↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tire repair kit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
treps

Tire repair kit?
Do you carry a punctured tire repair kit? If so, which one would you recommend?
I found this on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BP5E7KI/ref...EVJWQ70L7G

I carry mushroom kit and 12V pump on my bikes and they are great. A puncture can be fixed in 10 mins.
I do carry the spare wheel on the Defender. However, I am also looking at something easy to use for a 'simple' puncture. A search did not yield anything except the thread on whether to carry a spare or not. Thanks for any advice.
Post #586198 18th Dec 2016 8:44pm
dorsetsmith

The only trouble with sealant type repair kits is tyre will not be repair after using the kit fond this out three year if had removed the wheel and tyre with out using sealant tyre fitter would have fix it, but as i had use sealant tyre had to be scrap Crying or Very sad
Post #586214 18th Dec 2016 9:12pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
If I were to carry anything it would be the tyre string repair kits.

The issue is they are "temporary" and "not for road use".

I have however run a road tyre with one in for over 10k without issues. The tyre ran out of tread before the repair gave up.
Post #586272 18th Dec 2016 11:54pm
treps

Thanks. I've gone for a 'stop & go' kit with 12V compressor. Cheers
Post #586662 20th Dec 2016 11:32pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
miker wrote:
If I were to carry anything it would be the tyre string repair kits.

The issue is they are "temporary" and "not for road use".

I have however run a road tyre with one in for over 10k without issues. The tyre ran out of tread before the repair gave up.

We sold a lorry with one that had been in for 20k miles.

I *think* the reason they're for "off road use only" is because you haven't taken the tyre off to inspect it for damage.

They do have limits though, they start getting a bit unreliable once you've put 5 or so in a hole Laughing
Post #586729 21st Dec 2016 12:49pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I have one of these: -

http://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/products/100000...r-kit.html

Haven't had to use it yet but in the demo video it seems to work in pretty much the same way as a tyre shop repair. Obviously needs some kind of re-inflation apparatus too. I've never had to do a repair on a car tyre but did many on motorcycle tyres over the years using the same type of plugged repair.
Post #586779 21st Dec 2016 5:01pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I'm a firm believer in the sticky string kits, they're quick and easy to use and aren't a "one shot" like the liquid things. I was convinced it was the way forward in 2005 when I was on the Outback Challenge and had 8 punctures across 3 different tyres in the first 2 days of competition. Once I realised that I didn't even have to take the wheel/tyre off the vehicle, just move the vehicle until the puncture was accessible, remove the foreign object (shards of rock in this case), plug the hole with string, top up the air and carry on.

Since then I've carried out temporary fixes on mine and mates tyres and I think everyone who's seen me plug their tyres has bought their own kit immediately afterwards !

The sticky string repairs have exactly the same limitations as a sealant repair - they should only be considered a temporary repair to get you home and the tyre should be removed and inspected and then permanently repaired if possible.

If you don't want to buy a kit like the ARB one above (although that is very good) most agricultural tyre places stock the string and the insertion tools. Also a good place to restock the kits as you can get 20-30 strings for a tenner. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #586794 21st Dec 2016 5:41pm
Sadi

Namibia 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Repair kit..
Have seen the "plugging kits" in action whilst off-roading in a group - very quick and easy to use - without removing the wheel - as mentioned. Like in the ARB kit - try to get the reamer and plugger with metal handles - have heard about a case where a non-metal handle allowed the tool to move backwards and cause a hand 🤚 injury. Tip Top Rema and ARB are good products - but have seen good results with the "unbranded" ones as well.
Post #586865 21st Dec 2016 9:01pm
treps

ARB too
Thanks all. I have also gone for the ARB kit. I use something similar on my bikes (stop n go) and these plugs are brilliant. Cheers
Post #593313 15th Jan 2017 7:36pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Just to add a little more I have used these kits on rather heavy sand coloured vehicles multiple times and have had no problems Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #593355 15th Jan 2017 8:31pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have used the ARB kit to good effect. The only time I had issue with a repair done with 'sticky string' was when driving with temperatures around -20C. Not sure if it was the adhesive hardening up or the string hardening up with the low temperature but it worked its way out.

These types of repair are NOT road legal as they do not conform to tyre repair legislation.

Quote:

British standard BS AU159 sets out the rules for repairs to car tyres. It defines the type of damage that can be repaired and the way that repairs should be carried out.

One of the most important requirements is that the car tyre has to be removed from the wheel to check for internal damage.

Brendan
Post #593442 16th Jan 2017 8:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1