Print this entire topic · 
yaho

Poland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
No, I have not. Replaced the filter and bled the system at one go. Janusz
www.yahodeville.com
Post #42088 6th Oct 2010 2:01pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I found one of these tools on ebay and bought one, just changed the filter, connected the pump (in line) and was standing there squeezing the bulb but nothing was going on. just air in the bulb, no fuel. I got bored so decided to see if it would start anyway and it did with no problems. let it idle for 10 minutes and all fine.

tested the pump for leaks with some diesel, no problem. So how long should one pump for before fuel is felt in the bulb?
Post #52737 13th Jan 2011 11:54am
yaho

Poland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Next time check if the connecting piece you plug at the engine side is sealed enough (it has to be perfect fit, otherwise you will suck the air through the pump). Janusz
www.yahodeville.com
Post #52902 14th Jan 2011 7:22am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
It was. the tool is identical to the LR one (without the bleed). The connection was good.
Post #52918 14th Jan 2011 9:44am
fordy103

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
i heard off somebody that if you put the ignition on, and pump the accelerator 5 times, the engine management light flashes and will use the fuel pump to prime the system. however, ive not tried this so it could be total Censored Smile
Post #53389 17th Jan 2011 12:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
fordy103 wrote:
i heard off somebody that if you put the ignition on, and pump the accelerator 5 times, the engine management light flashes and will use the fuel pump to prime the system. however, ive not tried this so it could be total Censored Smile

This is on the Td5, the Puma does not self-prime!
Post #53393 17th Jan 2011 6:00am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Tip. In case you get air into the fuel system you can put some pressure through the fuel filling neck with a small compressor (eg. ARB). To men job, unless you can get some sealing so the air does not escape from the filler hose, while you unscrew the bleeding niple close to the HP-diesel pump until bubles are gone. NOt rocket science but just to let you know. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #99607 13th Nov 2011 1:50am
Edfors

Sweden 
Had to bleed a TDCi today, found that the connector to the fuel line is exactly the same as on the air inlet filter for the Discovery 2! So I used an old filter and cut the connector off, then connected a bladder and some hoses. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #289886 12th Dec 2013 6:11pm
TZ7XGP

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Fuel bleeding
I did the same as MK. Was changing fuel filter and did not have a can of diesel to fill the filter back up with fresh fuel. So thought it would be like most modern cars and have an auto bleed system, having a modern engine ( how stupid am I.... Its a Land Rover!) Its a two man job but would have saved me 4 hours of my life if I had done it at the start! pressurise the fuel filler openning, I used a bike pump with some grey pipe insulation tie wrapped around it to make agood seal. One pumps the over removers the green cap off the schreader? valve ( tyre type valve) and let it bubble through. Cost.... Nothing... Time... 2 mins! Next time I will fill the filter with fuel!!
Post #290157 13th Dec 2013 6:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Interesting that 2 people have bled the fuel system by pressurizing the tank through the filler neck! Something's not right there!

The Puma tank has a breather pipe from the top of the tank to atmosphere, the location of which varies according to model and age. All however are open to the atmosphere and protected by a roll-over valve (ROV) to prevent fuel spilling if the truck is the wrong way up. It should not be possible to pressurize the tank through the filler neck since this breather will simply vent. If you can pressurize the tank in this way you have a blocked breather and you need to unblock it asap!

If, like many people, you have extended the breather so that it terminates somewhere clean and sensible (and not in the wet and grot where LR put it) the you can pressurize the tank, provided the filler cap is in place, through the breather. Some will have read elsewhere on this forum of my contaminated fuel problem: in the course of sorting this I have removed, cleaned, and flushed just about the whole system by this means and it renders the bleed pump completely superfluous.

The filter head of the Puma fuel filter is fitted with an air bleed valve and (although I haven't tried it) it is quite possible that it will self-bleed a completely empty filter. Even if you pre-fill the filter it is likely that the fuel in the pick-up pipe will drain back into the tank, and the pipe will self-prime.

There is a pressure relief valve in the filler cap intended to prevent the tank bursting or imploding if the breather is blocked, however in the case of a blocked breather this tends to draw crud into the tank through the lock barrel of the cap.

I suggest that if you think you've bled your tank by pressurizing it through the filler neck then either you have a blocked breather (which you need to clear asap) or you've actually achieved nothing and the system has self-primed.
Post #290223 14th Dec 2013 12:33am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Is the breather not arranged so as to let air in rather than out? I thought it was there to prevent a vacuum building up in the tank as fuel was used and would have a one-way valve on it to prevent fumes escaping. In which case it should be normal that the tank can be prssurised from the filler neck.

If the breather really is two way, then the idea of moving it into the cab to keep it clean is a bad one, as fumes could vent into the passenger compartment. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #290234 14th Dec 2013 8:42am
blackwolf

It works both ways, prevents tank pressurizing and prevents partial vacuum.

Fumes unlikely to be a problem since diesel is non-volatile, and certainly isn't an issue on a DC like mine.
Post #290253 14th Dec 2013 1:06pm
TZ7XGP

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
In reply to Blackwolf. I spent 4 hours trying to get the engine started, so do not think it self bled. I do not have any suction on my filler cap when opening it, but mybe it is comming through the lock. But I have to say when I drained the filter for the first time in the vehicles life ( 40,000 miles) as not done by previous owner, there was a tiny amount of water and no dirt. I to was surprised I could pressurise the tank in this way. But when you have been working on it for 4 hours on a Sunday, when everywhere is closed and it is your only means of transport. you will try anything!
Post #290693 15th Dec 2013 10:34pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
The 2.2 has an electric fuel pump while the 2.4 doesnt.

so you're better off in a 2.4. 1 less thing to go wrong.

have a look at the wiring diagrams. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #290733 16th Dec 2013 4:42am
blackwolf

TZ, I can't explain it, but if you blow into the filler all that *should* happen is you get a hissing noise from the breather. It is a small pipe though, so you may be able to blow air into the tank quicker than the breather can vent it - that would achieve the desired result.

When I was pressurizing mine (through the extended replacement breather) I temporaily fitted a Schrader valve to the breather pipe to allow one-man bleeding. You can then pump the tank up until the fuel cap vents and hold the pressure while you bleed.

Is the 2.2 electric pump in the tank (similar to TD5) or up front? Given that the 2.2 Transit has the same pump as the 2.4, it would be interesting to know why LR has opted for an electric pump.
Post #290768 16th Dec 2013 10:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 10 <12345678910>