↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Soft top - reduce flapping - modification advice needed..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
c_eilersen

Denmark 2006 Defender 90 Td5 ST Tonga Green
Soft top - reduce flapping - modification advice needed..
Hi,

I have a 90" TD5 softtop fitted with a new Exmoore standfast canvas top fitted on a set of safety devices heavy duty hoops.
The fit is pretty good but being a soft top there is still a lot of noise when driving more than 50 Mph. Most of the noise seems to come from the soft top sides flapping in and out.

During the summer this doesn't bother me so much since I get to roll up the sides pretty often, but during the winter I am looking for some modifications that could reduce noise.
Since it is during winter a semipermanent solution (that would take a bit of time to remove) would be acceptable.

I was thinking about adding some extra support on the sides to eliminate flapping - possible solutions could be:

- adding an extra horisontal bar of some sort on each side (would have to pass over the side windows which isnt optimal.
- adding some extra horisontal straps
- adding some kind of sewn-in support - like the fibreglass stick used in sails?
- adding a complete "inner side panel" underneath the canvas hood on the sides - made of plywood, mdf etc. (with cut-outs for the windows)

have anyone tried any of these suggestions or have input to what might work the best?

Christian
Post #603769 21st Feb 2017 11:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I haven't tried any of those things but an inner panel made of clear Perspex may be a good compromise. Secure to the sticks with cable ties? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #603772 21st Feb 2017 11:10pm
Clint

Wales 
Hi,
Also have a 90 pickup ,which I fitted with a cab fiit three quarter exmore trim hood last autumn. Initially there was an awful lot of flapping , at 50 mph and over,which took a bit of time to diagnose where it was coming from exactly. The solution for me was to fit a few pieces of foam pipe insulation on the channels above rear window as the canvas was flapping onto the rear of the cab roof..

Clint
Post #603846 22nd Feb 2017 10:20am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Cant help but think that, if the material is slack enough to create noise by flapping, that putting a solid board of wood/polycarbonate (not Perspex!) will turn it from a flap into a horrible drumming. Have you ever witnessed the noise a slightly slack ratchet strap makes against the roof skin when you have something on a roof rack - imagine this in surround sound!

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #603855 22nd Feb 2017 10:50am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Not sure if your hood attaches to the tub with poppers or rope but I replaced all the rope with elastic from a chandlers and that made a significant difference, it's also much quicker to roll up the back / sides because there's no knots to undo.

Pipe lagging works well also as mentioned by Clint.
Post #603900 22nd Feb 2017 1:42pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
it will probably run the 'z' channel system to connect it to the tube.

one source of noise is the plastic buckles that hold the sides up and the two on the roof that hold the front back if you were to take back the section above the drivers seat. these will probably come off on mine.

i also fitted some black closed cell pipe insulation to my safety devices cage that helped.

the panel idea didnt work when i tried it previous.

open window 20mm helps, in that it blows out not sucks in!

ideal solution for noise reduction is back rolled up and window open a little. heater on full! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #603925 22nd Feb 2017 3:57pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
On my NAS 90 soft top the support for the top was the roll cage. The original vinyl top was somewhat sloppy and would flap in and out the same way. I had some closed cell foam pieces sewn to fabric with velcro, and wrapped the vertical portions of the roll cage with them, then installed the top. They essentially "pushed' the top outwards slightly, taking up the slack in the material. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #603943 22nd Feb 2017 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1