↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Spare wheel Carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Spare wheel Carrier
Spent some time yesterday at Donington with Brendan whilst picking up my Nakantenga side steps ( which I hope to fit later today) & my spare wheel lock.
I also had a look at the Nakantenga spare wheel carrier which is a nice piece of engineering but unfortunately not cheap.

I am trying to justify the benefits of owning such an item......
Can anyone help me out
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #603246 20th Feb 2017 8:31am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'm in the same boat and am really tempted by this http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52552.html but still a lot of money. I know the wheel puts a lot of strain on the back door, especially with all the slamming over the year, but I I'm assuming replacement hinges will be a lot cheaper than a wheel carrier. I also worry about them rattling and corroding.

If I ever did get one (find one at a good price) I think it would be worth the extra to get the Nakantenga as it is at least stainless and doesn't require any drilling Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #603262 20th Feb 2017 10:14am
Clint

Wales 
HI Guy,

I was having the same thoughts last summer when I was researching spare wheel carriers for my td5 pickup. After much deliberation went for the Nakatanenga carrier because it was stainless steel and needed no drilling into rear quarter. I've no intention of getting rid of my truck and wanted a carrier which would last, which hopefully this one will do !! I didn't fit it myself and my mechanic was full of praise and said it was superbly engineered.

Cheers

Clint
Post #603263 20th Feb 2017 10:27am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have had two carriers fitted, the first ended up going back to Peter at Nakatenga for inspection after a 26T lorry reversed into my 110 and pushed it 25 yards up the car park. The strength and engineering of the Nakatenga kit saved my Defender from major damage, a new back door was required rather than tub, side panels and roof which it would have needed!!

I fitted the Nakatenga S/S carrier as I've had experience of failed bearings and heavy corrosion on my previous Mantec and Sonic/Allisport carriers, couple this with galvanising and refinishing and you're almost at the cost of the stainless unit Thumbs Up 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #603275 20th Feb 2017 11:38am
datcullen

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Java Black
Having had a very squeaky, grotty looking, Mantec-esque (can't actually remember what make) spare wheel carrier on the TD5, I'm also thinking that the Nakatanenga is the way to go. Other than price the only downside I can think of is the fact that I can't pronounce the company name let alone spell it Razz

One question though - I'm looking to add a spare wheel mounted bike / ski carrier and wondered if anyone had experience of using either the paddock spares type:
http://www.paddockspares.com/da4118-bike-r...ery-1.html (I know this won't do skis)
or the Fabri Gringo:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabbri-Gringo-695...B002RACUCM

with a single arm carrier such as the Naka-whatsit?

We only ever carry a max of 2 bikes - 1 MTB and 1 kids or 3 pairs of skis so not a huge weight.

TIA
Beau 110 UW - '15 2.2
90 - '85 V8 soft-top
RRC - '84 5 door, Option Pack C, 33k miles from new
---
Elise S1 - '00 Millennium SE
Elan +2 - '68 kit built by my dad
Panda 4x4 - '87 in Italy
Post #603281 20th Feb 2017 11:49am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Spare wheel Carrier
Chopperone wrote:

I also had a look at the Nakantenga spare wheel carrier which is a nice piece of engineering but unfortunately not cheap.

I am trying to justify the benefits of owning such an item......
Can anyone help me out
Guy

Guy, do I have to say I am biased?

Good quality engineering does not come cheap!

Look at PJB advert, a one year old, used Nakatanenga wheel carrier sold relatively quickly for £500. Now we have had to put up the pice by about 10% due to the fall in the £ against the euro so PJB would have paid less then £600 for it. Now how mainly second hand wheel carriers would have a depreciation of less then 20%?

Look at the Christmas charity auction when the winning bid was more then the normal retail price.

Must give you an indication to what people think about the quality of the Nakaranenga stainless wheel carrier.

jomara, I knew a 27 tonne lorry had reversed into your 110. I did not realised it had pushed your 110 25metres across a car park. The wheel carrier was not badly damaged I seem to recall.

Brendan
Post #603357 20th Feb 2017 7:01pm
Harrygf

United Kingdom 
Thumbs up for the Nakatanenga from me. Had mine on for ~2-3 years and think it is great. Very neat but as you say quite expensive. I think worth the extra. Now converting my CSW to a soft top and the wheel carrier can stay as is- which is great Smile.

I very nearly bought that one in the for sale section for my father-in-law who has been very envious of mine ever since I got it.
Post #603360 20th Feb 2017 7:17pm
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Re: Spare wheel Carrier
leeds wrote:

jomara, I knew a 27 tonne lorry had reversed into your 110. I did not realised it had pushed your 110 25metres across a car park. The wheel carrier was not badly damaged I seem to recall.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

I think the most damaged part of the carrier was the door plate but I was surprised it survived as well as it did, definitely saved my 110 from some serious expensive body repairs (as if £4K wasn't enough Snigger )

Are you guys coming to the Scottish LR show this year? Thumbs Up

Cheers
John 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #603368 20th Feb 2017 8:13pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
After a lot of time weighing the options (and costs) I went with the Nakatanenga. I wanted it from the get go, but needed to justify the cost. Not only the cost of the carrier it's self, but also shipping it half way around the globe just adds to the overall expense.

I HATE rust... being made from stainless is a HUGE advantage, being it will never rust or need re-coating

No drilling into the capping, as you would with a Mantec carrier.

Single pivot bearing is HUGE... = reliability

There's adjustability for the positioning due to wheel offset / tire width

There's also adjustability for closed fit to the door. Absolutely NO rattle or noise at all.

It is the ultimate as far as a tire carrier goes, it just doesn't get any better, and will probably outlive the vehicle.

You truly do get what you pay for.

One other point... if one was looking to buy a Defender, and on the list of equipment in the advert for the vehicle was was a tire carrier, which would raise your eyebrows more, and look closer at the advert? "swing away tire carrier" or "Nakatanenga swing away tire carrier" it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #603373 20th Feb 2017 8:44pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
CDN, when has Canada been halfway across the world? Razz

We have shipped these wheel carriers to various places including Zambia, Singapore, UAE, New Zealand, Australia and 6 to a customer in the Falkland Islands. Obviously I am sure Nakatanenga could add to the list of non European countries they have been sent too.

Not the cheapest wheel carrier in the market place (however not the most expensive one either Laughing ). People do seem impressed with the quality of the engineering and having seen them being machined it is extremely impressive to watch..

Will try and find out what bikes can also be attached. Skis will not be an issue. Please remember to use an extension lighting board if bikes obstruct number plates and lights.

Brendan
Post #603467 21st Feb 2017 12:13am
CDN38

"half way across the world" is a bit of a figure of speech....but when you live on the "left coast"...

Earth's circumference at the 49th parallel is - 26,000KM

Vancouver to Germany... 8,200KM... about a 3rd.

I stand corrected, but it's still a costly distance to ship a 20kg hunk of steel in a big box... well worth it though.

It's one of the things we have to deal with out here... I just bought a Hannibal 2.4 awning, 20% off January sale... nice savings....still £180 to get it here Rolling Eyes ... however... If I want a Global Roamer overdrive... I can drive 5 minutes down the road and pick one up from Ray's shop! Laughing it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #603475 21st Feb 2017 12:37am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Not that im getting one any time soon...but do you have to remove the NAS step to fit it - i note its compatible with the NAS step Mike
Post #603482 21st Feb 2017 1:54am
CDN38

In order to access 2 of the fasteners, you will need to remove a NAS step bumper.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #603483 21st Feb 2017 2:00am
leeds

United Kingdom 
It is quite a while since I have fitted one with a NAS step fitted.

I can not remember if we managed to fiddle the bolts into position with the NAS step in place or took the alternative route of threading the bolt through from the inner side of the rear cross member.

Brendan
Post #603486 21st Feb 2017 2:18am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Thanks - i currently find myself planning jobs based on a "can i be bothered" to strip to fit principle Laughing Mike
Post #603490 21st Feb 2017 2:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>