↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Backpackers got car stuck sand smash 4x4 towing Queensland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Backpackers got car stuck sand smash 4x4 towing Queensland
Post #585510 16th Dec 2016 8:05am
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Oops Shocked
Post #585525 16th Dec 2016 9:53am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I really need to go to recovery school myself, but 3 things jump out at me here:

Why is the Defender gunning it? Huge shock load when that strap goes under tension.. Is this tactic required for sand?
Why does the Defender come to a halt so soon? Did they communicate to the other driver they would do so?
Then the obvious one - why didn't the other driver stop? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #585529 16th Dec 2016 10:10am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Looks like the Landy driver was Jeremy Clarkson...

Speeeeeeeeeeeddd

I see no reason why he went to fast and then stopped suddenly?
Post #585530 16th Dec 2016 10:14am
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
agentmulder wrote:

Why is the Defender gunning it? Huge shock load when that strap goes under tension.. Is this tactic required for sand?

It is a kinetic recovery strap, you need to build up tension / stretch it to increase the pulling effect. Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #585558 16th Dec 2016 12:54pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
ah, good to know...

learning learning Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #585560 16th Dec 2016 1:01pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
agentmulder wrote:
learning learning

If you have an evening or two to spare:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

Greetings,

Joris
Post #585563 16th Dec 2016 1:32pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I must admit I do have a little sympathy for the car driver. I'm not quite sure why the Defender stopped so soon? I suspect the car driver thought whilst they had momentum they would keep going until off the deep sand, which they were still on.

Thanks for the link Joris I could with learning! Still need to get a basic recovery 'kit'. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #585608 16th Dec 2016 5:18pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
My Internet is a little slow to watch the vid but the last thing I would of done is use a Kenetic rope on a car like that, the recovery point is not build for that type of impact loading, that could of easily sheared off causing injury/death to anyone standing in its way. From the stills it looks as if the defender has a winch fitted, this would of been a safer option, again the car recovery point is not a rated recovery point however with the correct technique a minimal force would of been applied and the vehicle freed.

Recovery in soft sand the towing vehicle should always continue until both vehicles are on hard standing to avoid repeated bogging down, momentum is the key not so much speed. 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #585610 16th Dec 2016 5:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Halfwits, the lot of them (and I include the Defender driver in that).

A good illustration of why I don't generally recover people I don't know.

I wonder which one of them had the brain cell that day, or perhaps they forgot it and left it at home.
Post #585618 16th Dec 2016 6:25pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Another point the Subaru driver should have been told to leave the car in neutral and running and only use brakes and steering. It appears that neither party really knew what they were doing in this video.
I had a similar thing happen when I pulled a little Citroen van out of a ditch, I told the van driver explicitly that he mustn't put it in reverse and keep an eye on what my brake lights were doing, I started to pull gently and the van flew backwards, thankfully past my motor, but straight into another van parked on the side of the road, who's owner was stood right next to it watching the whole thing unfold.
I got out and asked the driver what the hell he was doing after he was told not to reverse, only to have a very blank look from him. took one look at the owner of the other van, who was just stood shaking his head.
Post #585620 16th Dec 2016 6:27pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Defender driver shouldn't have stopped, car driver looks like he was thrashing it in reverse where IMO he should have kept it in neutral handbrake off and et the Defender and rope do the work. Then brake only to come to a halt slowly with momentum.

I recovered someone once, never again.
Best way to destroy you treasured possession, they won't be bothered.... Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #585622 16th Dec 2016 6:32pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
^^^^^ never again unless it's life threatening I ended up recovering the car and the RAC van both together Mr. Green Whistle after Mr RAC had burnt his winch out Rolling with laughter

Maybe they staled the Defender Surprised
Post #585633 16th Dec 2016 7:18pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
I remember years ago at Sanna on the Ardnamurchan peninsula I came across a Jeep that was sunk up to its axles in the sandy dirt of a croft. The croft owner was shouting over to me not to bother trying to pull the stuck driver out because she had already tried and failed with her own Landy. I had a winch fitted to my Discovery at the time so I hooked onto the stuck Jeep and pulled him out.
Once he was clear, he then informed me that he had already phoned for a recovery truck and it shouldn't be far away - as he had been stuck for a few hours and the truck should only take a couple of hours to come from Fort William. We had a ferry to catch back to Tobermory so off we set and passed the recovery truck after about 5 minutes as it headed towards Sanna sands. The Jeep owner was in front of me and drove past the truck driver without saying that he was free, so the recovery driver had driven a couple of hours and was going to find nothing but a couple of deep ruts where the Jeep had been. Hopefully he had the details of the Jeep owner so he could at least claim back his diesel for the outing.

On the OP's incident, I only recently discovered the existence of kinetic straps. When I used to do my bit off road, we used KERR or kinetic energy recovery ropes for some very stuck vehicles. A great deal of energy is stored in the rope - or strap - when in use, and should only be used with great care. I had an old VHS copy of a video taken by a lad I knew. A series 3 was being recovered using a KERR rope. As the tow vehicle took off and streatched the rope, the bumper and lifting rings of the series 3 flew past the camera at an alarming rate. If anyone had been in its path they would have been dead. A truly frightening film, I wish I still had it to watch again.
Post #585659 16th Dec 2016 8:51pm
Alien

Australia 
Snatch straps seem to be the first choice of recovery over here.
This is due mainly to the time saving but it's not always the best method and it comes with many risks.
Winching a stuck vehicle on sand will only drag the winching rig closer to the bogged vehicle unless it's anchoured securely.
(I do a few winch recoveries in the bush and often have to chain my Defender to a tree to stop it moving)
I was going to type out how to use a snatch strap properly but these links explains it ...

The tow rig uses the strap to give a "little" tug to the boged vehicle who then drives themselves out.
This type of recovery is not deemed to be a tow as the strap is designed to strech(see video). Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #585683 16th Dec 2016 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>