↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > IPhone or samdroid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
IPhone or samdroid
Hi I'm sure this gets asked about as much as the spare bracket for the gearbox and I am sorry.

I currently have a samdroid s5, I have had it long enough to be on a sim only deal because well, I quite like it and it still has support.

I have never had an iPhone as when they were new new some of the core things like all apps are paid for and music is via iTunes didn't sit well. Equally I was something of a samdroid fanboy which doesn't help.

Thing is that I am starting to feel that Google and especially chrome are starting to loose their way a little and I hear from others that the similarities between the two almost make them indistinguishable.

Is it time to get a iPhone or is it still going to be totally alien to me and something I will regret.

Please try to be objective with the responses. Many thanks. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #604092 23rd Feb 2017 7:49am
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
I've had both and believe that it partly depends on the rest of your tech setup. I work in the technology sector, so perhaps more of a concern to me, however if you're prepared to buy into the Apple ecosystem (have/buy a macbook, use Photos, iCloud etc) you get a better (or at least easier and more seamless) overall unified tech experience with iPhone/Apple. If you use a mixture of other services then Android is definitely more open and offers better compatibility with more things. You can achieve the same, I just found that Android needed a bit more time/knowledge/googling to get it set up.

Just my 2p.
Post #604095 23rd Feb 2017 8:29am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
If you bite the bullet and get a top end phone like a Nexus 6 or Pixel then the Android experience is a step on from Apple. The post above is spot on though it does depend a bit on your wider choice of tech but I've been a Macbook Pro / Android user for many years and once the set up is right it works really well. I much prefer photos using the Google app, as its much simpler than the native IOS app. I find there is also something inherently uncomfortable about having all eggs in one basket, hence the split. I'm due a replacement phone shortly and will be sticking with droid.
Post #604096 23rd Feb 2017 8:45am
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I have both as well (iphone now gone to daughter).

I would say if you are happy with your existing phone don't bother. There is no additional value you will receive for the outlay.
And as Nick says, Apple like to tie you into their eco-system. However, even there it is not all smooth sailing. I found it easier to download photos from the iphone to a PC than to my Macbook Air.
Post #604097 23rd Feb 2017 8:49am
lambert.the.farmer

So as a reasonably happy windows 10 pc user and with no other apple products what you are all saying is that I would struggle with the changes? That's I think what I wanted to know, it's not broken so don't fix it. Cheers all. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #604100 23rd Feb 2017 9:04am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I was an Apple Fan from the first 3g, 4, 5, etc...

The thought.... Wait a minute WHY am I using an apple phone?

I don't use any other apple product
I don't use Icloud
It always runs out of space (I only ever had the 16GB version as they charge SO much for more)
It always asks for updates..
It's hardly a 'posh' phone anymore as all the school kids have them Smile

Then once I realised that all the apps I use on the iPhone work on the Android I swapped to a

Android One plus One, Bought it outright for more than half the price of the iphone, the £10 a month data and talk sim, Brilliant phone, I have had it 3 years and have not looked back, so much easier to get stuff on and off, very quick (even my old one had 3GB ram) great 5.5" screen.

If you have NO other reason you use apple products I really would see little point and keep to what you like.

As it happens I recently dropped my One plus and the insurance cannot repair it so paid out, the next model is the One plus 3T very high spec

https://oneplus.net/uk/3t
Post #604115 23rd Feb 2017 10:14am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Just be careful....

I was a Windows / Android / Anti Mac person.

iPhone is like a gateway drug.

I got one (a Iphone4)

I now have

Iphone5 (about to get a SE)
Macbook
Imac
Ipad (and kids have also)

Never even boot the PC up anymore....

Once they get their teeth into you it's hard to get away
Post #604117 23rd Feb 2017 10:18am
Rickydodah

I agree with Nick345345, all of our office is Apple and we can all communicate with each other very well, but we have had to have many bespoke apps written for variois tasks we perform; these cost Im told around 5 times as much as an Android app would cost. For home life I'm totally Android and I find it more of an intuitive experience particularly with Microsoft's one drive cloud which will share between windows and android easily, finally I'm free of iTunes which has to be the work of the devil in terms of software. My opinion if you're happy with android keep with it as it is far more flexible and advanced compared to the extremely expensive and no better Apple arrangement. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #604126 23rd Feb 2017 10:44am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I have a Microsoft Lumia 950XL. Windows phone is great now, but is sadly on its way out unless MS do something next year with the surface phones.
I wouldn't switch to iPhone as my work all revolves around Windows software. If I had to go Android, I'd be looking at the Blackberry phones. Not sure they're quite there yet, but for security and updates they look great.
Post #604167 23rd Feb 2017 1:48pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
If you want to pay £30 for the required adapter just so you can use your iPhone/Apple product and if you want to pay 'Apple Tax' i.e paying over the odds when you don't need to then yeah buy an iPhone.

If you want a cheaper alternative that has expandable memory for the low cost of a micro SD card then buy Android.
Post #604177 23rd Feb 2017 2:34pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
AMBxx wrote:
I wouldn't switch to iPhone as my work all revolves around Windows software. If I had to go Android, I'd be looking at the Blackberry phones. Not sure they're quite there yet, but for security and updates they look great.

I've got a BlackBerry PRIV and it is great. Although, ironically, for some things it's not as slick as my previous non-Android BlackBerrys have been. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #604191 23rd Feb 2017 3:35pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Nokia 3310

Bow down
Post #604192 23rd Feb 2017 3:37pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ You joke.... But I broke my Android One plus the other week,

Went to see our phone guy at work to see if I could use a spare, the ONLY phone he had that did not require an unlock code was a Nokia 3110 Smile

I used it for a week until the code came through for a smartphone Nokia I'm using with Microsoft Windows.... I actually think this is worse horrible interface, no app support, horrible thing... don't like the way the tiles keep moving either.
Post #604197 23rd Feb 2017 3:49pm
lambert.the.farmer

Thanks again for the advice \horror stories. I will keep up with what I have. Cheers. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #604224 23rd Feb 2017 5:46pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I've recently moved jobs, and moved from a 2nd generation Moto G (a two year old mid range phone) to a Samsung Galaxy S5 (a two year old top of the range phone).

I am really not a fan of what Samsung do to Android, it just make it worse and more difficult to use.
We're due a new phone contract soon at work, and I've asked them to put me on a sim only deal so I can buy the next (5th) generation of Moto G when it comes out.

If you're the sort of person that likes to do willy waving with your phone then by all means spend money on the expensive ones, or if you're the sort of person that has some very specific needs form a phone then go ahead. I was much happier with my £150 phone than my £500 phone. It worked better, I was less worried about killing it and I'm less worried about being mistaken for a flash git. Given I work in some pretty poor countries (and some pretty rich ones too), that's not an insignificant factor for me Laughing

Mid range phones give you 90% of the functionality, sometimes so features that you actually want that the high end ones don't do, and cost 1/3rd as much.
Post #604322 23rd Feb 2017 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>