↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Satnav for caravaners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
keef9t

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Satnav for caravaners
Looking to replace my ageing unit with something more suited to my needs. I've read a lot about satnavs designed with caravaners in mind and it seems they don't always do what they are supposed to i.e keep you out of trouble with narrow roads etc. In spite of claims that by inputting the size of the unit you will stay on the appropriate route a lot of caravaners say they don't always work.
So, what do you guys and gals, who tow caravans, use and what do you find works best. Ideally, I am looking for a stand alone unit, Tomtom or Garmin. I don't have a smartphone and my iPad is wi-fi only.

Thanks, Keith
Post #599151 4th Feb 2017 10:56pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I use a normal TomTom Go think its 5000 with the free map updates, cameras and live traffic updates built in (so no need to connect it via your phone)

Works very well, if I'm booking through the caravan club book them read the description to the site as often there is a good way and a not so good way in....

I also tend to google maps the last bit in off anything like a main road just to see the type of approach.

Even when we have not done this generally your ok Smile I've breathed in a few times in the car and then remember the vans behind... but it always works out.

When we did a few stops round Devon camping I was surprised at how narrow (with few passing places) the roads were to some of the sites...now towing that would / could be fun. However we never encounter any issues meeting a vaner..

I think a normal one will be fine but then I would not pay for the truck / caravan version Smile
Post #599153 4th Feb 2017 11:07pm
keef9t

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Thanks for the info. I agree with what you say about the CC site access instructions. It would be foolish to ignore their advice.
How do you find the tom-tom updating of maps. I have also read this can be both a troublesome and lengthy process. Life is short, so have your pudding first
---------------------------------------------

2007 90 2.4Tdci County HT Stornaway
Discovery 1 200Tdi Sold
90 Turbo Diesel HT Sold
110 2.5NA CSW Stolen
88 Series II Sold
Meccano Set. Don't know what happened to that
Post #599160 4th Feb 2017 11:56pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Garmin dezl760/770 - nice 7" screen and allows 3 vehicle profiles ( width, height, length) to be stored

Had mine 4 years now, no issue

Has speed camera alerts, obdc engine diagnostics via Bluetooth interface, reversing camera interface, regular updates, updates for life, map updates for life, live traffic alerts and redirects.. can't fault it for features

Last edited by bpman on 5th Feb 2017 2:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #599182 5th Feb 2017 9:16am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I haven't got a caravan specific one ( keep thinking about it ) but I fell out with my Tom Tom kept crashing so went to Garmin which has been fine in the uk and Europe although I do a bit of research on other map systems as well as they do go on some dodgy roads if you don't watch it.
Post #599186 5th Feb 2017 9:52am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The Tom Tom upgrades were a nightmare. I bought the wife and my Dad Tom Toms. Many a time the Satnav would freeze or take hours to upgrade. It was so bad, the wife bought me a Garmin. Updates in a few minutes. Just after this, my Dad tells me the Tom Tom upgrade had been improved and it is now acceptable.
Caravaning apart, the Tom Tom is more customisable but the Garmin interface for me is easier to get around and work with. I don't have the top end version, but the only gripe is I don't seem to be able to have speed camera audible warnings without the verbal directions which is something I liked on the Tom Tom. Plus the Garmin alerts don't seem particularly loud, unless the voice is wound up loud as well.
Post #599187 5th Feb 2017 10:10am
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
If you look at the Snooper Sat Nav site they do specific ones for Caravans, Lorries etc
I have one in the Landy and you can specify the size of your vehicle
I bought mine because it came with MemoryMap built in which is excellent for off roading etc
The satellite stability is excellent - using 12 satellites to get a position - any one know where these co ordinates are ?

Click image to enlarge
Post #599192 5th Feb 2017 11:04am
trooper

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tamar Blue
I have had very few problems over the many years using Garmin GPS's, initially with the GPSMAP 276c, then the MONTANA and now the recently introduced GPSMAP 276Cx. They have more useful facilities that suit my particular needs eg 4x4 expedition travel, caravan and motorhome travel. You do need to always be careful on the selected route, not by the unit but by the installed map data, which on Garmin devices I choose.
Post #599196 5th Feb 2017 11:23am
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
^^^^^ sorry for the slight off topic, but I've had my eye on the new Garmin 276cx. I'm looking for an all in one package, where you can put in the GPS coordinates of the start of a green lane, and it will navigate there along the road network, then once you are there you can put in the GPS coordinates of the end of the greenlane, and it will route you there off road, then plonk in your home postcode and it will take you home again. Can it do this with the right mapping?
Post #599200 5th Feb 2017 11:43am
ROBBONTHEROCK

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Firenze Red
boode wrote:
If you look at the Snooper Sat Nav site they do specific ones for Caravans, Lorries etc
I have one in the Landy and you can specify the size of your vehicle
I bought mine because it came with MemoryMap built in which is excellent for off roading etc
The satellite stability is excellent - using 12 satellites to get a position - any one know where these co ordinates are ?

Click image to enlarge

Northen Norway, close to Nordkapp.

Smile

Google maps can accept Lat & longs lol

Cheers
Andy
Post #599208 5th Feb 2017 12:08pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I had a TomTom one and I have to say it was rubbish, ended up taking the unit back, though I had a devil of a job getting a refund. I could not really find any difference with the caravan satnav to my old ordinary unit. I played about with it for a few days on known routes near my home and two out of three times it planned a route that I would not even think of towing a caravan on.

I then found out that the specific satnavs for caravans are a bit of a gimmick, they use the same software as the satnavs for trucks, and the companies think there is little difference between a caravan set up and a HGV/LGV. They also find a route that is often miles longer than with ordinary satnavs.

One of the main drawbacks I found with caravan satnav planning is inclines, the mapping thinks you have a huge HGV power unit that will drag its load up any steep hill, OK with a Defender you may be OK, (however try taking a five berth caravan fully loaded up the incline on Llanrwst Rd from Colwyn bay with a Defender that is suggested by a caravan Satnav and you would see what I am saying). For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #599230 5th Feb 2017 1:53pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I would never have a tomtom ever again, rubbish system in all respects and we had the caravan/motorhome one.

Right now we run an integrated andriod set up with Copilot caravan/motorhome which is good.

If i didnt have that either the garmin or avtex one Mike
Post #599233 5th Feb 2017 2:36pm
kevin-t

@ mse

The copilot you mention. Does that have an app?
Looking for something to run from iPad.
Cheers.
Post #599237 5th Feb 2017 2:52pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Hi

Yes it is an app...ios and andriod Thumbs Up
https://copilotgps.com/ Mike
Post #599250 5th Feb 2017 3:29pm
kevin-t

Got it Mike.

Thumbs Up