↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Engine Conversion and Galvanised Chassis
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Engine Conversion and Galvanised Chassis
Just a quick hypothetical as I plan for a future engine conversion (type tbc). Given a new galv Chassis is just 2k, and given my intention would also be to upgrade the suspension, springs, bushes, ARBs, and add a Big Brake Kit, what mileage would there be in supplying an entirely new chassis for the engine and mods to be added from scratch? Would it be quicker, therefore easier, therefore less expensive on labour? Further, if a V8 specific chassis was bought would it make for a better fit, so again save time/cost but also ultimately make for a better finished product? Given I have a DC, I would assume lifting and replacing the body from old to new would be (relatively) simple and would leave a Chassis, with OE springs, shocks, turrets, brakes etc ready for resale. I think it would be worth approx £1000. So I suppose I'm wondering if the extra £1000 difference would balance out the labour costs, indeed ultimately reduce them, and make for a better final conversion?

Any thoughts? Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #643383 12th Aug 2017 10:15am
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I had a new galvanised chassis on my old 110, but it was originally a V8 so essentially just swapped like for like. I also used a Rover V8 so standard V8 engine mounts were in the right place. I'm not sure what chassis modifications are required to fit an LS3. Richards seemed quite amenable to making mods at the chassis construction phase as long as I was prepared to wait.

Over here the DVLA are keen to avoid ringers so I was led to believe that I need to keep all documentation relating to the chassis swap and ideally keep the original chassis number cut out of the old chassis so that it could not be reused. This didn't happen in the end, and I'm not sure if the French authorities would be similarly interested.

I'm not sure it would be a money saving route to take, but it could allow whoever is doing the swap to be more thorough. Usually only applicable if doing it yourself. When I had a conversation about painting the chassis before assembly, it was dismissed as so time consuming that it would only be done by DIY-ers.
Post #643399 12th Aug 2017 11:07am
foxyred

England 1994 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Montalcino Red
Would be surprised if you got £1000 for a used chassis without V5
Post #643488 12th Aug 2017 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1