Home > Technical > Replacement 2.4 Engine RHD to LHD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Replacement 2.4 Engine RHD to LHD
Hello all,

How easy is it to swap a 2.4 Puma engine from an original RHD vehicle to a LHD vehicle? A friend needs a new engine for his 110 (last has blown up, garage thinks a full replacement is the way to go), I might use the chance to sell him mine before slotting in a V8. Is this an easy replacement for the garage or are there extra bits and bobs that need to be swapped and changed etc etc?

Advice as always, welcomed.

Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #591820 10th Jan 2017 2:07pm
Froglaise

Other way around but, when I investigated converting a RHD to LHD I recall the only engine related thing that needed changing was a plastic cover and some wiring loom extension back to the dash. I abandoned the idea for various reasons, the engine not being one of them.

You may find engines from LHD have differences on the inlet side to make way for steering column or something.
Post #591824 10th Jan 2017 2:33pm
Grenadier

'You may find engines from LHD have differences on the inlet side to make way for steering column or something'.

Thanks Froglaise,

The last bit you mentioned is what I was thinking.

Post #591842 10th Jan 2017 3:47pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Yes there are small differences but if you have a complete vehicle you can use that parts. De engine and turbo etc are all the same. If you want to convert a vehicle from LHD to RHD or other way around that is a complete different story, then you need all the parts that are different. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #591852 10th Jan 2017 4:53pm
Grenadier

Thanks Roel,

I'll give him a nudge and see if he wants it.

Post #591853 10th Jan 2017 4:54pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Hi Grenadier - have you confirmed you can register / use and insure a V8 engine Puma in sunny France?

Even when I've enquired about an auto 300tdi in a 300tdi era 90 I've been met with doubts unless I can prove its for disabled use!

Keith
Post #591918 10th Jan 2017 8:53pm
Froglaise

I think the only route would be the dreaded DRIRE/DREAL for something like that.

Or just ignore all the rules and get on with it, as about 99% of French do.... Whistle
Post #591921 10th Jan 2017 9:00pm
Grenadier

ickle wrote:
Hi Grenadier - have you confirmed you can register / use and insure a V8 engine Puma in sunny France?

Even when I've enquired about an auto 300tdi in a 300tdi era 90 I've been met with doubts unless I can prove its for disabled use!

Keith

I have confirmed if I can, and I can't. I have a mate who's a former Exec at Merc, Ferrari/Maz and a car nut. He's an anglophile (has a Keswick 110SW Thumbs Up ) and imports classics, many from the UK. It is absolutely 100% against the law. Chassis, engine and V5 (or French equivalent) must match as if was just delivered from the factory. However, he did say there is one way round it if I really wanted to import it, and that would be to buy a pre some-year-or-other (I've forgotten what he said, but there's a year where cars fall into classic category, I think 25 years, so 1992) 110 with V8 listed on the title, and transfer the title to mine by swapping the number on the chassis Shocked . Apparently it's quite common in France for people who have a classic and want to change/Upgrade the engine, they just source a separate chassis. Indeed he has full reg details for a scrapped Mini, but no car, and is actively sourcing a chassis which he will add the number to. As long as the paperwork matches, they're happy. Apparently Whistle

Interestingly absolutely no checks on a Motorbike whatsoever....

Think I'll just leave it reg'd in the UK, as I go back a number of times a year so can easily do MOT etc, and leave it at that. If lwas change after Brexit, my V8DC will be more important than France so I'll just leave Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #592037 11th Jan 2017 10:10am
Grenadier

Froglaise wrote:
I think the only route would be the dreaded DRIRE/DREAL for something like that.

Or just ignore all the rules and get on with it, as about 99% of French do.... Whistle

Agreed. DRIRE/DREAL are Censored apparently. Real French jobsworths. Caterham, Ariel etc have a nightmare. In fact Ariel no longer import to France. My French mate's concern would be getting insurance. I personally don't know how they can say a car cannot be registered in France if the new V5 from the UK is fully and officially ammended? They will, at the end of the day, have the details of the car as when first registered in country. I can undersdtand if nothing is allowed to change after that, but as far as the authorities should be concerned the import documents would be no different when submitted to the prefecture. Interestingly they don't do checks, just collect the paperwork and issue the reg. On that subject, getting the Certificate of Conformity from LR might be the greatest hurdle. I think I'll pop in and have a chat...If they'd be happy to issue one with a new V8 and evertything else ticketyboo, no-one would know and everything would match. Slip it in under the radar.

All very ironic when you see the absolute s**t driving around, not to mention with the French racing heritage, notably in rallying, where modifying cars is what it's all about. But it comes down to tax and keeping on top of the people. Their fear is someone will upgrade a 95bhp 1l Clio to a 1000bhp beast but not pay the extra fiscal tax which is worked against engine size/performance. Given I would swiftly move from mid-table to super car territory, you'd think they'd be pleased. The problem is the fiscal tax is only paid once, when buying the car, so if someone made a change mid-ownership, the authorities would be none the wiser... Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #592041 11th Jan 2017 10:15am
Froglaise

Yep, a friend of mine recently returned his 1996 Caterham to the UK after 2 tries with DREAL. Factory built, standard car but it's gearbox wasn't tested and approved in France until 1997 so they refused it. He changed the box and went back and they then refused it based on speedo cable elbow fitment fit on the new 5 speed "approved" box sat 7mm lower than their records.
At this point after 2 years and apparently several '000 euro in fees he has given up.
This with the roads half full of crapped out 1970's pugs and renault 5 piling smoke out the back, only 1 light working and bold tyres. Zero enforcement, joke of an MOT and driving standard that a monkey could show up.

That said, don't know a single French person who doesn't agree that it is stupid that they can no longer build their own cars, modify or import characterful British cars.

The cloning idea would work if you're not caught but it's illegal and you can bet that the insurance would find out if there was an accident. As for the classic status, I think it's 30yrs and you still need a certificate from FFVE and the prefecture/insurance would expect the car to match the details on that.

Best do as what everyone else does - keep it on UK plates with extended Euro insurance...at least until Brexit (if that ever happens).

Incidentally, I actually know a couple of French nationals that have a car on UK plates..both worked in UK for a bit and kept the cars when they returned to France and haven't bothered to re-register, this despite it being illegal for a French national (not to be confused with French resident) to drive a non-french registered car in France or it's territories.
Post #592084 11th Jan 2017 12:12pm
Grenadier

Out of interest Froglaise, who do you use for extended insurance, assuming you do. I'm on a pre-import insurance with my local AXA, but they've been generous giving me a year which runs out in April. May as well get it sorted... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #592227 11th Jan 2017 7:44pm
Froglaise

1 yr on an import notice really is generous, I thought they only covered 90 days max and you had to show you'd begun the import process.

I'm technically UK resident and my 90 is in between UK and France pretty much 50-50 so I've kept it with Aviva and paid something like £10 on top of a £350 premium to have Euro insurance extended to 6 months per year. Can't see how they would enforce it though since I make 6-8 trips per year. Comes with European breakdown cover.

If you're over 50 then Saga do a policy with unlimited time/travel in Europe and also there is a company I used to insure one of the cars I had over here for a few years (now on French plates). I forget exactly but it was a broker called Steve Collins and Co or something in Wales. Pretty good and didn't need a UK MOT - happy for you to take a CT on UK plates instead, which saved me 4 trips to the UK. Premium was something like £600, pricey but a classic Porsche so wasn't risking it. They do all cars/bikes.
I think their policies were underwritten by Zurich which is now AXA. Paperwork long gone but pretty sure it was Steve Collins... give google a try.
Post #592239 11th Jan 2017 8:10pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Someone once said that the British assume everything is illegal unless told otherwise and the French assume everything is legal unless told otherwise. Defender drivers are different from the norm, so who feels slightly more French?!
Post #592243 11th Jan 2017 8:21pm
Froglaise

When in Rome....
Post #592274 11th Jan 2017 9:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1