↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Sparkrite immobiliser
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
xcentric

Sparkrite immobiliser
I appreciate this is sensitive, so happy if the mods delete this, but better yet, people pm me. Or reply here if it's common knowledge Very Happy

In my Defender 200tdi that I've just bought, it has an old sparkrite immobiliser fitted (probably from about 1996) - turn off the battery isolation switch, and when you turn it back on the module has a red led on it. Key in ignition has no effect on anything. Putting a lozenge-shaped fob so that its 3 contacts meet the 3 contacts of the immobiliser means it deactivates and the red led goes out, and the car starts as usual. You only have to activate it if the power is interrupted (battery cutoff switch) - just turning off ignition doesn't reactivate it.

Now, it's somewhat old, and takes about 3 or 4 minutes of cursing and fiddling before the lozenge contacts meet the other contacts and it turns off, so is a disaster waiting to happen. So I want to remove it and fit alternative security. However, it's been well installed, in that black leads leave the back of the immobiliser into the dash and who knows what colours come out of which grommets in the bulkhead.....

So, how do I take it out - is there a standard way they were fitted, for example? Is it just working on the wires to the ignition switch and so not into the engine bay, or would it be likely to be attached to the starter motor as well, or fuel pump? Is there an easy way to tell without taking all the dash off?

thanks in advance Thumbs Up
Post #591727 10th Jan 2017 12:11am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Only two circuits that can be used to immobilise the engine on a Tdi, the starter relay feed and the fuel injection pump solenoid.

I'm afraid you'll need to strip down and trace the wires to see where they have been spliced into what. From your description I suspect the starter feed has been interrupted, however the fuel solenoid could also have been tampered with as a 'double layer'.
Post #591924 10th Jan 2017 9:02pm
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had something similar in a Fiat X19 I used to own many years ago. It was such a problem dis-arming it that in the end I never armed it which solved the problem for me. Not sure if this is an option for your version. Cheers Don.
Post #592175 11th Jan 2017 4:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1