↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Series Land Rovers > Seat belts in the rear what have you done?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Seat belts in the rear what have you done?
Hello

The rear of the Series I will soon take ownership of has no seat belts..

It has 4 individual drop down seats, all I can fit I guess are lap belts? this is fine as better than nothing and my wifes wants something in their.

I have been it touch with exmoor and they offer an 4 POINT INERTIA for £57

Then I've had a quick look on ebay ( Shocked Shocked ) and found these 3 point ones?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-SERIE...SwTZ1XmMVA

What have other people done?

Thanks
Post #595866 24th Jan 2017 1:21pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
I have nothing in mine so can't really advise but do make sure that whatever you install is being anchored to something appropriate.
Post #595943 24th Jan 2017 6:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I don't think three point belts are suitable for side facing seats. I did see a picture on here recently where somebody had fitted four point belts, which looked very good. I don't know how much of a faff they would be for different size children though, or where they were mounted to.

For decades, the standard fit in Land Rovers were lap belts, right up to the law change that effectively banned side facing seats and the introduction of the Puma.

What may be suitable for you does depend, to a certain extent, on the age of your children. Side facing seats are not suitable for use with any car seats and I'd never carry small children in mine that would normally use one. My kids are older now though, and I'm happy for them to use the standard fit lap belts. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Jan 2017 9:37pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #595946 24th Jan 2017 6:35pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
One of the reasons I bought the 90 Puma SW instead of a very low mileage 90 TD5 SW was because of the rear seat configuration. I sometimes have my Grandchildren with me and I would not have taken them out in sideways facing rear seats which the TD5 had.
Post #595956 24th Jan 2017 6:54pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Thanks,

So the children 6 and 9 will be better in the Front ? (allowed in the front) even if I fit belts in the rear? (retractable lap belts)

I'm confused... poor picture but currently the back has 4 side ways seats and NO belts

Click image to enlarge
Post #596128 25th Jan 2017 12:24pm
LandRoverAnorak

With children of that age, you really are stuck. Children under twelve or 135cm tall must use a car seat but there are no car seats available that are suitable for side facing seats. The only way they can therefore legally travel is in car seats in the front, which will be a real challenge in terms of space.

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rul...oster-seat

There are exemptions to using a car seat, but they are for specific circumstances around unfamiliar vehicles (taxi's, mini buses, etc.)

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rul...a-car-seat

The fact that the vehicle currently has no seat belts is perfectly legal as it was built that way, but that doesn't alter the children and car seat requirements. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #596155 25th Jan 2017 2:17pm
stigomery

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
I too wouldn't have my kids in the back using side facing seats except on very short, local journeys. I can fit them both (6&9) in the front, one using a full sized child seat and the other a simple booster seat in the middle. Again, I would not do long trips just on a lap belt in the front which is why I have retro-fitted forward facing seats in the rear of the Td5.
Post #596163 25th Jan 2017 2:42pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Its a 40 year old car that will only ever be used on short journeys I think less than 20 miles Smile and minor roads

However I still need to fit them in and be relatively safe. So was going to put inertia seat belts in the rear? but they are not allowed in the rear...

Can I fit forward facing seats? aargghhh what have you done in yours?

If they are ok in the front then I'm ok with that... wife in the back Smile however I think the law on those little booster seats is changing also...

All very confusing
Post #596165 25th Jan 2017 2:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

I'm not sure why it's confusing Confused The rules on child car seats are pretty straightforward, IMO.

The fact that it's an old car and will only be used for short journeys is, of course, irrelevant in the eyes of the law.

You can fit forward facing seats - Exmoor Trim do some very nice ones, albeit at a cost. I'd recommend keeping hold of the originals though, as in the future originality is going to be key to the value of these vehicles. Darren

Post #596167 25th Jan 2017 3:02pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Ok sorry me probably making it harder than it is,

I can have children in front as long as in child seat or booster unless over 135cm then they are ok in a normal seat with belt.

Its the rear I don't understand, Can I fit seatbelts and put them in the back? as they are side facing not forward facing like my defender.

Thanks
Post #596186 25th Jan 2017 4:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

No, unless they are of an age or size where they don't require car seats. The problem you have is that you can't fit car seats to side facing seats, even if they had seat belts.

Once they are past the car seat age, they can sit in the back even without seat belts, as the vehicle was originally built that way. Whether you are comfortable with that for your intended usage is then up to you. Darren

Post #596190 25th Jan 2017 4:49pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ I need to measure them tonight

Hopefully they are over 135 cm and can both go in the back (with seat belts albeit a lap belt)

I think my eldest will be, so she can go in the font I guess.

If the little lad is under 135cm where can he sit just in the front with a booster (car seat) then when he's bigger he too could go in the back?

Sorry... so many questions

Oh the exmoor seats look good (and maybe an option) £499 for 2 with belts though
Post #596191 25th Jan 2017 4:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yes he can. However, looking at your picture again I've just realised that the front seats are also original and don't have any head restraint. If you put a child in a booster in one of those, they'll be so high that they won't have any meaningful back rest. Apart from the impracticality of it, that'd be really dangerous. He'd need a full sized child car seat with proper head restraint.

My kids (twins) were both about nine when they reached the height to no longer need car seats. I'd be very surprised if your six year old is close yet. Darren

Post #596223 25th Jan 2017 8:14pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Your right

Child 1 is over 135 cm so ok in front and back

Child 2 is 120 cm so only so will need a child seat and can only go in front.
Post #596225 25th Jan 2017 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1