↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Flatdog Rax Roof Rack over an SD roll cage?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steve_c3

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Flatdog Rax Roof Rack over an SD roll cage?
I’m hoping that someone with one of these racks might be able to do me a favour and also wondered if anyone had tried this:

I’m looking at getting a rack for my 110 and the Flatdog Rax look reasonably priced with good reviews but…I don’t know whether it’ll fit over the front section of my roll cage. It’s a safety devices cage with the front section going up and in through the roof to an internal hoop. Looking at it I’m guessing not without some modifications but a measurement of the gap between the flat section of the Defender roof and the rack cross rails would be ideal.

I’m thinking worst case I could remove one or two of the cross bars to avoid the highest point of the roll cage but would rather avoid it if I can.
Pic below…

Click image to enlarge

Thanks all. 2002 Defender 110 CSW TD5
Post #989841 21st Apr 2023 6:52pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The obvious first question is do you actually need a full length 110 roof rack or could you get away with a 90 length roof rack?

Might reduce the fitting issues being shorter.

The other thought is that SD do have a roof rack adapter bar for the front sloping bars of the roll cage that has been designed to support their racks with a full roll cage. Might work but suspect it would be too high. Would be worth giving them a call.

You can see it in the drawings at this link under the front of the expedition roof rack. http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/pr...ull/22/22/
Post #989867 22nd Apr 2023 6:42am
steve_c3

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Thanks Geobloke, I think you might be right about the height though. To sit level it’ll need to be a long way off the roof at the back. I’d like to get a roof tent on it at some point so the additional storage you get from a full length rack (obviously weight permitting) would be useful. I’ve seen someone on here had ‘edited’ one of the genuine LR racks to fit round a partial cage but I’m leaning towards the flatter slimline racks at the moment. I may have a chat with Flatdog on Monday and get their take on it too. 2002 Defender 110 CSW TD5
Post #989890 22nd Apr 2023 9:03am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
No problem. The SD cage mounts are excellent for mounting to a cage so a modified strut that attaches to these and the rack is the way I would go in you place.

Should t be a difficult fabrication job. I completely understand about the slimline aspect, I have a full cage and 90 expedition rack and it does sit tall and that rack itself is HEAVY Rolling Eyes Shocked
Post #989891 22nd Apr 2023 9:09am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Doesn't really answer your question but 8n my experience a couple of bars are better than a full rack for a roof tent. Lots cheaper too.

I had a hannibal rack fitted with a Front cage using the adaptor bar mentioned. Worked well.
Post #989913 22nd Apr 2023 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1