↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Want to build a truck at home? A few pointers.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Want to build a truck at home? A few pointers.
I thought I'd offer some pointers to anybody thinking of doing a rebuild, I see comments all of the time of people wanting to, so here's a couple of things to consider...

Please feel free to add to this, as I'm sure there's lots I'll miss or don't know about.

Plan.
It depends what extent of rebuild you want to do, chassis swap, chassis and engine swap, full resto, or from scratch.
It's best to have a specific goal.
I've wasted lots of time and lots of money on swapping and changing ideas, 'shooting from the hip' at what I want. If you've read my v8 90 build thread, it started as a bulkhead swap and took different paths over the build time. It was an impulsive buy and there was never the need for anything specific. Not the best idea!
Have a specific plan, write down your needs, stick to them.

Tools.
If you're planning such a build, I expect you'll have a good selection already, so I'll miss the obvious hand tools.
An engine crane is a must, though an engine stand is a luxury, but one of the most useful items I had were little trolleys. Go to your local tesco and at the side there'll be a stack of bread trays, all stacked on top of a plastic trolley with 4 castor wheels, speak to the manager nicely and suggest that some may go missing, better to ask first. These were great for putting the engine, gearbox and transfer box on, making them easy to move around....see lack of space!!
Oil trays for emptying out fluids are a must. I bought a big plastic cement mixing pad from wickes, this was great for containing all the crap from degreasing the gearbox etc. you can quickly make a huge mess, try and keep it to a minimum.
Large heavy duty axle stands and jacks are a must. An air compressor is useful, but not essential. An impact gun was useful, for the crank bolt when the engine was out ( the engine I rebuilt, but took out.... See plan/time/money wasted!).
Trailers are essential, I got by without one (no space) though I used my friends trailers for collecting parts, chassis etc

Space.
My biggest issue.
We are now looking to move house, for a bigger garage and space....I want to rebuild the 110, but it won't happen here.
A 90 can be rebuilt in a generous single garage...I just did it. However, at one point, there was 2 rear tubs in the back garden and a new truck cab hidden amongst the furniture in the conservatory. There were 5 new wheels and tyres in there too, but the smell of rubber was too much for Mrs Greeni and they got put outside.
A lot of time was spent juggling things around in the garage, tidiness is key. The trolleys were great, as I could store the gearbox etc in the garage, then when I wanted the space, I wheeled them outside.
It depends on how you are, I know people have built trucks in their front garden, it's not something I'd want my neighbours doing, so i wouldn't do it to them.

Time.
This is a good one.
I didn't strip and prime and paint the rear axle, as it would have eaten up a lot of time, now it's built I wished I had, little things like this, now niggle at me.
I also now wish I had custom built a whole loom too, a skill I've since learned, because of the build.
You have to live.....I have sacrificed many, many weekends over the past two years. The odd few hours in the evenings have been spent in there. The build has not taken over our lives, though it has had an effect. Weekends that were usually spent at the beach have been spent in the garage. Luckily and understanding partner helps a lot. I know many relationships have broken down over such builds.

Money.
See 'plan'.
I've wasted a lot of money on the different directions.... 2 engines, 3 roofs, 4 sets of wheels, 3 pairs of seats, 3 pairs of doors etc.
Of course, I've pulled money back by selling the old, but the hassle of selling stuff frustrates me...I still have an engine, roof, wheels.
Anyway, work out how much you need, then times that by 3. Hidden costs are not normally factored in....
Hidden costs are things like hardware, I probably spent around £200+ on stainless nuts and bolts, £200+ on wiring, £300+ on hoses and connectors, £2-300 on oils. Sandpaper, paint, it all adds up,
I have lots of the above left over and most of what I have bought, a standard build won't need.
Tools also cost a lot, just the crimping tool for the battery cables was £80, plus the engine crane, stand etc etc...
I hand rollered the 90, I didn't want it painted professionally, so that would add £2000 plus.

Suppliers.
I tried to use one supplier for parts, one for hardware, one for electrical etc, once they now what you are doing, they may offer you a discount for repeat business. It would be great to order everything at once, as shipping costs add up...that's a hidden cost. LRS and MUD helped me a lot.

Do a build thread.
It takes time, people rarely comment, it may inspire one person, though it mainly inspires yourself! Reading through my own makes me realise what I've been through already and makes me carry on!

Skill.
You don't need any. People aren't born as mechanics, you learn. I self taught...I rolled a RRC into my empty garage, bought some tools... (I didn't even know how to put a hacksaw blade into a hacksaw), stripped the body off to the chassis, shortened it and built an 80" Coiler trials motor.... There was no internet and forums then to ask for help.
As a friend said, it's only nuts n bolts.

Don't give up!
You see many 'unfinished projects' for sale.
That's because they may have not planned for any of the above... Run out of space, time, money, interest.
Many times I've wished I hadn't started, but I'm mainly looking to do something next, once mine was complete.

Enjoy it.
It's a hobby, right?

Last edited by GREENI on 27th Dec 2016 11:26am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #587914 27th Dec 2016 8:45am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Sorry, that wasn't written well at all, but I hope it gets a couple of points across. Laughing
Post #587917 27th Dec 2016 8:52am
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Greeni Like you I am moving home to one with a large garage or space for one to be built! We need space in the house for the two kids and 4 dogs we have but im looking forwards to finally having my own garage hahaha ive told my mrs that the criteria is space in house and GARAGE!!!! Very Happy
looking forward to my first rebuild indoors! after many winters freezing my ass off when I was younger! 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #587920 27th Dec 2016 9:02am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thank you Greeni, I really enjoyed reading your post. I hope it helps those members thinking about a possible rebuild as it does take up a lot of (precious) time and space. I rebuilt a Ferguson TE20 tractor some years ago in a large double garage and as Greeni says it's amazing how much space is taken up with parts and wheels and tyres etc. I started this rebuild without any planning, it just grew like topsy so well worth taking his advice and starting with a plan. I also dismantled the body of a Morgan 4/4 to paint the various bits that Morgan "forgot" to paint when they built it and again you cannot believe how much room a small sports car takes up when stripped. Many of my classic car friends have done complete rebuilds on various basket cases and every one of the rebuilds seems to have taken over their lives for a few years. My advice like Greeni is think long and hard before setting out on what will be a time consuming adventure. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #587921 27th Dec 2016 9:07am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Top tip, DO NOT keep a list of costs, it will keep you awake and lead to divorce if it gets into the wrong hands! 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #587926 27th Dec 2016 9:32am
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
Remember even if you make a plan, it will cost you twice as much and three times the planned time. Or was it the other way around. Twisted Evil Still I did it twice. Mr. Green Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #590826 6th Jan 2017 8:32pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
You eventually will resent the amount of money and time the rebuild is taking and consequently your motivation will nose dive. Walk away from it for a couple of weeks, do something else. Return to it when your motivation returns.
This is the point where many rebuilds get sold on so take a break, reintroduce yourself to the Mrs, build some flat pack furniture but stay away from the rebuild ☺
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #664791 16th Nov 2017 1:16pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
^^^ Well said! Thumbs Up 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #664796 16th Nov 2017 2:14pm
under_rover

2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Great advice there Greeni Thumbs Up .
A plan from the outset is a definate, well certainly before you set to and rip your truck into bits
Space is one I'm struggling with, but it does make you keep tidy.
Time is everyones nemesis, but every little task you manage is a step closer and it keeps the project moving.
Be methodical, it does impact on time in the short run, but it's too easy to set too and forget what came from where.
And have fun, you're spot on with that one Greeni.

I'll shortly be starting a rebuild thread on a 300 90 Thud , so watch this space
Post #664802 16th Nov 2017 2:49pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I have a spreadsheet of parts I'm buying for the Serie III... then a folder of the receipts... However ALL boxes get delivered to work Smile

I've cleaned out the garage I'm using and had a grand sort out. I have also recently installed lighting and a tool rack x 2 along with a yet to be fitted rack with little tubs for washers, bolts, etc Your right keeping the work space tidy is a good point. Makes you feel better also knowing you can find a tool etc easily when needed.

My Area has already been taken over doing up a toy lander but handy I have the room and bits to do it Smile

ooh and don't forget.....

Click image to enlarge
Post #664804 16th Nov 2017 3:06pm
Slideywindows

England 
My two pennorth:

Before even thinking of a major rebuild, ask yourself the following questions and be honest with the answers:

What do I spend my spare time doing now, that I am happy to give up for the next year or two? Will I miss doing it?

Am I likely to change job in the next year or two?

Am I likely to move house in the next year or two?

Will I have children or will their circumstances change in the next year or two?

Will I get divorced in the next year or two?

You really need a clear "no" to these questions, before you start romanticising about that super rebuild you are going to do.

Otherwise, life will get in the way.
Post #664946 16th Nov 2017 9:39pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Re: Want to build a truck at home? A few pointers.
GREENI wrote:
......Suppliers.
I tried to use one supplier for parts, one for hardware, one for electrical etc, once they now what you are doing, they may offer you a discount for repeat business. It would be great to order everything at once, as shipping costs add up...that's a hidden cost. LRS and MUD helped me a lot. .......

I am trying to find a supply source for wiring loom connectors in the engine compartment. I've drawn a blank so far. Any ideas? "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #665184 17th Nov 2017 8:09pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Try tornado Ecu guy, he's currently doing GEMS harnesses. Thumbs Up

Though I mostly used Vehicle Wiring Products.
Post #665189 17th Nov 2017 8:29pm
B4Lamb

Okay Thanks Green Smile "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #665191 17th Nov 2017 8:44pm
B4Lamb

Okay Thanks Green Smile "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #665198 17th Nov 2017 9:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>