↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > VCV + BAS - found the missing horses AND it sounds better
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
VCV + BAS - found the missing horses AND it sounds better
Symptoms:

- idle hunting (and on rare occasions simply stopping out of the blue)
- knocking noise when warm (ok when cold, worse when warmed up, unusual but...)
- hard to start after a stall
- missing horses under load
- no fault codes

It was the knocking that finally got to me.

Anyhoo, of all the things to look at that I hadn't done already (new diesel filter and tank inspection being about it), VCV looked the next easiest. Not the cheapest, but compared to all other major engine parts it costs peanuts.

As per other reports, it is a right pain in the rear to both uninstall and get back in, process includes:

- blood
- socket adaptors on extensions on extension on universals on extentions (not kidding)
- BAS RR2 remote diagnostic tool with both VCV learn and pilot correction programming functions.

The BAS tool is required to allow the ECU to learn the characteristics of the new VCV and it's relation to pilot injection timing. This, in my opinion, is what really solved the knocking issue and without it I would have had to resort to the local dealer mechanics as the independents either: charge just as much, or wont do the puma electronics (but are great for transmission etc.). I'd hazard a guess with the dealer mechanics prices that the BAS remap has actually paid for itself in this regard.

To complete the work you has to go back to the standard map for a period and I did this for a day just to see what I was 'missing'.

The standard map compared to the remap ... hrrrm, ok, the standard map it's like driving with an accelerator made out of marshmallow.

Remap again and 'Ohh, that's right - TORQUE' - you can really feel it.

No real question, just chucking this out there for the info, I know I wouldn't have known about the VCV without either Blackwolf or BAS Pete talking about online already. Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #594635 20th Jan 2017 7:41am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have this job on my outstanding list. Had the new VCV sat on a shelf for ages. I've finallly found a mechanic who has the tool to do a pump learn, so I'll get this done soon.

Do I need to tell him to do the injector pilot correction learn thingy too? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #594644 20th Jan 2017 8:28am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Well I'm hardly a qualified LR mechanic but yes all infos I've read so far indicate these processes usually come as a pair.

The mechanic probably knows there job but some extra info is that the engine coolant level has to be between 80 and 75deg - i.e. you've got to let it cool down a bit after a drive and then get to it quickly (if it's cold like it is up your way). Hopefully they can 'probe' this with whatever diagnostic they have.

The VCV 'learn' is quite dull but short, the pilot learn is more interesting, the ECU takes control of your car for a minute or two and revs it, seems to be trying to find a nice set of results from certain test inputs. You'll have looks on the street if you DIY Laughing

Meanwhile, I'd seriously compare the mechanics quote with the cost of a BAS remap... (and no I'm not employed by them, just a happy customer Wink ) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #594655 20th Jan 2017 9:31am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The mechanic has never done it before, we plugged his diag tool in to check it had the option to do it, but we'll be figuring it out together. Hence he isn't charging much. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #594657 20th Jan 2017 9:36am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Sounds like a good situation, I like it when they're happy for you to stick around Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #594658 20th Jan 2017 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1