↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Thoughts on this SIIa?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
orkneydave

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

I noticed that with the number plate too but I've seen S3s with their plate on the offside too. If it's been stripped in the past the plate may have been positioned to match later models.

The seller is in Orkney (where I am) but the land rover is currently in north England with a friend. He's bringing it up soon and has advertised locally here for sale with a price tag of £10k. He is hoping to get around £6k for it Shocked but I think this may be a bit much still given that it is quite a bitsa. I have concerns over what it is and will ask for the chassis number (and photos) so that I can check further. I have pictures of the underneath and engine bay and both look good. The chassis was shotblasted and painted 10 years ago.

I have wanted a swb soft top for a while and had been looking at early defenders (actually anything up to TD5), but have always liked the looke of SIIs and early IIas with the lights in the grill. I'm not too bothered by originality but I need something that is reliable and not too painful to drive (anything better than my sons rather dodgey ex MOD 110 will do Rolling with laughter ). It wont strictlybe a daily driver but I expect to be able to take it to work etc whenever I want.

Will keep you all posted Very Happy
Post #604631 24th Feb 2017 9:01pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Not being funny but even at £6k, on the face of it, he's having a laugh....
Post #604646 24th Feb 2017 10:08pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I've recently bought a SIII after looking for a bit and watching the price creep up,

I decided I wanted one which was tax free, over drive would be handy, I noticed the SII's as all of them are on the up especially with a MOT.

Mine was local, which was very handy and given where you are I guess that does help. Mine had an MOT although I'm having some stuff done so I'm happier..

Foot wells
Lower bulkhead near hinges
boot floor
new tank
Looking at inertia seat belts

Unless that has a galvanized chassis is does sound a bit keen even at £6K.... Looks good, paint etc, would need to poke under it. Its been plated in the foot well so would check both passenger and drivers one out (mines having these done). Have you physically seen it? I had mine on the ramps and not really knowing what I'm doing I took a bit screwdriver and hammer and poked all round it. When it went right through the footwell.... Shocked Shocked

Lower Sill missing, cheap enough, not keen on the wheels (easy change and personnel)

Mines a hard top which you may have more choice with? the hood sticks and hood can be bought around £450 hood sticks and £300 hood but it would look new (current one on that car bit worn..) apparently the rood roof bolts off Smile

Not easy to say without looking, if your happy then that's all that matters. I asked advice on here and took a punt. If you have a price in mind and have looked around and this suits then all good.

This is mine.... ready for me to start trying to sort Very Happy For me I only plan on using it on sunny days pottering to work and short trips out. Its a 2.25 petrol and not too keen on it going on a motorway.

Click image to enlarge
Post #604789 25th Feb 2017 5:46pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Looks lovely,

Have fancied one myself for years- ever since I helped one of my pals do his 109 up nearly 15 years ago in fact!

As you have mentioned, 6k is a rather a lot of money for a bitsa landrover.

Chris
Post #604796 25th Feb 2017 6:08pm
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I will also agree that £6k is quite steep for it. If it was a Series II/IIA bulkhead then maybe so, but I'd be looking to pay between £4 to 5k.

A new sand coloured canvas top, a set of deep sills painted to match, proper square number plate on front wing and some Limestone LWB wheels shod with 7.50s would improve the look no end, all for relatively low cost. Adding the rest of the Series III dashboard would improve the interior Thumbs Up Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #604872 25th Feb 2017 11:27pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rioja Red
Stacey 007

That looks a really nice, straight and honest Land Rover, a great start to good project, personally I have always liked the look of the Station Wagon with a Safari Roof Thumbs Up
Post #604881 26th Feb 2017 1:46am
Slideywindows

England 
When the vehicle arrives in Orkney, have a look at the chassis.

Assuming it hasn't been replaced, Series II/A is made of 4 flat plates welded into a box section.

SIII is usually two C sections welded together centrally, so there will be a weld down the centre of the chassis, top and bottom.

Whatever it started life as, it is now a bitsa with a bitsa value.

Nice paint job though...... Whistle
Post #605090 26th Feb 2017 8:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think that's only the case for later LWB models. I'm pretty sure that the SWB chassis were made in the same way as SIIA ones. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #605113 26th Feb 2017 9:33pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Yep came in around mid 70's on the S3 109s I believe
Post #605156 26th Feb 2017 11:11pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I think that's only the case for later LWB models. I'm pretty sure that the SWB chassis were made in the same way as SIIA ones.

Correct, the C section chassis were 109" only, the 88" chassis never really changed much.

With respect to the vehicle in question, be sure to check the number stamped on the dumb iron...but even then, stamps are inexpensive. Best bet would be to get someone from the series II club to check it over, any doubts, walk away, plenty more out there, especially when the price is so optimistic. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #608808 12th Mar 2017 8:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12