↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 Injector Removal Process - replace fuel lines?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
2.4 Injector Removal Process - replace fuel lines?
Hello all,

Finally found the relevant section in the WSM regarding injector removal - pages 497 through 500. It's prompted a few questions stemming from the fact that from other work I've found LR to be quite cautious and suggest replacing parts and/or saying they're non serviceable - however, in a few cases I've successfully 'serviced' them and hey ho, we're good to go (and continue to be fine since... brake caliper overhaul cough cough)

So when it comes to injectors LR state that the fuel lines must be discarded - parts 5, 6, 7 and 8 here:

Click image to enlarge

What can happen if I don't?

They also mention O-ring seals that are to be replaced - but it's not immediately clear where these O-rings are? They're not on the parts diagram above.

I will certainly replace the torque to yield bolts and the injector copper seals as I can see the purpose of this (items 13 and 14 above respectively) - however, the purpose of replacing other parts mentioned above I don't understand (yet).

Interested in any war stories re. injector removal and reinstallation.

Ta much in advance for your wisdom! Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #593481 16th Jan 2017 11:39am
WhathaveIdone!

Russia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
I read around a bit and came to the conclusion that I would reuse the fuel lines. I did get a set of genuine ford fuel line protective caps and made every effort to keep things clean and everything still seems to work after almost a year now. As I took the lines off I installed the caps and bagged everything up in zip lock bags, including the injectors. Obviously cleanliness is critical, but also protecting the sealing faces from scratches or dings.

I didn't have too many problems pulling the injectors - two came out easily and the other two were more difficult but I was able to lever them out with a paracord sling wound under the strongest part of the injector, a 2x4 for levering off the AC compressor mount and a bit of a shoogle. The injectors themselves should probably be replaced, but decided not to do them at this time - there was some mild deformation of the injector tips. I didn't try cleaning anywhere near the tip as if I have understood correctly the risk of plugging the microscopic holes is too high.

My injector seats were in poor condition and had been eroded by the blowing gases, so I cut them back to get a smooth surface. One of them in particular had an imprint of the hex shape from the bottom of the injector where it had been hammering. The copper washers were deformed and driven up around the base of the injector and one was left in the injector seat.

Was all a bit time consuming - access is rubbish as it is right in the centre of the engine bay - you have to spreadeagle on top to see down the injector wells and I was doing it outside in -20C.

Reinstallation went ok - tried to approximately follow the torque recommendations for the fuel lines by using a known length wrench and a scale just to get a feel for it but I wasn't too fussy. Haven't had any leaks yet.

If you do pull the injectors it is worth checking the injector wells for remnants of copper washers and damage to the seat. Depending on how long the problem has been developing you may have some work to do. I also saw a recommendation somewhere to use a clean sheet of paper placed on top of the injector lines to check for small leaks after reinstallation - waving your hand around when you have diesel leaking from a high pressure system is obviously a no-no.

Pic of the worst injector seat and injector tip in link here

Best of luck!
Post #593498 16th Jan 2017 1:25pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I've done a few, and my own reusing old fuel lines, if you want to get new ones for peice of mind then do so.
Just don't over tighten them, that's when your problems start by introducing small particles of swarf into the fuel rail.

Replace the green O rings on the injector leak off caps, they harden with age,
Get genuine ones, either Ford dealer or LR, I have yet to find an aftermarket O ring which is exactly the same size.
The leak off pipes come off by pulling the little slide to one side, then pulling them up and off, you will then see the O ring.
Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #593514 16th Jan 2017 2:25pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Good info. Thumbs Up

Thanks gents.

Do you have a part # for those O-rings by any chance?

I'm still in two minds about DIY, but I can always give the parts to a mechanic if I decide to go down that route.. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #593559 16th Jan 2017 7:00pm
ian series 1

Not to hand, sorry.
Universal part for the TDCI engine though,
So Peugeot, Ford, LR all the same. Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #593588 16th Jan 2017 8:25pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
All good, just that it isn't on the diagram above, so I'm not sure where to start looking for it..

Aside from fuel injection, what system would it belong to?

I'll try some transit forums in the meantime Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Last edited by agentmulder on 17th Jan 2017 5:12am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #593601 16th Jan 2017 8:55pm
ian series 1

You need the diagram for the plastic leak off pipe work.
If you look closely at the tops of the injectors, you will see the 2 pin plug on the side,
The leak off pipes push directly in the top of the injector, this is where you will find where the O rings live.. Wink 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #593650 16th Jan 2017 10:08pm
Rickydodah

I'm not entirely sure whether this would help

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Back-Leak-Of...6016.l4276 I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #593687 16th Jan 2017 11:41pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
So on closer inspection I think the o-rings are in the picture above, but are only included in the assembly item '2' (LR005749):

How did you source them individually? Via Ford?

The ones in the ebay picture look promising, but I need to open the rocker cover to compare:

Click image to enlarge

As they are the complete connector it makes me wonder that instead of disconnecting the connector to expose the o-ring, why not just disconnect via the pipe of the current connector, which you'd have to do anyway if you wanted to install the ones from ebay...

It's done 65,000mi, imagine I didn't replace them, and had an issue - what would it be, worst case? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #593733 17th Jan 2017 5:29am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Meanwhile, I've had a think about the high pressure fuel lines, Ian's comment re. swarf makes me think that maybe the unions are designed to work a little like copper washers, but instead of the washer conforming/comprissing it's more like the threads are?

In that case I can see how they would be single use...

Maybe my theory is off though ? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #593734 17th Jan 2017 5:32am
ian series 1

O rings are available as separate parts from Ford.
Not sure how a LR dealer will sell them?

Regarding the swarf issue, I have had one line that the threads "picked up" when assembling,
Go gentle with them make sure you start them by hand and they screw on easily and freely, sometimes they go tight within a few turns..

I think this one case I had was just unlucky?
It was on a second hand TDCI engine used as a replacement, and I know for a fact that they had been on and off a few times.

If needed get the whole leak off assembly, the pipes are small and hard, which makes replacing them difficult.
The plastic caps are delicate and won't take much to break. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #593745 17th Jan 2017 8:19am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
^^

I imagine they'd sell them like any other FoMoCo part and label it 'Land Rover Genuine' and sell it at twice the price...

Looks like the Ford part number for the o-rings might be '1348625' - their description is "'FUEL RETURN O-RING INJECTOR SEAL TRANSIT MK7 2.2 2.4 TDCi 2006/14" - and they are little green jobbies Thumbs Up

Searching for the fuel lines now too Wink Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #593747 17th Jan 2017 8:22am
ian series 1

That's the ones Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #593754 17th Jan 2017 9:03am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
So the green o-rings are the injector seals?

Do you also happen to have the part number for the copper washer?

It's just one copper washer and one injector seal per injector, ja?
Post #665946 21st Nov 2017 10:20am
ian series 1

No,
They are the seals for the leak off pipes on top of the injectors.

See where they would sit in the top of injector.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Post #665947 21st Nov 2017 10:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>