↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Is ATB differential dangerous?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
diduan wrote:
I was thinking of something last night: I can get an atb for the rear P38 axle together with the distance ring and then try to put it in the front rover axle first...I hope this will work. This way I can look if I like it and by how much it affects the steering. it will be great if I can still put it in the rear in case I dont like it in the front. can this work?

I have had front and rear Ashcroft ATBs fotted for over 100,000 miles. It doesn' t make any significant difference at all to the steering!

Me too, but I've not done 100k yet, much better than the 2 & 4 pin OEM diffs, and an opportunity to get the backlash sorted out. If i keep it, Ashcroft driveshafts next. Thumbs Up
Post #600868 11th Feb 2017 7:21am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
gabe3105 wrote:
This may be a silly question, but I am a bit of a mechanical dunce....

The choice for front and rear seems to be ATB diff OR fully lockable. Given that you can get a centre ATB which you can also fully lock, why can't you have front and rear ATB's with full lock capabilities?

I think its probably a matter of simplicity. The advantage of the ATB diffs in the axles is that they are fit and forget - you don't need an external air or electronic system to lock them, and in poor traction scenarios they are almost as good as a full locker. The benefit from locking the ATB fully is likely outweighed by the relative complexity and unreliability of having a remote locking mechanism. I guess its less of an issue on the centre diff, where you have a mechanical lever for the job anyway?
Post #601021 11th Feb 2017 9:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There is no reason why a torque biasing diff couldn't have a full lock in exactly the same way as an air locker, and I have often thought that such a diff would be the ultimate, I'd certainly fit them!

I suspect that the reason that no-one makes such a thing is simply down to cost and a very limited market.
Post #601065 11th Feb 2017 11:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123