Home > Technical > R380 vibrations at high revs under load
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
R380 vibrations at high revs under load
Good afternoon Landroverers,

My 2005 td5 90 (82,000 miles) has developed a moderate vibration/shake seemingly from the transmission above around 2500rpm when under full load, most noticeably in 3rd and 4th gear when getting up to speed on a motorway slip road for example.

The engine is remapped so the torque is significantly above standard. It also had a new clutch and DMF 12 months ago. The vehicle is 2" lifted with well greased Gwyn Lewis front double cardon and rear heavy duty propshafts, but I don't think the vibration is coming from these.

I have a trip to the Pyraneese booked in the second half of 2017, so want the car to be as reliable as possible by then. With this in mind, I am thinking of removing the gearbox and taking it to Ashcroft to be rebuilt and have the heavy duty bearings fitted (and maybe their uprated centre diff pin done too).

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms themselves? There is no vibration at all under part load or at lower rpms - and as well as the noise you feel it quite strongly through the gear stick. Am I wrong in suspecting the mainshaft bearings?

Regards,
Chris.
Post #599283 5th Feb 2017 5:31pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I had a vibration at higher speeds which ended up being the crank pulley, the rubber balancer that is bonded to the pulley starts to degrade. Do you get a sort of chirp noise when switching the engine off? If so this could be your problem too. You could get a pry bar Inbetween the pulley and block while the engine is off and see if there feels to be a lot of play. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #599287 5th Feb 2017 5:51pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Propshaft UJs probably. Give them a good check for play.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #599306 5th Feb 2017 6:48pm
Hufflepuff

Two things to check, thanks gentlemen. The tensioner is making a noise since the local indy changed the belt (despite me asking them to change the tensioner too). Somewhat surprised that that would cause this noise though.
As for the UJs, I hope they are good. I grease them after each off roading trip, and they have less than 5k miles on them, but I will check them too, thanks.
Post #599437 5th Feb 2017 11:12pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Especially with a double cardon prop even the tiniest amount of play can cause a vibration Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #599446 5th Feb 2017 11:20pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I changed my drive belt tensioner at the weekend and it's lessened a lot of the vibration on the whole motor, still got other bits to sort though Whistle
Post #599548 6th Feb 2017 1:35pm
Hufflepuff

How easy is it to change the tensioner? It looks suspiciouly like a job which I might start on then discover I am stuck without transport when I cannot put it back together again!
Post #599643 6th Feb 2017 7:11pm
JWL

It's one of the easy jobs,take off the engine cover and plastic cover over the fan so you can see what you're doing. Whip the viscous fan off then get a socket on a long bar to lever back the tensioner to release the serpentine belt off the alternator and tensioner, push the slack down out of the way so the belt stays on the other pulleys so you don't forget which way round the different pulleys they go (don't ask me how I picked up that idea, there is another way the belt can go, it looks right but it's a good job the belt doesn't quite fit but it takes you a good time to realise Whistle )
There is a 12 sided IIRC 9/16 AF headed bolt through the tensioner body, I used a 3/8 drive socket as it was thinner to get inside the recess of the tensioner body. Undo that, remember which way the tensioner pulley on the arm was facing and replace it with the new one. There is a lug that sticks out of the tensioner body that fits in a guide on the mounting face, just get that to pop in and pop it all back together. In good old Haynes manual speak, reassembly is a reversal of disassembly.
Jobs a good un Thumbs Up
Having a fan spanner, thin walled 12 sided sockets and perhaps a helping hand to hold the tensioner back when putting the belt back on as it is easier to turn the engine with a socket on the crank bolt so you can feed the belt over the pulleys is an advantage, they don't have to be skilled, I enlisted my teenage son to hold the tensioner but you could tie it up to keep it in place.
Post #599933 7th Feb 2017 9:40pm
Hufflepuff

Brilliant thank you JWL, I have all those bar the helping hand. I will get the tensioner ordered and get on and change it, cheers!
Post #599984 7th Feb 2017 11:28pm
JWL

I bought a Bearmach one, exactly the same as the one(original) that came off. I do get a good deal at my local motor factors and had change to get two four pinta's of milk from a £20 note Thumbs Up
Post #599989 7th Feb 2017 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1