↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Raised air intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gilly1969

United Kingdom 
Raised air intake
Hi everyone. I would like to fit a raised air intake to a 1987 Defender 90. The original engine has been replaced with a 200tdi from a Discovery I believe - see attached pic. When I bought it an RAI was fitted to the left hand side. When I removed the RAI to start renovating I found it was purely cosmetic - there was no air intake aperture cut into the left wing. As far as I can make out, I have wing top mounted intake on the left hand side for the heater, but I can't for the life of me see where the engine air intake is or leads to. Do I need to replace the left hand outer wing for one with a pre-cut hole and re-route the engine air intake somehow, or is the wing top intake the only intake there is? Absolute novice. Please help!

Click image to enlarge
Post #592845 13th Jan 2017 4:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
On pre-tdi Land Rovers the air intake was taken from behind the headlight and it looks like your conversion has retained that approach. To fit an RAI you'll need to either fit a new 200tdi wing with the correct hole in the side or cut one yourself and then re-route the pipework to suit. You'll also need a 200tdi air filter box, I think. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #592849 13th Jan 2017 4:35pm
charcoal

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Is there no vent on the passenger side wing? I thought that's where early ones drew air from. If not the air intake pipe could just be loose in the engine bay, the pipe after the air filter that is. As for fitting a raised air intake, if you got one like a safari snorkel then you could just cut a hole in your current wing and the snorkel body would hide it if it isn't quite perfect. You could also get a wing top raised air intake for the drivers side wing and then you don't need to cut anything. As a side note it looks like you have a 200tdi from a Defender instead of a Disco, notice the timing cover which is horizontal on a Disco and at an angle on a Defender. 1999 Land Rover Defender 110 td5 station wagon
1998 Land Rover Defender 110 County Station Wagon ~ Sold
1995 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Station Wagon ~ Sold Sad
1985 Land Rover 110 ex mod project Tithonus ~ Sold Sad
Post #592850 13th Jan 2017 4:35pm
gilly1969

United Kingdom 
Good spot on the engine type. I wouldn't have know that! There's no vent cut into the side wing and there is some corrosion to that side so I was planning to replace that wing panel anyway. Getting one with a pre-cut intake would seem to be the way forward. I just wanted to make sure that the intake pipe can be re-routed. It all looks pretty tight in there to me. Which pipe do I need to be picking up to connect to the RAI and is this the 200tdi filter housing box i need?

Click image to enlarge
Post #592866 13th Jan 2017 5:22pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Is that not a 300Tdi? Might be wrong, but this is a genuine 200Tdi Defender engine. If not a Defender 300 then I am sure its a 200Tdi Disco engine.

Click image to enlarge
 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #592877 13th Jan 2017 6:03pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
As landrover anorak said you have the early type air filter which sits behind headlight, and that's a disco 200 tdi methinks, turbo down low.. You can route from a 200 tdi wing vent but it's hard to find the pipe work/ bracket from wing to air filter, and hard to find 200 tdi air filter too!.. You might have to pay up to 100-150 quid for the lot! Easier to cut a hole in the wing and fabricate a plate with a tube to use your original filter, perhaps relocated for smoother air flow..

Cheers. Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #592881 13th Jan 2017 6:16pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Beaten to it Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #592882 13th Jan 2017 6:20pm
gilly1969

United Kingdom 
Spanner, works! I think mine is a Discovery 200tdi. This link is to another forum but I think it may clear up any/my confusion. Hope the air filter housing is correct cos I've just bought it!
Post #592885 13th Jan 2017 6:33pm
gilly1969

United Kingdom 
Post #592886 13th Jan 2017 6:36pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
What you have there is a 200tdi engine. It has a Defender 200tdi timing case and Defender/ Discovery 300tdi manifolds (low position and the air enters the turbo at the rear)
The pipework from the turbo to the intercooler must follow an interesting route to get round the alternator and power steering pump.
HTH
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #592893 13th Jan 2017 7:13pm
Mo Murphy

That air filter box is a Discovery 200tdi item, the air enters in the side and exits out of the end. Do you have any mounting furniture for it ? If not a couple of large Quick-Fists will probably do the job.
Post #592895 13th Jan 2017 7:18pm
gilly1969

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I've got Frankensteins Monster under the bonnet! Every pic I've looked to determine whether it's a 200 or 300tdi looks completely different. There's no similarity between any of em. If I can get the filter housing and the RAI to fit I'll be happy. Thanks everyone.
Post #592906 13th Jan 2017 8:02pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
If you fit a Southtown snorkel you just need to cut a hole thru your existing wing, saves fitting a new wing and you get a proper waterproof snorkel 
Post #592908 13th Jan 2017 8:09pm
Mo Murphy

No its not a Frankensteins monster, it's a Defender 200tdi with 300 manifolds 😊
It would have been better with the original manifolds but they are few and far between these days, you could have used standard exhaust parts then. They get changed when the turbo dies and it's easier to get hold of 300 bits second hand.
Where is the dip stick, I can't see it in your picture. If it's the old defender one it'll be buried under the manifolds and difficult to get to. Replace it with a Discovery variant which is longer, comes up alongside and fixes to the manifolds so you can reach it. It's more reliable as the tube doesn't slide in on the rose and give a false reading.
For best results with your set up as it is, I suggest you first remove the washer bottle and relocate it or replace it with a TD5 under wing type.
Mount your air filter box where the washer bottle was. This will keep your air pipe runs short as you need to go to the back of the turbo from the filter and you're close to the intake position on the wing.
Get a raised air intake with the moulded on air pipe spigot like the Safari copy and cut a hole for it in the passenger wing.
Connect up with some new convoluted air pipe and jubilee clips and you're in business.

HTH
Post #592921 13th Jan 2017 8:48pm
gilly1969

United Kingdom 
Hi Mo. Thanks for your reply. I'm sure plenty of other novices like myself will find your expertise really useful. I've got the replacement air filter housing arriving next week so when it arrives I'll have a look at it, scratch my head and go from there. Where do you shop for hoses and the like? Thanks again.
Post #592941 13th Jan 2017 10:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>