↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > High beam flash problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Landyash

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
High beam flash problem
Hi my defender has a very strange problem with the high beam, if you pull the stalk towards you for flash nothing happens and there is no dash light,but if you push it forward the high beam works fine and high beam light is aluminated on the dash.
I have replaced the complete stalk but still the same any ideas?
Does it use the same relay and fuse?
Thanks Ash
Post #592678 13th Jan 2017 8:15am
Highfellzippy

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've got the reverse

Flash ok but no high beam

I don't get blue dash light on constant high beam

Do you on both settings
Post #592709 13th Jan 2017 10:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Buz

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Not sure what Defender you have mine started life as a 1987 LR90!
Ive had the same issue since upgrading the headlights and fitting DRL's. I have completely rewired the headlights with separate relays for each headlight, the only common thing from old to new is the live feed for headlight and beam so i'm thinking its something to do with those.
I also have roof lights than can come on with main beam, these work when flash but not the headlights.

I read somewhere something about a dim/dip relay but not investigated it any further.
Post #592718 13th Jan 2017 11:22am
Landyash

Thanks for the reply guys,mines a 2003 TD5
does any body know if the high beam uses the same relay?
Thanks Ash
Post #593048 14th Jan 2017 6:05pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
If you have the standard Defender light set up (only the 7" lights), there just is no relay for the headlights ex factory. The only relay for headlights that Solihull installed in a Defender is for the 90mm aux driving lights for those Defenders that come from the factory with the SVX front (double headlamps). The standard 7" headlights for all Defenders run the full juice direct thru the light switch.
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #593051 14th Jan 2017 6:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
And that is exactly why either the main light switch or main beam stalk are often a culprit of trouble with contacts melting or high resistance due to poor physical contact. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #593062 14th Jan 2017 6:52pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There is an ignition-controlled relay in the supply circuit to the dip/main switch, fitted to ensure that the headlights can only be illuminated persistently with the ignition on (you can't leave the headlights on with the engine stopped). The headlamp flasher circuit has a separate supply so that the flasher works without the key being present.

If you have no flash but otherwise normal lights you need to check the power feed to the flash circuit.
Post #593069 14th Jan 2017 7:53pm
Landyash

Thanks for the replys,the headlights work fine,the high beam will not flash if pulled towards you with the headlights on or off you get nothing not even a click but if pushed forward with lights on it works
Blackwolf Do you know which wire and relay feed the high beam?
Thanks Ash...
Post #593168 15th Jan 2017 9:26am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I know at least head light end, high beam is blue with white tracer I believe Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #593185 15th Jan 2017 11:50am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Sorry for the delay in following up on this. Please note that all the following comments apply to the TDCi Defender, and although the TD5 is probably the same I haven't checked (and don't intend to).

Headlight circuits:-

The feed for the flash function comes from Fuse 3 (20A) on the BJB, so if your headlights work normally but don't flash on pulling the stalk, check this fuse.

The feed to the main switch for off/side/head comes from Link 6 (30A) on the BJB. The sidelight output from the switch then feeds CJB Fuse 18 (10A) for the NS side, tail, no. plate and instrument lights, and CJB Fuse 19 (10A) for the OS side and tail lights. This switch output also supplies other fuse(s) not shown on the sheets I have to hand, probably for the trailer socket.

The headlight outout of the switch is taken to Relay R123, which is energised by an ignition switch controlled feed from CJB Fuse 15 (5A). When energised, the relay connects the headlight output of the off/side/head switch to the dipswitch on the column. When dipped, power is fed from the dipswitch to CJB Fuse 22 (10A) for the OS dip beam, and CJB Fuse 23 (5A) for the NS dip beam. When on main, power is fed from the dipswitch to CJB Fuse 24 (10A) for the OS main beam and instrument panel warning light, and CJB Fuse 25 (10A) for the NS main beam.

Troubleshooting the headlights:-

- If you have no flash but otherwise normal headlights, the problem is likely to be BJB Fuse 3.

- If you have flash, but no dip and no main beam, the problem is most likely to be the main off/side/head switch on the column but could possibly be the headlamp relay R123.

- If you have normal dip but no main, the problem is likely to be the dip/main stalk switch on the column, but could also be simlutaneous bulb failure.

- If you have normal main and no dip, the problem is most likely to be the dip/main stalk switch on the column, but could also be simlutaneous bulb failure, or, if you have dim dip, a failure of the dim dip relay.

- If you have no flash and no main beam, consider simultaneous bulb failure.

- If you have neither flash, dip, nor main, consider simultaneous bulb failure, or theft of both headlight units!

Dim Dip (when fitted):-

Dim dip was fitted to the more "commercial" models when headlamp levelling was not fitted (you will have either levelling or dim dip,. not both), and the dim dip circuit is quite complex. If fitted, the dim dip relay interrupts the circuit from the dip beam output of the dip/main/flash stalk and connects the inputs of CJB Fuses 22 and 23 instead to a reduced-voltage supply provided from a feed taken from BJB Link 6 via a series resistor.

The dim dip relay has inputs from (a) the sidelight output of the off/side/head switch via CJB Fuse 20(10A), (b) the dim dip resistor as noted already, (c) the same ignition-energised feed that supplies the headlamp relay from CJB Fuse 15 (5A), (d) the dip beam output of the dip/main column switch, and (e) the output of the headlamp relay. There is also an earth connection.

The dim dip relay becomes active when the igition is on. When the sidelights are switched on, the dim dip relay connects the reduced-voltage input from the dim dip resistor to the dip beam output. When the dip beam is turned on, the dim dip relay switches from the reduced-voltage input to the main headlamp supply (either from the dip switch, or the one from the relay - without taking a relay apart I don't know which but operationally it matters not). On main beam the dim dip relay disconnects both of the two inputs mentioned above from the dip beam output, in order to avoid having both filaments of the bulbs illuminated simultaneously (which would seriously shorten bulb life). (Sidenote - it is because the relay has to be able to differentiate between three conditions, namely sidelights only, side and dip, or side and main, and do different things for each condition, that it has the two headlamp circuit inputs. It is also why it is such a complex relay unit).

Disabling Dim Dip (an excellent idea!):-

If you simply pull out the dim dip relay you will have no dip beam lights, alsthough main will be unaffected. The "official landrover modification" replaces the realy with a bridge wire from relay Pin 8, the input from the dip switch, to relay Pin 2, the output to the dip beam lights via CJB Fuses 22 and 23. This has the effect of disabling the dim dip circuit totally, eliminating the risk of a dim dip relay malfunction causing loss of dip beam, and is generally a good solution. The optional "relay" available from Landrover to do this is in fact not a relay at all, it is simply an exceptionally expensive relay base with a short wire connecting the two pins mentioned above!

An alternative and generally satisfactory method of killing dim dip is to unplug the series resistor under the OS wing. This means that also the relay is still trying to do its stuff, it is, when the sidelights only are on, switching the dip beam output to a disconnected (rather than reduced voltage) supply. the downside is that the relay is still operating and consequently is a potential source of failure.

Why disable dim dip? -

Apart from being a stupid idea, the main problems with dim dip are firstly that running conventional bulbs on reduced voltages has been proven greatly to reduce the life of the bulb. Secondly, if you are using the original wiring to run LED headlamps directly, or to energise relays with either normal or LED units connected (ie to upgrade to the wiring layout that LR should have installed from the factory), the LEDs or relays will not work correctly or reliably on the reduced voltage dim dip supply. Ether of the methods noted above for disabling dim dip will work in these cases.

Note that the dim dip circuitry doesn't affect main beam at all, and disabling dim dip will not and cannot affect directly any auxiliary lighting powered from the main beam circuit.

Hope this helps to demystify the headlights! Thumbs Up
Post #594147 18th Jan 2017 6:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Just read right through - T-Y BW. Thumbs Up

The part I cannot understand is why everything is working perfectly exccept the Relay for my spots triggering.
Flash works as well as everything else but does not work on latched main beam on the stalk.
It did before unplugging the dim dip.

I can't understand why I get main beam on the headlights with the stalk on latched but the Relay won't trigger.
But it will on the intermittent flash.
I'm wondering if it maybe the Relay for my spots it's self or possibly high resistance at the stalk switch.

I've got a new Relay on the way with diode. (Have without on there at the moment)
I'll just try swapping it and see what happens as well as Multimeter testing.
I'm wondering if the switch on the latched main beam stalk is causing a high resistance and causing voltage drop. Possibly not enough to noice at the headlight but enough to not activate the Relay coil correctly.
The switch contact for the intermittent flash may not have the issue hence working correctly.

I'm going to have to do some testing and check the fuses as you've suggested. (Which is very useful!)
For now as soon as I get some free time I'll take a look and see what I can work out what the exact fault is.
I think testing will be the best way to I.D. The issue. At least all except the aux circuit for my spots everything is working perfect.
It may possibly be a problem always that's always been there that has some how shown up after unplugging the dim dip.

Just need some decent weather and a little free time. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #594200 18th Jan 2017 8:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
If the spots work on flash but not on latch then it can't be the relay. They either work or don't.

Where have you taken your feed for the relay from? Is it possible that you've fed it from the output of the dim dip rather than directly from the headlight circuit? As Blackwolfs' description alludes to, it's a surprisingly complicated bit of kit that does strange things with the power feeds so if you've hooked the relay into the circuit down stream of it, that might explain your problem. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #594250 18th Jan 2017 10:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It's triggered by the mainbeam feed not too far from behind the H4 connector on the blue and white main beam cable.

Before unplugging dim-dip it worked on latched and flash.
After removing dim-dip - flash only, no latched.

BUT main beam on the headlights are working, which should trigger the Relay as it does on flash.
But it doesn't on latched, even though the headlights do go main beam.

This is why I'm wondering if it's voltage drop.

The Relay definitely is working, so must be the supply and definitely isn't wired to or through dim-dip.

Effectively the headlights themselves are functioning perfectly in every way before unplugging dim dip and after.
Except for this one thing.
If I be tim tomorrow I'll check fuses and other bits and see what I find out. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #594255 18th Jan 2017 10:48pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Where is the relay earthed? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #594259 18th Jan 2017 10:56pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It's earthed to a good chassis point mounting bolt, its hard to describe its location exactly but it's a bolt towards the front of the engine bay passenger side.

You could be right on that one, the dim - dip removal may have altered the ground path somehow.
I can try adding a temp earth, check continuity as well as testing voltage.
I haven't checked or touched it for a while so may be that may be it.

Will report back. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #594261 18th Jan 2017 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>