguar F-PACE, Jaguar XF, and Land Rover Discovery Sport.

“Models such as the all-new Discovery mark the latest step in our investment programme, which will underpin long-term profitable, sustainable growth.”

Third quarter profit before tax (“PBT”) was £255 million, primarily reflecting the run-out of the Discovery ahead of the new model, unfavourable foreign exchange revaluation, higher marketing expense and depreciation and amortization, partially offset by further recoveries related to the 2015 Tianjin Port explosion. PBT for the first nine months of 2016/17 was £934 million, down slightly from the £980 million in the nine months of the prior year.

Free cash flow was positive £54 million in the quarter after £926 million of total investment spending.

There's more information on the site and in the annual reports, including investments in new models and factories.

... take a look at the more detailed quarterly presentation:

http://c.jcms-api.com/download/7a38dd76-91...nfinal.pdf

... on page 10 a teaser silhouette of a LWB(?) Defender replacement ...

When JLR has used this teaser in the past (most recently the D5), the production car has been faithful to the silhouette.

I believe that silhouette was at the Velar launch during a press meeting. McGovern pointed at it when he spoke of the Defender. He said its nearly ready for debut.
If the silhouette is an indication, which its shows to be true to other models, then I am cautiously optimistic about the Defender. But it still looks a bit too much like the DC100 for my tastes. Guys, it will be a modern vehicle. Its going to be tough and its going to MUCH more single focused than Disco and RR families. It will come in affordable models all the way up to super posh trims. Should be something for everyone. I know the wait and time lapse before the new model comes out is ridiculous but Relax a bit and wait till you actually see it. They would have had itt out much sooner but they did have to scrap the whole thing and start over at one point because they know they have to do it right and not half ass it.
It'll be badass.
Post #608054 9th Mar 2017 4:50am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Ramajama,..I'm encouraged by the last "Outline" image in your post.
If the new Defender ia anything like that, and ya know what, I reckon it will be, I'll be happy, providing,........it has some real GRUNT under the bonnet, which is something I'm not at all confident about.
Pickles.
Post #608063 9th Mar 2017 7:46am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Ross, we'll have to disagree about hydrogen. For a while, it looked like being the future, but its problems are too large. Hydrogen is way too expensive, and thus expensive to convert a current engined car. You'll never see anyone put a hydrogen pack into a Defender, whereas electric Defenders have already been done. There is also the slight, yet serious, risk of a huge explosion in an accident. There is no hydrogen infrastructure, whereas the electric infrastructure is literally everywhere. Battery cars have just one solitary problem, range. We're at the stage in the technology where we can push it to 300 miles now. The mileage curve is a steep one though, and a 500-mile range car isn't that far away. There is an enormous amount of money being invested by companies to crack it. Fast charging currently means an 80% charge in just 25 minutes. I'm often in busy petrol stations that takes 10 minutes (to fill and queue to pay), so that's just an extra 15 minutes - you could have a coffee!

I have a BMW i3, and I really can't see myself EVER going back to fuel. I really mean that. My next car has got to be a hybrid, at least. I absolutely love my i3, and so does anyone who sits in it for a spin. The range of 125 miles just isn't an issue at all.
Post #608080 9th Mar 2017 9:11am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Mike, actually power companies can easily cope with electric car demands - so long as they are largely nocturnal. The commercial draw is about 22,000 MW during the day, but drops to 8,000 MW at night, leaving a huge drop-gap. Similarly, domestic draw is almost 20,000 (day) but merely 4,000 at night. Again, a big gap that could be filled by car charging. Overall, the gap between night and day draw is 25,000 Megawatts - that can and will be exploited. My roots are in the gas industry, and the talk of smart meters has been rumbling on for decades now - to get people to use the night-time electricity that is there. That's why the government is so keen to get people to adopt smart meters - they'll be able to raise the price of daytime electricity (and they certainly will) to coerce people on to night-time use. The downside to this, is that people will be running washing machines and tumble dryers in the middle of the night (just wait and see) to take advantage of the cheaper rate - meaning some neighbourly disputes. The government will also be able to shut your power off from an office in Wokingham. The battle about smart meters has yet to be engaged...
Post #608085 9th Mar 2017 9:40am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
"has some real GRUNT under the bonnet"

Pickles, here in the UK it will be a 2.0d more than likely....

Its all about emissions / tax / MPG now Big Cry
Post #608091 9th Mar 2017 10:07am
Huego

United Kingdom 
As I understand it in layman's terms, having an off-road terrain system connected up to electric axles would be a game changer..?

Can someone tell me of any mainstream EV 4x4s already on the market for comparison?
Post #608107 9th Mar 2017 11:24am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Post #608121 9th Mar 2017 1:21pm
Huego

United Kingdom 
do one.

honest curious question from an enthusiast.

bye
Post #608122 9th Mar 2017 1:23pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Huego. Honest answer - there aren't any, hence the tumbleweed! It wasn't meant personally.
Post #608130 9th Mar 2017 1:38pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Not sure if anyone else has been on the Series 1 Land Rover Reborn tour at Solihull but just got back (it was short but awesome). Guy running the tour (chap named Darryl) gave us some info (whether or not it's true, we'll have to wait and see).....
Planning to build 100,000 units a year
Production split over Solihull and Slovakia (neither factory big enough for entire production)
Bigger than old defender but very similar in style (more than the dc100)
Three wheel bases
Available in hard top, truck cab and station wagon
More capable than any other 4x4 currently on the market
Will be released to press in 14 months

He pretty much said "thats all i can tell ypu, dont bother asking any more".

So, still a bit of a wait then...... https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #608135 9th Mar 2017 2:18pm
Stuff

See JLR press release 18 months ago on their electric drive research:

http://www.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2015/0...n-research

I guess that some of this technology will find its way into iPace and other members of the JLR family.

Also, they're developing a new "Transcend" gearbox (see within this Ingenium press release):

http://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/2016...ain-family
Post #608138 9th Mar 2017 2:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
What puddle? wrote:
Mike, actually power companies can easily cope with electric car demands - so long as they are largely nocturnal.

I think you might want to do some research on that - JLR and many others have been making massive noise about lack of good infrastructure to deliver electric cars:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/...land-rover
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry...inds-trial

[/quote] Mike
Post #608172 9th Mar 2017 5:32pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Well lets hope that the bring the model out as a Petrol engine with the option of a dirty, shortly to be banned, diesel for those so minded to buy one. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #608177 9th Mar 2017 5:45pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
So much conjecture about seven squiggly lines. I have some straw blowing about here if anyone would like to clutch some.

Laughing Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #608193 9th Mar 2017 7:53pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Farmerben wrote:
Not sure if anyone else has been on the Series 1 Land Rover Reborn tour at Solihull but just got back (it was short but awesome). Guy running the tour (chap named Darryl) gave us some info (whether or not it's true, we'll have to wait and see).....
Planning to build 100,000 units a year
Production split over Solihull and Slovakia (neither factory big enough for entire production)
Bigger than old defender but very similar in style (more than the dc100)
Three wheel bases
Available in hard top, truck cab and station wagon
More capable than any other 4x4 currently on the market
Will be released to press in 14 months

He pretty much said "thats all i can tell ypu, dont bother asking any more".

So, still a bit of a wait then......

Very interesting....."100,000" is what it's all about isn't it,....a long way from the 15000max they were doing prior to production ending
By the way, a long time ago, I used to live at Vowchurch,...not far from you,...but a long way from me now!
Pickles.
Post #608248 9th Mar 2017 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>