↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Slight play in RHF & Privacy glass recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
APK

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
Slight play in RHF & Privacy glass recommendations
Hi All,

Appreciate recommendations for Privacy Glass installation for passenger windows of a 110 near W/SW London please.
I can basically travel upto a 50 mile radius if the vendor is highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by APK on 26th Jan 2017 1:50pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #596383 26th Jan 2017 12:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
A wierd thing has happened!

I replied to a thread entitled "Slight play in RHF hub" or something very similar, but by the time I clicked submit that thread had morphed into a thread about privacy glass and disappeared, thus rendering my reply somewhat irrelevant!

That's a new one for me!
Post #596392 26th Jan 2017 1:13pm
APK

Slight play in RHF & Privacy glass recommendations
Blackwolf, thats my bad!

I initially posted the RHF play issue. The service manager got back to me and said they would adjust FOC as goodwill gesture. Since I did not receive a response from the forum I changed it to the Privacy glass question.

I would really appreciate you leaving your answer to 2) regarding spacers please - for my furture reference. Wish I saved it.

Apologies for the confusion!

Here is the original post:

Recently had a first service (1 year anniversary, 6k miles). The technician advised that there was slight play in the RHF wheel hub and suspected wheel bearings adjustment was needed. He mentioned that this should be covered by warranty.

However, the warranty manager just got back to me and mentioned that vehicle warranty does not cover items that are subject to adjustment during normal service or maintence operations unless the work is required as a direct result of a manufacturing defect.

Questions:
1) Given that the vehicle has done only 6k miles, my view is that the bearings were not set when it left the assembly line and is therefore a manufacturing defect. Does this make sense?
2) How serious is the bearings adjustment, can this be addressed at an independant and will this affect warranty?
Post #596397 26th Jan 2017 1:36pm
blackwolf

As luck would have it, I still had the full text of my original reply in my paste buffer! So here it is:-

I tend to agree with your point 1, at 6k miles there should be no excessive pay and unless there is a defective bearing no noticeable wear should have taken place, therefore it does suggest some form of assembly error or manufacturing defect.

Re. 2, yes, and independent could sort it easily enough, but since rectification will require the fitment of a different spacer sleeve in the hub they may not have the necessary range of spacers to do this. If the vehicle is still under warranty I'd suggest that discarding the spacer and reverting to the earlier, fully adjustable, set-up, is not an option.

I would be inclined to return to the dealer and make a fuss. Point out that (if the play is "excessive") this would be an MOT failure if the vehicle required an MOT and therefore technically makes the vehicle unroadworthy. The only way that a hub bearing could wear to this state in 6k miles is if it was not correctly assembled (either loose, tight, or unlubricated) in the factory, which is what the warranty should cover. Are they really saying that a properly maintained Defender becomes unroadworthy in 1 year/6k miles of normal use?

Thank you for reassuring me that I haven't gone mad!
Post #596412 26th Jan 2017 2:36pm
APK

Many thanks blackwolf. Invaluable advice.

I am trying to get my head around:

Quote:
If the vehicle is still under warranty I'd suggest that discarding the spacer and reverting to the earlier, fully adjustable, set-up, is not an option.

May I know why the fully adjustable set-up is not an option if the vehicle is still under warranty please?
Post #596427 26th Jan 2017 3:11pm
blackwolf

I am pretty certain that LR would consider it to invalidate the warranty as far as any claims on hubs are concerned, since it is a material change in spec from the as-built condition and is not something that the current workshop manual mandates.

If a main dealer chose to do it, it probably wouldn't affect the warranty. Anyone else and I think it would.
Post #596428 26th Jan 2017 3:16pm
APK

Thanks again.

Out of curiosity, may I know if this is Defender general knowledge or a common enough problem?
Are you able to direct me to the current workshop manual please?

It is uncomfortable feeling so ignorant! Embarassed
Post #596434 26th Jan 2017 3:32pm
blackwolf

It is widely known. All Landrover and Defenders prior to the TD5 had adjustable hub bearings with two nuts on the stub axle. From the TD5 onwards the bearings are not adjustable, instead they are assembled with a select-to-fit spacer between the bearings, then a single stake nut is tighened up very tightly and staked. It is likely that this was done to de-skill the assembly process, it certainly offers no long term advantages and several disadvantages, one the which is the need to have a set of spacers available if you change the bearings (there are those who say that the spacer shouldn't need changing if the same make of bearings are used, but in practice it generally doesn't work like this). It is generally easier, if the wheel-bearings need replacing, to convert to the earlier arrangement.

Def2 member dgardel has the WSM available as a download, if you use the search function on the forum you should be able to find details of how to get a copy.
Post #596437 26th Jan 2017 3:42pm
APK

Thumbs Up Bow down
Post #596438 26th Jan 2017 3:52pm
APK

Bump...

Appreciate recommendations for Privacy Glass installation for passenger windows of a 110 near W/SW London please.
I can basically travel upto a 50 mile radius if the vendor is highly recommended.

Thanks in advance!
Post #599317 5th Feb 2017 7:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1