↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > New Owner and first breakdown :D
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Your fuel pump sounds noisy, like there is air in the fuel system which has not purged out. Has it always made the same noise or is it only since you've disturbed things?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #596613 27th Jan 2017 12:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I had similar problems - engine was running badly and not smooth, with Nanocom I get fault codes like Injector 3 open circuit and the injector timing was like +30. The only real problem was in connector for injector on the head loom. There are tiny and used for quite large current (aprox 50A) for controlling the injectors. Some pins came loose and lost good contact. Solution was simple - remove the loom, remove the individual pins from connector bodies, press the a bit, replace 2 o-rings on the big connector, place all back. No problems for last 5 years.
Last weekend I made the same in field on my friends D2 - he had replaced the loom for a new one one year ago. So new loom cam be solution but not for long time.
And for purging - in some TD5 I had to drive at least half an hour to purge the system completely. Idling the engine was not enough. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #596635 27th Jan 2017 7:25am
Cactus79

United Kingdom 
I'm not sure that I had left the pump running on its purge cycle long enough in that video. I have subsequently run 2 full purges and it does seem quieter but I'll do another video later as being new to TD5's I don't know what normal is yet. (Hoping for less fixing and more modding mind)

Will check the injector again for its connections and for any cracks in the head as I don't fully understand if the injector is putting more fuel in because there is something else wrong like an air leak or problems in the engine loom or just a dodgy injector.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Post #596640 27th Jan 2017 7:54am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
First think for good run of TD5 is perfect electrical connection between engine ECU and injectors. Injectors are controlled from ECU by pulse voltage - something like 90V and 50A - so any bad connection means not proper injector control. Check all connector between ECU and injectors - description with details is in RAVE. Fault in TD5 injector is uncommon, electrical fault in wiring on of TD5 standard problems, masked by oil in loom. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #596647 27th Jan 2017 8:37am
Cactus79

United Kingdom 
Replaced injector, recoded the ecu.

Fired it up and were back on 5 cylinders but it's still smoking it's bag off.

Engine feels fine, turbo pickup is good, injector balance is within tolerance, but still very much a diesel stinging smoke.

Time for a brew.
Post #596704 27th Jan 2017 11:50am
Cactus79

United Kingdom 
So,

Had all the injectors back out, looks like number 4 had an issue sealing due to carbon deposits.

Cleaned each bore and made sure each injector was as clean as can be and put everything back.

Car still smoked, took it down the road and still smoking.

Took fuel filter off as i've bought a service kit for the Defender. Checked the valve from the fuel filter housing which all looked fine, didn't fully pull the valve out of the casing mind.

Put new Mahle filter back on, primed the system and started it up and NO smoke. Bow down

Been down the road again but losing too much light but very little smoke on acceleration in peoples headlights.

Not convinced it's fully fixed but probably because i don't understand why, best guess blockage in the fuel filter or valve which increases the return pressure or am i just going mad?
Post #596795 27th Jan 2017 5:36pm
Cactus79

United Kingdom 
So started the car this morning and it was a little smokey but miles better. Ran a purge on the fuel system, not much change. Went to take it down the road to find the clutch wouldn't engage.

So bonnet up, axle stands out, clutch bled obviously hasn't been done in ages given the colour. Changed the oil, sump plug has been mullered and put on with an impact hammer given how much effort it took to take off. Swore lots of times about Landys but once started Dougal behaved.

Took down the road to check it over and the smile in 3rd gear is intoxicating, remembered why we bought it in the first place.

Changed the radio over to an eBay special to find someone failed to wire the previous unit in correctly, fixed the wiring and remembered to put the viscous fan back on and check the oil again.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get back onto the bathroom which has been on hold for a few weekends.
Post #597074 28th Jan 2017 7:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12