↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 Defender engine dies when warmed up and driving....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LAB

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
2.4 Defender engine dies when warmed up and driving....
Hello chaps,

problems with my Defender and I'm almost bald now!

When its warm after 5 miles the engine just cuts out and grinds to a halt. Initially it will start fairly easily and run again for a few hundred metres and then grind to a halt again. So far I have changed the obvious, fuel rail pressure sensor, vcv valve, fuel filter along with checking fuel lines for flow and leaks. I have driven with the MAF disconnected and also the MAP and it still grinds to a halt. It only does it when it has reached full operating conditions and it otherwise drives wonderfully.....

In the meantime it's back to the 300!

all the obvious checked, fuel, oil, water, tank venting etc.....
Post #601653 13th Feb 2017 10:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Checked for DTC's? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #601655 13th Feb 2017 10:48pm
LAB

No codes stored and no codes pending.......
Post #601697 14th Feb 2017 8:21am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If it simply cuts out and the engine stops dead (ie without any misfiring or rough running) I would be looking at crankshaft position sensor, ignition circuit (includign switch and relays), passive immobiliser, or ECM.

For any of the other engine sensors or controls (MAF, MAP, EGR, turbo actuator, fuel system and that sort of thing) I would not expect a sharp cut-off of the engine.

There are relatively few things that will stop the engine abruptly like that, and the absense of DTCs suggests perhaps that the ECM thinks that you have stopped the engine, rather than a fault.
Post #601704 14th Feb 2017 8:52am
LAB

Thanks for the replies!

The immobiliser would not shut the engine down whilst it is running only stop it starting. If the crank sensor were faulty I would have a correlation problem between that and the cam sensor. If there were an ignition problem it would turn everything off and it would happen under cold conditions. When it stops, to restart I have to turn the key back to be able to crank the engine and under no ignition the egr does its clean cycle so I'm not loosing feed th there
Post #601735 14th Feb 2017 10:58am
blackwolf

The camshaft position sensor is only used during the engine start sequence. If the crankshaft position sensor has an intermittent heat related fault it would stop the engine, but I would expect DTCs.

The PI polls the key periodically whilst the engine is running (easy to prove with the right tools) but I am not sure what happens in the key fob "disappears" whilst the engine is running. It seems logical to suppose that it won't cut the engine (all manner of legal imlications there) but would inhibit subsequent start. I know that this subject was discussed at length on the forum some years ago but can't remember the conclusion.

You could have a connection problem which is heat related, which could interrupt the ignition or another critical signal. An ECM fault could also be temperature related.

An unusual problem!
Post #601737 14th Feb 2017 11:10am
LAB

After breaking down on a busy dual carriageway I can understand why immobilisers don't have an effect on the running once started. There were a number of people who almost ran into the back of me. Still on a positive note it would have been the end of the problem.....

Just checked live data and once it starts it's problem after a drive, it's the fuel pressure that fades as the engine cuts out.....
Post #601782 14th Feb 2017 1:47pm
Gonarezhou

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alaska White
Check the fuel pump ... remember that in the 2.4 you only have one pump that is both low and high pressure. Could simply be some muck on the low-pressure side. A friend of mine with a similar problem needed an ECU replacement.
Post #601806 14th Feb 2017 3:58pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Blocked tank breather? under n/s rear arch. Next time it happens take the tank filler off

Or loose fuel filter?
Post #601872 14th Feb 2017 8:22pm
LAB

Checked the vent previously and taken the cap off, no issues there. When it happened (and it has each time I have tried a new component at the same point to the odd 500 metres) I removed the filter and all full of fresh diesel. No problems at the pump and no problems with the ecu.
Post #601913 14th Feb 2017 10:36pm
Noiseydave

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Santorini Black
Hi Lab

We have a 2.4 90 which would cut out when warm but was random in nature. It was resolved with a new CHT and there was found to be break in the engine loom but i don not know where to or from. I can not comment on any DTC found as it was dealt with under warranty by the dealer.
Post #602214 16th Feb 2017 10:52am
LAB

Hello again and thanks for the replies.

A brief delay and to compound my woes the clutch failed (spring came out and jammed the release) so I have had to replace it. My girlfriend offered to help but being a size 8 I didn't think she would be a great deal of help. Come to think about it, that was the only time I wished I was dating someone the size of a female Russian shot putter. All done now and I have got a super smooth gear change and eradicated all the clunks. Finally and more importantly tonight I have cured the cutting out issue......

J
Post #607708 7th Mar 2017 10:24pm
dgardel

Italy 
How? Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #608106 9th Mar 2017 10:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LAB

Everytime it did this and it did after driving between 7 and 8 miles I had checked the fuel filter and it was full. However once when it stopped I was pondering life and I noticed a vibration / slight noise. Being that it was warm, it would now stop again shortly so I lay underneath and waited. It stopped and the noise came from the rear but was a bit elusive. Another go and I traced it to the fuel filter. So another go and wait for it to cut and quickly removed the fuel filter and it was empty. Removing the tank revealed a badly perrished breather and black gunge in the swirl pot that was blocking the fuel pick up.
Post #608363 10th Mar 2017 12:52pm
blackwolf

aha, diesel bug!
Post #608372 10th Mar 2017 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>