↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > My odd engine config and some belt issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
My odd engine config and some belt issues
Changed my pas & alt belts yesterday and with normal (good) belt tension I now have noisy steering but no alt light or squeal/slip. Before changing belts everything was fine and I re-bled steering box/pump and am pretty sure that isn't the issue.
My steering is groaning and losing PAS, at very low speed steering is heavy and no hydro assist.

To introduce my engine: 200tdi Disco in Defender '85. However it has a original 2.5 manifold leading to having a top mounted Garrett turbo rather than traditional Disco low mount (so it looks more like a real Def 200 engine). This leads to some interesting intercooler routing. I believe my alternator is Disco 200 (130amp uprated) and sits in a fairly low position - almost horizontal with the pulley it runs off of. I had to modify the slide bracket to allow extra slide for proper tensioning.

I technically don't know what model the belts I have replaced are: They came spare with the vehicle but are Bearmach/Dayco quality ones.

Questions:
- Are Defender 200tdi pulleys/belts and wider or narrower than Disco 200 ones?
- If an Alternator belt was used as a main drive belt by mistake would this cause problems (are the 2 belts different widths normally?) - I ask as the lengths I had were basically perfect but they could be totally wrong
- If belts are the wrong width then would that lead to the symptoms I am describing?

I will try and source normal Disco 200 belts tomorrow and fit, I can't really do much tonight as the vehicle is at my flat with minimal tools.

Thanks for any help and just ask if I can explain anything in more detail!

The only reason I did the change was to sort out the sketchy intercooler and air box routing/mounting from my previous owner - I had spare belts and hadn't changed them for the last year so thought I should time stamp their replacement asap!
Post #603694 21st Feb 2017 7:54pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Go online and compare belt pat numbers Thumbs Up
Post #603715 21st Feb 2017 8:52pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Your problem is the "bane of my life" with my 1989 with a 200 Tdi disco engine! I will take some photos for you ....but basically I think you have to make your own plan.

Good luck Wink
Post #603724 21st Feb 2017 9:32pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If I recall correctly on a Defender 200Tdi the alternator/water pump belt is a 10mm and the PAS pump belt is a 13mm, however the Disco lump has a very different belting arrangement so that may be of no use.

Post a picture of your belt setup so we can see what you have, I am struggling to picture it from your description.

Standard Discovery 200Tdi belt setup:

Post #603737 21st Feb 2017 10:06pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Defender 200Tdi setup for comparison:

Post #603738 21st Feb 2017 10:07pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
200 Tdi belt system is a pretty crap design to start with and now theyre all at the mileage where the other compontents are getting very worn, inspect everything carefully and buy good quality belts like "Gates" or "Conti". I did a set a few weeks ago and remember being a bit shocked at the price they'd climbed to, odd sizes.
Post #603809 22nd Feb 2017 1:44am
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Thanks very much guys!

I have replaced belts with standard config Disco 200 main/aux and also re bled my steering pump and it is all working well.
I think I had replaced with a pair of Def 200 belts which were similar length but not the same tooth depth which was causing too much resistance. The pump had also got some air in it which I attribute to me not topping the reservoir enough when I did a quick bleed the other day.

I now have a nice pair of Conti belts on there thanks to Euro car parts. I think my only confusion now is that I am running a Def alternator on what is otherwise basically a Disco 200 with wrong manifold and turbo.

Cheers!
Post #604248 23rd Feb 2017 7:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1