↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Tail Stop light - one positive and two negative leads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Giby_off

Bulgaria 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SVX Station Wagon Havana
Tail Stop light - one positive and two negative leads
Hi folks,

I tried to change the tail - stop dual bulb with LED one recently but without success. The standard bulb is working perfectly well but the LED one lights up only when the break pedal is pressed and does not want to light up as a tail light.
I checked the tail - stop wires (there are 3 wires) and it appeared that two of them are negative and one is positive. On the other hand all two light LEDs I have found are designed for one negative and two positive wires.
Do you know by chance if your Defender has the same wire set-up? Do you know which LED model is designed for two negative and one positive wires configuration?
Post #584117 11th Dec 2016 3:43pm
Giby_off

In addition, when you turn tail light on there is 12V between the ground and one of the driving wire and also 12V between the same driving wire and the other driving wire which means that in this case both wires are connected to the ground. Voltage between both negative wires are 0. I was not able to measure the signal with the break pedal on because I was alone.
In the above mentioned scenario LED light did not came on.

I did some test with battery and I managed to reproduce it at home. if you have negative connection to the ground and one of the driving leads and positive to the other the LED will not come up. If you disconnect the the ground from the driving lead it comes up. I tested with two different LEDs and both working in the same way, so the question which remains is do you know which LEDs are compatible with Defender setup?
Post #584153 11th Dec 2016 6:14pm
Alien

Australia 
I use LED 2 pin globes in the rear of mine without any issues.
There is one earth that goes to the out side of the globe holder.
The brake and tail lights conect to the terminals at the bottom of the socket and both are positive feed.
The globe should have 2 staggered pins on the side so it only fits one way to ensure the correct conections to the terminals.

Depending on the method used to test earth you may have got a circuit via the other globes.
Compare the pins on your replacement globes are the same(stagered).
Also check the 2 contacts are in a similar location in relation to the location pins.
To me it sounds like the replacement globes are not correct.

Cheers, Kyle. Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #584264 11th Dec 2016 10:10pm
Alien

Australia 
My replacements looks like this one...
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/t...ofit/2625/ Cheers,
Kyle.
Post #584274 11th Dec 2016 10:23pm
Giby_off

WhAT i am trying to explain is that when you are with light on one of the pins receives +12, the ground receives ground which is OK but the other PIN also receives ground and in this configuration most of the dual LEDs I've tested doe not work.
If you remove the ground from the second PIN the LED immediately lights up.

I will try to find LEDs like those proposed by Alien or will try to build two by myself. Most probably many other people are hitting the same problem.
Post #584461 12th Dec 2016 4:15pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It should be Earth, tail, brake.

Did you have tail and brake on the old lights? Sounds like it would either be tail only or brake only with that config.

Use an inditpenant earthing point if you haven't already to isolate the earth of the plugs.
You may as well check continuity whilst you are at it too.

Make sure everything is switched off.

Are you sure that it hasn't been required wrongly or polarity switched?

Could be that the earth is live and the two live feeds and now earth instead. (Switched polarity)

LED's are polarity sensitive too, so that is also worth bearing in mind.

But I definitely remember on mine it was - Earth, tail +, brake+ Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #584465 12th Dec 2016 4:39pm
Giby_off

The main problem is that stop wire is grounded when stop pedal is not pressed and has 12 V when pressed.
When bulb receives ground on one of the PINs it (except its ground) it does not work.
I tested the LED connected directly from the battery and everything is OK. Original bulb has stop and tail light.

I guess if I have bulb with 20 leds and 5 are turned on while lights are on and 20 on when stop is on then everything will be OK. Those leds which are on the market lower light intensity.
Post #584516 12th Dec 2016 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1