↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Satnav for caravaners
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
If you are a member of the Caravan Club have a look on the web site or the club magazine they often have offers on price for satnavs . Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #599254 5th Feb 2017 3:45pm
trooper

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tamar Blue
Hi gabe3105

By using the Ordinance Survey mapping load on the GPSMAP 276Cx and provided the green lane is recognised as such, you can. Alternatively, and in opinion better, would be to pre plan your green lane route, using Garmin,s Basecamp then down loading this to your GPS, and using normal road mapping, City Navigator.
Post #599297 5th Feb 2017 6:18pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Thanks Thumbs Up
I'll download Basecamp and have a little play using greenlane coordinates taken from LRM
Post #599333 5th Feb 2017 7:47pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
The TomTom I currently have I have no problems with?

Wife uses the old one we replaced it with and has been fine also? Map updates no problem just have the TomTom software installed on my laptop, plug it in and away it goes. It can take an hour or so sometimes but don't do it that often and no hardship if just plugged in.

Funny as a lot of praise for Garmin and I did try one before this TomTom and hated it... Just didn't seem to work well although it had nice 3D pictures... Funny as I use a Garmin GPS on my push bike and that's ace.

I'm happy with the TomTom and for £150 its been great much better than the Mercedes Sat nav I had built in (around £1500) and my dads previous Range Rover built in unit...

I guess they have all come on a bit now ours must be 18 months to 2 years old but happy with it Thumbs Up
Post #599340 5th Feb 2017 7:57pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
We had three Tom toms, what with poor routing, rubbish hardware, limited satellite locks etc we won't have another. I know a few people to have experience the same Mike
Post #599406 5th Feb 2017 10:04pm
keef9t

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Thanks for the input, some interesting info. I find myself leaning towards a Garmin based unit. Am I right in thinking Avtex and Snooper units are Garmin that have been tweeked .
Post #599739 6th Feb 2017 11:24pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have a Garmin Camper 760 - which is fine but filled a large part of the windscreen being quite a large 7" unit. I have recently started using apps on my 5" Android phone - a Sony Z3 - instead. It does have a number of nice advantages over a dedicated satnav apart from not filling the windscreen... So far it has been the best use of my smartphone so far and probably justifies the cost just using it as a as a top-notch satnav...

- You can use Google maps for navigation in offline mode (just download the maps beforehand - very easy) and you can create pre-defined routes and save them as shortcuts on the home screen - so you can research a route beforehand using things like satellite view and street view and then save it for later use. Great for small campsites, the best way to approach entrances or making sure you follow Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan club directions. It is also great for looking at motorway services to find out where the caravan parking is located.

- You can also use Google maps on Android phones in car mode - called Android Auto. That now works in standalone mode without needing a dedicated head unit in the vehicle. Android Auto gives you very easy control of Google maps, phone, music, audiobooks complete with voice control.

- I also paid the £49 and have Copilot Caravan installed as well which understands weigh limits and bridge heights. I don't use it much but I have also downloaded and installed the various POI files you can get for all sorts of camp sites. Seems fairly good but I've found that I prefer Google maps instead especially with the Android Auto integration making it a fully hands-free setup.

Oh and the nice thing; you are not tied to anything. You can use Google maps, Waze, Copilot or whatever you like to work out a route and even compare one against the other to make sure. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #600246 8th Feb 2017 11:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12