↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > indicator frustration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
xcentric

indicator frustration
my indicators, front drivers side, are playing up. Started that occasionally they'd flash fast, as if a bulb had gone - tapping the side indicator hard would fix it.

Then it stopped working. Have taken it all apart, and all bulbs are fine - so it's the connections inside somewhere. Have pretty much rewired/reattached bullet connectors, but it's still not working.

So, is there a way of progressively adding in lights to the loom? I ask because with all disconnected, reconnecting just the front indicator still doesn't work, which seems odd but is it because the others aren't connected too?

Anyone got a step by step approach that allows me to identify what is wrong where?

ta!
Post #602322 16th Feb 2017 6:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
With only one connected, it should flash quickly as the flash rate is proportional to the load. If it's not working at all though, there's a problem with the supply somewhere.

How old are the lights? I ask because what I assume are the originals on mine are just worn out and the bulbs don't always sit properly in the bases anymore, with exactly the symptoms (and temporary cure) you describe. I'm part way through replacing them with more modern ones. although it does need larger holes cut in the bodywork. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #602415 16th Feb 2017 10:11pm
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
It is probably an earth or live feed on that side that is a bit iffy. I seem to remember the front and sides are linked on the same feed. Take them off and have a look at whats going on and switch clean the connectors and repair any loose terminations.

Check the lamps of course!

I believe the earlier fixtures took their ground from the screws that attach into the bodywork which I certainly had to revise when my LED replacements didn't work the same way.
Post #602544 17th Feb 2017 11:33am
Profyaffle

United Kingdom 
I had the same trouble so just replaced the whole lamp unit which fixed it for a while but the fault returned after a few weeks. this time I replaced the side repeater unit and changed all the connectors on the new lamps with proper Lucas bullets as the ones on the new units were a poor/loose fit. Make sure when you test it that the unit is earthed to the body with the screw as that can stop it working properly too... Don't ask how I know Whistle
Post #602567 17th Feb 2017 12:57pm
xcentric

so, the further I take it apart, the worse it seems to get Mad

Have earthed the strap with a lead to the battery earth, so although it's disconnected from the chassis it should still have an earth..... disconnected everything from the loom - but can't get much joy from measuring the loom itself (which I know should be working, as it mostly was before I took it all apart.....).

With nothing connected, I'm assuming I should be able to see 12v on the sidelight wire when they're on, and a fluctuating voltage, never 12-0-12-0 as my multimeter isn't that expensive, but maybe 5-2-5-2..... all I get is a few millivolts fluctuation, and nothing on the sidelights.....

shouldn't have started taking it apart.....
Post #602847 18th Feb 2017 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1