↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Help to quieten a very loud 300Tdi 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
Help to quieten a very loud 300Tdi 90
My wife's 1987 90 sounds like a spitfire and it's had a fortune spent on it over the last two years of ownership trying to sort out the noise etc. The final straw came last week when I took it in to the regular garage where we have work done for a centre box (that was missing) and it came out with two thirds of a new exhaust that cost us £289 (fuming I know). My wife has had her work done there for years and I myself spent over £4.5k there on my Discovery in two years before I snapped and sold it and bought a Mercedes (better comfort and much more reliable lol).

Anyway, I took it elsewhere this morning for an MOT and it flew through without a single advisory fair play. I asked the guy (who I know anyway) how we could quieten it down and he told me to put a Disco centre and back box on and to get the 300Tdi engine chipped in a place two towns over and we'll see a massive improvement in both sound and drive. Does that sound right to you guys? He told me if I got the disco boxes he'd fit them and he quoted me a price that he's hardly making a bean so it's not all about the money with him. I'm hesitant to go back to the other garage after spending a fortune there over the last 3 or 4 years and always being left until the last job of the day, despite dropping the vehicle off on a pre arranged day a week in advance and before they even open themselves. If the Disco boxes are the right way to go I assume i'd buy them for a 300Tdi? I'm sorry to ask dumb questions but i'm not mechanically minded sadly as while my brothers tinkered in the garage with engines etc I wasted my life on bloody computers.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice chaps, it's always appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #596676 27th Jan 2017 11:41am
g-mack

United Kingdom 
is it the exhaust that is noisy? also presume when he says "chipped" he probably means tweaking fuel pump, as 300tdi isn't computer controlled My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #596686 27th Jan 2017 12:09pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
An '87 90 would not have had a 300 TDi orginally. So when was it fitted and how was the exhaust run then.

Is the noise problem one of when you are outside it or inside driving?
The standard 90 exhaust is not too bad. However the engine noise is pretty loud on the TDi. Is there any sound reduction in place on the timing cover or under the bonnet?
Have you any sound proofing in the rest of the vehicle. The flat panels do like to resonate. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #596689 27th Jan 2017 12:16pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Do you know what year your 300tdi engine is? I ask because if it's pre-'97 then there isn't anything to 'chip' as it's an entirely mechanical system. A rudimentary electronic management system was introduced in '97 that can be tinkered with although those offering the service seem to be few and far between these days. Regardless though, I can't see how it would make it any quieter Confused

To be honest, unless you think there's something physically wrong with it (and a fresh MOT suggests not), then normal operating noise can be relatively easily reduced by soundproofing the interior. There are lots of threads about it on here and a quick search for Dynamat or Silentcoat will bring up lots of entries.

I'm not sure about fitting bits of Discovery exhaust. I guess it may help but it's not a modification I've heard of before. If my 200tdi is anything to go by though, the biggest sources of noise are the engine itself and road noise, both of which can be reduced by soundproofing as mentioned. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #596690 27th Jan 2017 12:16pm
chrispy

g-mack wrote:
is it the exhaust that is noisy? also presume when he says "chipped" he probably means tweaking fuel pump, as 300tdi isn't computer controlled

Exhaust and engine is noisy and he did mean tweaking yes Thumbs Up

Ramsay wrote:
An '87 90 would not have had a 300 TDi orginally. So when was it fitted and how was the exhaust run then.

Is the noise problem one of when you are outside it or inside driving?
The standard 90 exhaust is not too bad. However the engine noise is pretty loud on the TDi. Is there any sound reduction in place on the timing cover or under the bonnet?
Have you any sound proofing in the rest of the vehicle. The flat panels do like to resonate.

It's noisy inside and out but not as bad inside as outside. A mate has a 300Tdi and his drives past my house and I can hardly hear it, my wifes sounds like a tractor. I've fitted a silver padded panel under the bonnet to reduce sound but it's still noisy and the rest of the vehicle has all been soundproofed. The roof with a thick insulating sponge and the rest with those flat silver panels.

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Do you know what year your 300tdi engine is? I ask because if it's pre-'97 then there isn't anything to 'chip' as it's an entirely mechanical system. A rudimentary electronic management system was introduced in '97 that can be tinkered with although those offering the service seem to be few and far between these days. Regardless though, I can't see how it would make it any quieter Confused

To be honest, unless you think there's something physically wrong with it (and a fresh MOT suggests not), then normal operating noise can be relatively easily reduced by soundproofing the interior. There are lots of threads about it on here and a quick search for Dynamat or Silentcoat will bring up lots of entries.

I'm not sure about fitting bits of Discovery exhaust. I guess it may help but it's not a modification I've heard of before. If my 200tdi is anything to go by though, the biggest sources of noise are the engine itself and road noise, both of which can be reduced by soundproofing as mentioned.

It's a mid 90's 300Tdi I believe not long before the switch to the Td5. The engine runs sweet as a nut (albeit it gets a little hot if left to tick over for too long). We had the timing checked recently and it was adjusted as it was one (point/mark whatever) out of the correct alignment and that helped a little as well as fuel consumption. I found out today that the downpipe from the manifold that was (and is) on there is a Disco one and the rest they put in was a Defender. I just want to get it quiet both outside and in if possible.

A mechanic told me a bigger intercooler would make it quieter but the guy from Allisports said that's rubbish, it wouldn't make any noticeable difference.
Post #596709 27th Jan 2017 1:36pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
My 300tdi runs a normal defender manifold, a straight through mid section and a normal tail pipe and that isn't loud I wouldn't of said.

For the engine check your tappets (0.008 in) as they can lead to noisy running, I purchased a standard 300tdi engine cover off eBay for 15/20£ And it made a noticeable difference in the noise. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #596715 27th Jan 2017 1:51pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
First things first,

Check for any leaks in the exhaust system.
Check the timing is correct
Check tappet clearences

Assuming the engine is running well and has no obvious leaks then you can start looking for other things.

There is no ecu to tweek and its pointless tweaking an engine which may have issues. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #596723 27th Jan 2017 2:18pm
chrispy

Mash wrote:
My 300tdi runs a normal defender manifold, a straight through mid section and a normal tail pipe and that isn't loud I wouldn't of said.

For the engine check your tappets (0.008 in) as they can lead to noisy running, I purchased a standard 300tdi engine cover off eBay for 15/20£ And it made a noticeable difference in the noise.

Will do my friend. It's booked in next Wednesday to have the new SVX wiring loom I had installed previously in the last place done right so the sidelights come on without the main lamps so i'll get the new guy to check that while it's in Thumbs Up

shaggydog wrote:
First things first,

Check for any leaks in the exhaust system.
Check the timing is correct
Check tappet clearences

Assuming the engine is running well and has no obvious leaks then you can start looking for other things.

There is no ecu to tweek and its pointless tweaking an engine which may have issues.

No leaks in the exhaust and I know the timing is correct as it was done less than 6 weeks ago so i'll do as you and Mash suggested and get the tappets checked. How is your restoration going by the way? I need to check up on your post.

Many thanks everyone Thumbs Up
Post #596726 27th Jan 2017 2:33pm
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
When you say it sounds like a tractor - if you're running a straight pipe and no silencer then it's going to be that way. I just had a full stainless straight through system on mine but its a bit of an off road machine and it's great for me. The engine itself isn't particularly loud and the main volume certainly comes from the exhaust.

Have you been up to date on all your oil changes etc?
Post #596940 28th Jan 2017 1:44pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
wish mine sounded like a v12 spitfire!! Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #596947 28th Jan 2017 2:08pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Yea so do I Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #596948 28th Jan 2017 2:13pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Have you checked the obvious and the engine, gearbox and exhaist mounts are in good nick? Im guessing these should have been picked up by the MoT. The other thing is is the exhaust hitting something and vibrating away? Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #597004 28th Jan 2017 5:04pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
+1 for exhaust clearance. I popped my straight through back on after my trip to scotland and didn't check the alignment and just tightened it up. When I started it the noise volume was incredible! Slackened the bolts and aligned so it would clear everything. Quiet as a mouse (well as rather angry mouse) Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #597007 28th Jan 2017 5:11pm
chrispy

The exhaust is sound (both centre and rear box) as are the mounts and oils everything, I spare no expense on this as it's my wifes vehicle. When it went in for the MOT the tester said he's never seen a vehicle as old as this (30 years old this year) in such excellent condition. The engine is sound and was very low mileage when purchased (80k odd and has only done just shy of 100k now). I'm really at a loss, the only thing left to check I believe are the tappets which will be done next Wednesday when it's in to have the SVX wiring loom corrected from the last garage who installed it wrong so the sidelights only come on with the main headlights.
Post #597050 28th Jan 2017 7:47pm
chrispy

The tappets were fine, apparently it turns out it was a dodgy injector causing all the noise. It's being done today so hopefully we'll have a much quieter 90 this evening. I've questioned it's sluggishness before but was told that's just how they are but with this injector sorted will that improve things performance wise?
Post #598516 2nd Feb 2017 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>