↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Penman camping trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Keith5

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Penman camping trailer
Straight in at the deep end and I've bought a Penman trailer at auction to build up as a camping trailer.

We do multiple camping trips each year with the Mrs and kids, bikes and now kayaks, so we want something that can be hooked up for a quick get away. Granted there are loads of more practical options than the Penman but they don't look as good behind a 110.

Click image to enlarge

Then followed a 2 day round trip to pick it up from Hereford, with a quick visit to the out laws, and it's on the drive. I have to do something with it now. Rolling with laughter

The plan is to get it sorted and ready to use as a simple trailer ASAP with an evolution over the following winters to get a top section on it followed by fitting the fridge, water tank and ultimately a roof tent.

Priority was going to go to the Electrics, so I put 12v bulbs in and went to open up the JB and change out the nato cable to a 13 pin civilian one and I ran I to the first problem. It's all sealed up

Click image to enlarge

So the decision is now: Do I fit another JB before this one to change the cables or do I bite the bullet and do a full re-write from the 13 pin plug right through to the lamp units and change out to NAS LEDs at the same time?

The 2nd task was going to be cleaning the surface corrosion off the chassis and treating that. Currently thinking that I'll wire brush it all then Buzzweld Rust Encapsulator followed with CIO.

Also noticed when I got home that the jockey wheel was very tight to operate, had a better look today and it appears to be bent.

Click image to enlarge

Will need to get that in a vice at work to hopefully straighten it up next week. Keith

Last edited by Keith5 on 1st Aug 2020 6:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #847481 1st Aug 2020 5:29pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
jockey wheel is a 3500 one you can get spares from bradley or buy a new one

easiest way on the electrics to use a patch lead or buy the adaptor or you need to rewire the lot.

have fun with the build
Post #847490 1st Aug 2020 6:22pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
If you can get access to a press, that would be better for straightening the jockey wheel. You can choose exactly where to apply the pressure and have better control how far to bend.

You can just change the nato plug for a standard plug if you think it may ever need to go back to original.
You may need to find the right plug to get the thick cable into, may need to modify it a bit.

Have fun.
Post #847512 1st Aug 2020 8:00pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Hi keith5, in the end what solution did you go with regarding the electrics ? I’m in a similar position with a newly acquired penman. And I’m also thinking on using leds, just need to understand the best ones to use.
Post #862522 20th Oct 2020 1:32am
Keith5

Ian,

I've ended up making/running a whole new set of wiring in current colours for the trailer re-using the conduit and route that was there for the military installation. I looked at the potting compound and decided against trying to pick it all out so bought new cable to do the complete rewire. Once I started to strip it out I realised that the potting compound came out easier than I expected, however by that time I had already bought the new 13pin plug and cable and the cable for the rest of the trailer so decided just to go with plan A.

I've also taken the opportunity to underseal the whole frame while I have the wiring loom out and before I get the new body installed (currently waiting on a slot with the fabrication co).

I have a batch of 12v bulbs to go into the Peiri holders that are part of the original install. If budget allows I'll probably change them to Wipac NAS units which will mount on the existing plinths. All depends on how much the new trailer body and doors costs. Keith
Post #862600 20th Oct 2020 2:09pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Many thanks Keith. I will have a look at the junction box and potting compound. Checking prices that stuff is expensive to replace ! It may be better to just do as you did and create a new loom.
I will likely use bilt hamber dynax ub wax on the underside as I have a spare 750ml spray can. The GS cargo I have came straight out of store, never been used and In great condition so should be an easy job to apply the wax.
Like you will start with std 12v bulbs on existing fittings. Given the limited use they will likely last years !

I’ve also purchase one of these. https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...uct_id=352 . Designed for mounting larger diameter wheel/ tyre combinations it raises the wheel by 2 inches so hopefully will allow me to mount and use the pintile at max height on my Dixon bate adjustable tow bar without removing the spare wheel. It may also help those with pintiles directly connected to the crossmember who also have a rear mounted wheel. Will reduce view through rear screen but that’s minimal already. Once fitted I will post my findings.
Post #862656 20th Oct 2020 7:50pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Nice project. Good luck with it. I got one back in July. Best thing I bought for ages 👍 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #862685 20th Oct 2020 9:26pm
Keith5

Ian,

I havent worked out how I'm going to get around the spare wheel and pintle issue yet. Ideally I want to leave the nato hitch on the cross member and I already have a mantec wheel carrier for the spare. I did look at the Safari equip carrier to replace the mantec but cant justify the costs.

Current thinking is to include a mount for the spare wheel on the new trailer body and just move the spare onto the trailer when we're using the trailer. Keith
Post #862731 21st Oct 2020 7:20am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I'm running 35inch tyres with the NATO hook attached straight to the cross member.
As above, using a foundry4x4 replacement wheel carrier https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...uct_id=352
The Sankey fits on OK, sometimes easier to undo the jaw slightly with the door open.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #862738 21st Oct 2020 7:58am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Camelman - even with the door spare wheel adaptor..... shouldn't the sankey sit nose down?

What did you do to make it sit level? Looks great like that.
Post #862774 21st Oct 2020 10:16am
camelman

United Kingdom 
As the Nato is mounted directly onto the rear cross member and I have a 2inch lift and 35 inch tyres, its effectively 4 inches higher than standard at the back. Hence the trailer nose is flat.
Post #862776 21st Oct 2020 10:17am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Matt110 wrote:
Camelman - even with the door spare wheel adaptor..... shouldn't the sankey sit nose down?

What did you do to make it sit level? Looks great like that.

If you run the same tyres on the truck as the sankey it will sit level with a hitch mounted to the cross member, it’s how they were designed.

The internet’s theory that sankey’ s need to be nose down is utter Censored . Years of driving them in the army, they were always level with a crossmember mounted hitch.

Civilian hitch’s are much much lower, even with an adapter, they will sit nose down.

To get it level, mount your hitch to the cross member
Post #862843 21st Oct 2020 4:57pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The 7.50 R16 tyres on a penman at 31.7 inch diameter are more or less the same size as a 235/85 r16 at 31.7 inches ( defender std tyre size) or a 265/75 R16 at 31.6 inches. So I will be pleasantly surprised if the penman is level when coupled to a nato pintile bolted to defender crossmember. I will find out at the weekend.
Post #862872 21st Oct 2020 6:52pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
What's confused me is that camelmans truck with the same wheels as the trailer (thus you discount the wheels in determining the attitude of the trailer) is level, with "only" a 2" lift on the vehicle. I had always thought the difference in nose height to generate a level trailer with the same wheels on vehicle and trailer would be much greater than 2".

Badgers comment really interesting, as I'm sure i've only ever seen particularly a penman.... nose down?

Anyone got a photo of one level behind something? It's what I was planning to generate.... but was assuming i'd need to cut the A frame even if i used the hitch at cross member height.

That's good news Thumbs Up Very Happy
Post #862888 21st Oct 2020 7:31pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I was surprised at Badger's comment (though he does specifically say Sankey, not Penman) since I have never seen a military Landrover with a level Penman trailer, they are all nose-down. They used to be very nose-down with the TUL, and they are slightly nose-down with the TUM.

Remember that the TUM has taller rear springs than civvy vehicles and therefore the hitch is higher, but even so the trailer is nose down.

Some photos of a TUM with a Penman (scroll through the pics): https://www.neneoverland.co.uk/listings/la...o-trailer/

Another photo of a TUM with a Penman: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/680184349952312777/
Post #862915 21st Oct 2020 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>