↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Alarm siren sounds for a second when starting engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ParabolicSwivel

Alarm siren sounds for a second when starting engine
Evening.

My 2.2 has developed a rather annoying habit of sounding the alarm siren when I start the engine. It's just the siren and not the horn which goes off as well when the alarm is triggered for real. It doesn't always do it - usually just when I'm leaving home at 4 in the morning (to my wife and neighbours' delight) but not every time and occasionally other times too. Used to do it once of twice a year (started doing it on rare occasions probably 3 years ago and I assumed 'they all do that') but this winter it's much more regular.

It only seems to sound during the time the engine in cranking.

I was thinking that the obvious answer is the battery on its way out, but that seems perfectly strong - the engine cranks normally and fires up instantly, voltages look OK. Also I've never heard of this happening to anyone else and surely if this is normal behaviour for a dying battery it must be fairly common...

Anyone got any suggestions? Should I just replace the battery and hope it solves the issue?

Failing that I may have to resort to disconnecting the siren somehow.

Cheers
Post #593934 17th Jan 2017 9:37pm
Rup90

United Kingdom 
Mine does it occasionally until I charge with ctek charger then it's fine. Something to do with voltage drop when starting making alarm think it is under attack. Try charging it first - if that does not work will probably be new battery.
Post #593944 17th Jan 2017 9:57pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Mine did it too during the recent cold snap.

Came to the same conclusion as you - presumably voltage drop due to cranking frozen engine enough to cut all power to alarm circuits triggers alarm battery back-up sounding??

Also got a notification from Skytag that my battery had been disconnected every time car started from very cold.
Post #593945 17th Jan 2017 9:57pm
Romadog

Defo slack battery Thumbs Up
Post #593949 17th Jan 2017 10:05pm
McGeordie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Montalcino Red
Mine too..sometimes when its not been used much, and parked up for a week or so, seems to spin over fine..but I get the same issue, alarm, siren sounds for a second or so. Seems to be worse if its been cold and wet, or maybe its just because it always seems to be cold and wet where I live... Sold Def 90 HT 2010...Stornaway..(SOLD in Oct 2014)
Current: delivered October 2014:- 110 USW XS.....Montalcino Red
Post #593985 17th Jan 2017 11:29pm
ParabolicSwivel

OK, thanks, will try charging at the weekend and seeing if that stops, to confirm the issue, but I guess it will most likely need a new battery then.

Shame as I will have to break the habit of a lifetime of only changing the battery when it gets so bad it doesn't hold enough charge to crank the engine. I feel somewhat cheated as I feel there's a lot of useful life left in there. I wonder if the trusty old 10AS alarm just isn't so well matched to modern battery/starter characteristics.

Next obvious question is: Anyone got any recommendations as to a more robust battery than the original?
Very Happy
Post #593986 17th Jan 2017 11:30pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Mine is the same. it's the battery. If I use it daily it doesn't happen.
Its worse when its cold though. Thumbs Up
Post #593987 17th Jan 2017 11:32pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
yeah it's your battery. The alarm must have a bbus sounder (Battery back up sounder)
it's job is to go off if power drop is detected as it would be if the car was attacked and power to the alarm cut.

It happens when you change the battery.

You might be able to stop it short term if you turn the key to position 2 then turn it off again and straight back to position 2. The sounder will blip as it's in service mode so the battery can be removed without it sounding.
You should then be able to start It without the alarm going off till you can get a new battery 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #593988 17th Jan 2017 11:40pm
Organic

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Ours was doing the same. Triggering the skytag too.

A good run out during the Christmas break combined with the milder weather appears to have stopped it.
Post #594103 18th Jan 2017 2:58pm
K.M

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Mine does this on almost every crank but I have a battery isolator fitted to the car and I have (incorrectly) used 25mm2 battery cables rather than the 35mm2 so I'm hoping that once that's being replaced, it will stop. When I've had the isolator disconnected, I've never had it go off... yet!
Post #594307 19th Jan 2017 9:12am
ParabolicSwivel

I tried the ignition on-off-on thing on the last 2 journeys and didn't hear the siren, though I didn't hear the blip either. Quite hopeful about this so I'll keep doing it and see how long I can get away without buying a new battery. 😀
Post #594920 21st Jan 2017 10:24am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Up until this afternoon, I was reading this thread purely out of curiosity. Whistle Whistle

The battery in my 2012 2.2 died today Big Cry . Original 90 AH Varta fitted new, five years ago. We´ve had minus 5 -15° the last few days, but I didn´t see any prior signs of it letting go. Drove the Landy last time on Wednesday, and all was good. No alarms sounding when starting. Nothing of the sort.

Jumped in this afternoon, and everything seemed normal. I had run the Eberbacher pre-heater for a 20 minutes beforehand (as on most cold days in winter) and it was still running when I climbed in. Everything lit up as normal when turning the ignition on, but upon turning to start, justing clicking and flackering lights without turning the motor at all.

Tried a rolling start (we live up on a hill), and then tried jump starting off another vehicle. No chance.

After towing the Landy back up the hill Embarassed Embarassed I put a voltmeter across the battery,and it read 11.6 Volts, and went downhill quickly once loaded up. The CTek charger wouldn´t even switch into charge mode.
I´ve experienced a few dead batteries over the years, but never seen one collapse so quickly and completely.

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #595410 22nd Jan 2017 8:50pm
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Yep, battery needs a charge. Mine used to do this (from new) all the time if I let the car sit for a couple of days. Battery was checked and confirmed OK by LR. Since I've fitted dual Optima's it's been fine.

On a recent overland trip the group leader had this happen every single time he started his Landy. Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #596306 25th Jan 2017 11:50pm
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
Bing search and this forum are my friends. Was just about to ask this question, as I've had a dead BBUS for a couple of years. Got round to replacing it, and I get the BBUS alarm going off for about a second every time I start the engine. Will try charcging/replacing the battery.

Following the part number history of the BBUS is like watching Countdown, It's been through about 6 or 7 numbers.

My Td5 (MY2001) had original part number YWK100130, but this has been superseded through several numbers to LR044570.

Bought from Duckworth parts, forum sponsor, and relocated it when I was replalcing it.
Post #727190 4th Sep 2018 9:54pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
Mines just developed this annoying habit, the battery isn’t a year old.. Yawn

I will give it a good charge tonight.
Post #891061 13th Mar 2021 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>