↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > DIY Clutch change.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
DIY Clutch change.
So my clutch needs to come out, apart from it rattling a bit, there is a leak from the rear crank seal.

Has anyone ever done theirs on the drive or the road side?

Im thinking i'll remove the cubby box and the plastic tunnel cover then put an engine crane through the door and support the box. I don't really want to remove the entire seat box, just the central panels.

I'm pretty well equiped with everything, except a transmission jack, hence using the engine crane instead.

I'm thinking of removing the transfer box too and replacing the adaptor shaft with the Ashcroft kit. But i'm wondering if it would be better to remove the transfer box first, then the gearbox as it will perhaps make less of a heavy lump to manouver about. But on the other hand leaving the transfer box connected might help balance the thing when it's suspended by the crane.

So as well as the clutch i'm replacing all the hydraulics, master and slave cylinders, replacing the hydraulics with the later type from the 2.2. Replacing the crank rear seal and refitting the flywheel with new bolts. Fitting a new spigot bearing and might replace the input oil seal too. I'll be using genuine parts apart from the Ashcroft adaptor shaft, as i don't want the hassle of doing it twice!

Ive got some railway sleepers i can drive the car on it to make underside access easier.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my plan?
Post #602344 16th Feb 2017 7:50pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Done it, not difficult, but do remember that you're lifting things heavy enough to cause life-changing injuries in an accident.

It is easiest to remove the transfer box first, then the gearbox, and essential if you're working with the vehicle on the ground (there's not enough height to get them out as a single unit).

You won't regret buying a transmission jack, it makes the job so very much safer and easier.
Post #602365 16th Feb 2017 8:21pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The problem with transmission jacks is storage. I did look at getting a cradle for my Webber trolley jack but none of the cradles i found will fit the hole in my jack without modification.

Quote:
do remember that you're lifting things heavy enough to cause life-changing injuries in an accident.

Yep, a gearbox would definitely leave one with a headache if it landed on you.

Engine crane with a 5t lifting strop should be fine though.
Post #602374 16th Feb 2017 8:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine's behind the settee at the moment but fortunately SWMBO hasn't noticed yet! Laughing
Post #602463 16th Feb 2017 11:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1