↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > DAB head unit advice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
DAB head unit advice.
Good Evening,
After a little bit of advice please, at Peterborough LR show I purchased a Alpine PWE S8 compact subwoofer not even thought about fitting it until I saw mud uk now sell a under cubby sub box which I bought along with some focal tweeters.
Today I started the install, I had to do abit of modifying as I have a tachograph installed in the cubby.
I came to wiring up the sub to the radio and I found that at my radio does not have the phono connections on the rear.
So being an older head unit (I've had the 90 for 8 years) I think it's time for an upgrade.
I currently have 6x9's in the rear and upgraded front speakers but standard size. And as said I'm fitting a compact sub and tweeters.
I like the idea of DAB to futureproof it and must have a CD slot and a 3.5mm aux. What are your recommendations ? Budget is around £150 for a head unit.
Also I was going to use an adapter to use my original aerial as the DAB and analogue one. What are people's experiences with this set up?
Kind Regards
Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #593141 15th Jan 2017 12:57am
robtd590

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Hi,

I have a Pioneer DEH 4700 DAB head unit in my td5 Defender with a stick on glass DAB Ariel.
It has CD slot, front AUX socket and USB
No Bluetooth but that didn't bother me as I already had a parrot hands free kit fitted.
Can't remember what I paid for it I but think they are around the £100 mark now.

Cheers
Post #593388 15th Jan 2017 10:56pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks for the Rob, Bluetooth isn't a must for me as I do have a parrot fitted. I will look it up!
How do you find the signal with the stick on aerial?

Kind Regards

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #593670 16th Jan 2017 11:07pm
robtd590

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
I have had the unit and stick on window DAB Ariel (Ariel come with the unit) but I think they are about £20 usually,
just over 2 years now and have found the Ariel to be good but does drop out in low areas which is to be expected to a degree.

I had my Ariel stuck on one of the Alpine windows but I had my windows tinted last week so I removed it and I think I will replace the Ariel with a magnetic one from Halfords as it seems to be a good price currently at £14.99 and has good reviews.

Cheers
Post #593698 17th Jan 2017 12:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1